Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Installing linux - Dual boot

Installing linux - Dual boot

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 01:32:32 +0000, Shane wrote:

> Disclaimer:
> I know sweet FA with samba (except with previously setup domains and
> putting XP clients on) so google may be needed if nobody is able to offer
> step by step The link I posted was from google, but it makes life look....
> painful Im *pretty sure* there are GUI tools for configuring samba these
> days HTH

After installation, the man page will be a good place to start, before
googling.

And install Webmin.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

Rob J

> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:12:52 +1300, Andrew wrote:
>
> > I am on a lan, I was meaning "share" - ie shared drives from a different
> > computer

> Are they Windows "shares" or NFS "shares"?
>
> NFS file sharing stuff is much simpler to do on *nix computers.

NFS is not very secure.

Rob J

> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:54:50 +1300, Rob J wrote:
>
> >> Linux can only mount NTFS partions on a read-only basis. Micro$oft has
> >> not published the complete specification for the NT file system and so
> >> Linux developers are having to reverse engineer that stuff.

> > No they aren't. Who said the they had to do anything like that?

> Are you suggesting that the technical specifications for the NT file
> system are freely available to Open Source developers, and that Linux
> supports stable read/write access to Micro$oft NT file systems?

Are you suggesting that Linux developers are forced to reverse engineer
NTFS?

There is clearly no force involved whatsoever.

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:05:06 +1300, Rob J wrote:

> Are you suggesting that Linux developers are forced to reverse engineer
> NTFS?
>
> There is clearly no force involved whatsoever.

Has the specification been openly published for everybody to use?

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:30:09 +1300 when I remembered A Nice Cup
of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>Windows cannot see any partitions with anything other than FAT or NT file
>systems.

http://www.fs-driver.org/

It provides Windows NT4.0/2000/XP with full access to Linux Ext2
volumes (read access and write access). This may be useful if you have
installed both Windows and Linux as a dual boot environment on your
computer.

The "Ext2 Installable File System for Windows" software is freeware.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

shannon

Bret wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:30:09 +1300, A Nice Cup of Tea <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 12:03:45 +1300, Andrew wrote:
>>
>>> So linux can see my windows shares
>>> and windows can see the linux shares

>> Linux can only mount NTFS partions on a read-only basis. Micro$oft has not
>> published the complete specification for the NT file system and so Linux
>> developers are having to reverse engineer that stuff. Linux, however, CAN
>> read and write to FAT file systems.
>>
>> Windows cannot see any partitions with anything other than FAT or NT file
>> systems.
>>
>> What this means is that you'll need to have a FAT partition in order to
>> easily share files between Windows and Linux on the one computer.
>>

> I assumed he was on a lan, he did say "shares" not partitions.
> You may be right, can the OP elaborate?

Tea bloke is wrong either way, You can add other file system support to
Windows with IFS so Windows can work with Linux partitions.
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ext2ifs.htm

shannon

Rob J wrote:

>>> No they aren't. Who said the they had to do anything like that?

>> Are you suggesting that the technical specifications for the NT file
>> system are freely available to Open Source developers, and that Linux
>> supports stable read/write access to Micro$oft NT file systems?

> Are you suggesting that Linux developers are forced to reverse engineer
> NTFS?
>
> There is clearly no force involved whatsoever.

What a WANKER

LOL

shannon

Shane wrote:
> On 2006-02-23, Andrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Shane wrote:
>>>>
>>> I read it that way as well, in which case it would be time to mention
>>> samba

>> Yes.. Samba
>>
>> I see that there are 2 options.... samba client and samba server
>>
>> Do i need both?
>> which does what..
>>

> As far as I can tell you are setting up a domain to share on
> Using samba server as the domain controller or pdc
> (Depending on how old you are
>
>> Do i need to install anything on the windows machine? or do i just put
>> samba on linux?
>>
>> I would imagine the steps are straight forward...
>>
>> Install it, run it then done?

> If only
> http://www.ccs.uky.edu/docs/samba.htm
> I *know* there is a registry hack to be done on a windows XP machine to allow
> it to connect to the samba domain (Its simple and painless, a single key needs
> changeing, as far as editing the registry goes)
>
> Disclaimer:
> I know sweet FA with samba (except with previously setup domains and putting
> XP clients on) so google may be needed if nobody is able to offer step by step
> The link I posted was from google, but it makes life look.... painful
> Im *pretty sure* there are GUI tools for configuring samba these days
> HTH

Yes, webmin, SWAT, and quite a bit of integration with nautilus or
konqueror in desktop distros.
Using smbpasswd -a to add users and editing the standard
/etc/samba/smb.conf to add shares is still pretty easy if you don't do GUI.

They look like

[public]
comment = Public Folder
path = /home/public
public = yes
writable = no
create mask = 0777
directory mask = 0777
force user = nobody
force group = nogroup

http://ubuntuguide.org/#sharepublicf...esecurityshare

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 01:07:19 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

>>Windows cannot see any partitions with anything other than FAT or NT file
>>systems.

> http://www.fs-driver.org/
>
> It provides Windows NT4.0/2000/XP with full access to Linux Ext2 volumes
> (read access and write access). This may be useful if you have installed
> both Windows and Linux as a dual boot environment on your computer.

That doesn't negate my point, as you're pointing to third party software.

There is no support from Redmond for Ext2, letalone Ext3, Reiser, or Unix
file systems - all of which would actually be useful.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:16:28 +1300, shannon wrote:

> Tea bloke is wrong either way, You can add other file system support to
> Windows with IFS so Windows can work with Linux partitions.

But that is THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE, not a part of Windows. Yes - that can be
done, but not by software provided on CD-ROM from Redmond.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer overflow attacks. By flooding a program with too much data, a hacker
can track and manipulate the overflow and trick the system into following his