Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > xtra problems

xtra problems

geopelia

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> > whoisthis wrote:

don't want

> > > Which ones...
> > > Crap spam filtering
> > > Crap bandwidth
> > > Crap connection
> > > Crap help desk team

The help desk people have been very kind to me, explaining the technical
stuff I don't understand yet. I was surprised this time by how quickly they
answered. A few months ago it could take 15 minutes or so.
One problem though is that they give me a reference number, but if their
solution doesn't work it takes a while to get back to them, and then it is
usually not the same person who answers. I had to try four times last night,
which took up a lot of time.
Apparently it was a problem with the phones in this district and they got a
lot of calls about it.

I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more being
sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
offering girls, no good to me!

Geopelia

bambam

On Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:40:10 +1300, geopelia wrote:

> I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more being
> sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
> annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
> offering girls, no good to me!

No we aren't all getting this spam. Your email address in your headers is
not real is it?
I have had an account with xtra for 12 months, never had any spam.

whoisthis

"alastair.geek.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> whoisthis wrote:
>
> > In article <yguJf.150969$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Are the problems xtra had last night anywhere near being fixed? I don't
> > > want
> > > to have to keep phoning them.

> > Which ones...
> > Crap spam filtering
> > Crap bandwidth
> > Crap connection
> > Crap help desk team

> Don't forget their policy of blocking access to their POP server when
> their users are accessing the Internet through an alternative provider.
> Totally stupid.

Thats why I have a gmail account.

Its also nice to know when the new plans come out and I shift to another
ISP my mail will not get lost. The reason I do not change now is that I
am one of the fortunate ones who have a 192K upload speed and I don't
want to shift to a 128k link. So when the 512k uploads are available
then I will have no reason to stay with xtra.

I will seriously look at shifting everything, phone, tolls, internet to
clear and abandon telecom al together.

whoisthis

In article <_WDJf.151085$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more being
> sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
> annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
> offering girls, no good to me!
>
> Geopelia

BULLSHIT, I have multiple email accounts for home, work, etc. In the
other email accounts I have seen a reduction in the amount of spamm
getting through.

Last year I had 2-4 a week get through their filter, now I get up to 20
a day, ie a 3000% plus increase in spam.

By keeping the spam I have been able to do a comparison, Xtra are now
only blocking about 50% of the spam. If their filters were working
correctly I would still see a 90-100% blocking of spam.

The total amount of spam cmming into my Xtra account has NOT gone up,
only the amount that the filters let through has gone up.

Personally I am hoping that Telecom gets regulated and we end up with
even better internet plans. I do not believe that any company who
operates in a truly competitive environment can offer a 90% reduction in
price, which is exactly what they have done for business users. Telecom
has ripped us off for too long.

Another example of this is that their true costs per subscriber have
been dropping. Technology has allowed them to replace an exchange with
on that does twice the number of subscribers for the same cost that the
old one did 3 years ago. Fiber optics are more reliable and are able to
route more calls than copper can.

Telecom have been putting up line rentals to protect profits as
competition has eaten into the profits they used to make in tolls and
cellphones.

If telecom was truly as competitive as they try to make out then they
would have been able to compete in Australia, where as they have made a
complete **** up of it and have lost hundreds of millions. THAT is the
reason they keep fighting to maintain their monopoly status in NZ, if
there was actually competition then they would fail here too, even
incompetent management can make a profit in a monopoly situation.

If Theresa Gattung was really worth the 1-2 million dollars a year
because she was such a good CEO then she would have been able to make
money in Aussie too. Any idiot can make telecom profitable in the
current nz climate.

~misfit~

whoisthis wrote:
> Personally I am hoping that Telecom gets regulated and we end up with
> even better internet plans. I do not believe that any company who
> operates in a truly competitive environment can offer a 90% reduction
> in price, which is exactly what they have done for business users.
> Telecom has ripped us off for too long.
>
> Another example of this is that their true costs per subscriber have
> been dropping. Technology has allowed them to replace an exchange with
> on that does twice the number of subscribers for the same cost that
> the old one did 3 years ago. Fiber optics are more reliable and are
> able to route more calls than copper can.
>
> Telecom have been putting up line rentals to protect profits as
> competition has eaten into the profits they used to make in tolls and
> cellphones.
>
> If telecom was truly as competitive as they try to make out then they
> would have been able to compete in Australia, where as they have made
> a complete **** up of it and have lost hundreds of millions. THAT is
> the reason they keep fighting to maintain their monopoly status in
> NZ, if there was actually competition then they would fail here too,
> even incompetent management can make a profit in a monopoly situation.
>
> If Theresa Gattung was really worth the 1-2 million dollars a year
> because she was such a good CEO then she would have been able to make
> money in Aussie too. Any idiot can make telecom profitable in the
> current nz climate.

Hear hear!
--
~misfit~

alastair.geek.nz

whoisthis wrote:

> In article <_WDJf.151085$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more being
> > sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
> > annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
> > offering girls, no good to me!

> BULLSHIT, I have multiple email accounts for home, work, etc. In the
> other email accounts I have seen a reduction in the amount of spamm
> getting through.
>
> Last year I had 2-4 a week get through their filter, now I get up to 20
> a day, ie a 3000% plus increase in spam.
>
> By keeping the spam I have been able to do a comparison, Xtra are now
> only blocking about 50% of the spam. If their filters were working
> correctly I would still see a 90-100% blocking of spam.

The total number of spam messages that get through their filters is not
the important issue. What you should be looking at is the ratio between
the number of spams trapped in their filters, and the number of genuine
emails trapped in their filters.

For example, a filter which traps 50% of real spam and misidentifies 0%
of genuine mail may be preferrable to a filter which traps 90% of real
spam and misidentifies 5% of genuine mail. Automated spam filters will
never be a totally accurate, so there has to be a balancing act to
determine how aggressive the filters should be.

whoisthis

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"alastair.geek.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> whoisthis wrote:
>
> > In article <_WDJf.151085$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more
> > > being
> > > sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
> > > annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
> > > offering girls, no good to me!

> > BULLSHIT, I have multiple email accounts for home, work, etc. In the
> > other email accounts I have seen a reduction in the amount of spamm
> > getting through.
> >
> > Last year I had 2-4 a week get through their filter, now I get up to 20
> > a day, ie a 3000% plus increase in spam.
> >
> > By keeping the spam I have been able to do a comparison, Xtra are now
> > only blocking about 50% of the spam. If their filters were working
> > correctly I would still see a 90-100% blocking of spam.

> The total number of spam messages that get through their filters is not
> the important issue. What you should be looking at is the ratio between
> the number of spams trapped in their filters, and the number of genuine
> emails trapped in their filters.
>
> For example, a filter which traps 50% of real spam and misidentifies 0%
> of genuine mail may be preferrable to a filter which traps 90% of real
> spam and misidentifies 5% of genuine mail. Automated spam filters will
> never be a totally accurate, so there has to be a balancing act to
> determine how aggressive the filters should be.

The one at work is a better solution, it filters severely, however it
then has a white list to filter stuff back in. ALL spam is held for 28
days and there is a web form to check if you think something has been
lost, you can then with one click add them to the white list.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)mer
says...
> In article <_WDJf.151085$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > I told them I was getting a lot of spam now, that is due to a lot more being
> > sent lately. They are working on it. I suppose we are all getting that
> > annoying dating service several times a day. Unfortunately they are only
> > offering girls, no good to me!
> >
> > Geopelia

> BULLSHIT, I have multiple email accounts for home, work, etc. In the
> other email accounts I have seen a reduction in the amount of spamm
> getting through.
>
> Last year I had 2-4 a week get through their filter, now I get up to 20
> a day, ie a 3000% plus increase in spam.
>
> By keeping the spam I have been able to do a comparison, Xtra are now
> only blocking about 50% of the spam. If their filters were working
> correctly I would still see a 90-100% blocking of spam.
>
> The total amount of spam cmming into my Xtra account has NOT gone up,
> only the amount that the filters let through has gone up.
>
> Personally I am hoping that Telecom gets regulated and we end up with
> even better internet plans. I do not believe that any company who
> operates in a truly competitive environment can offer a 90% reduction in
> price, which is exactly what they have done for business users. Telecom
> has ripped us off for too long.
>
> Another example of this is that their true costs per subscriber have
> been dropping. Technology has allowed them to replace an exchange with
> on that does twice the number of subscribers for the same cost that the
> old one did 3 years ago. Fiber optics are more reliable and are able to
> route more calls than copper can.
>
> Telecom have been putting up line rentals to protect profits

Oh really? By the rate of inflation, which isn't going to produce any
real profit increase as such.

> If telecom was truly as competitive as they try to make out then they
> would have been able to compete in Australia, where as they have made a
> complete **** up of it and have lost hundreds of millions. THAT is the
> reason they keep fighting to maintain their monopoly status in NZ, if
> there was actually competition then they would fail here too, even
> incompetent management can make a profit in a monopoly situation.

Well actually, the situation in Australia is very different. There,
Telstra is the incumbent with market dominance.