Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > pcgear - auckland

pcgear - auckland

Andrew

These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it

just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan and
it never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the
original purchase price

Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
never got my refund
Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone number
etc - they have effectivly carried on

I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..

Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that happening?

Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they
right in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do anything

Baloo

Andrew wrote:
> These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it
>
> just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
> replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan and
> it never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the
> original purchase price
>
> Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
> never got my refund
> Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone number
> etc - they have effectivly carried on
>
> I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
> closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..
>
> Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that
> happening?
>
> Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they
> right in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do
> anything

Ok so what was the legal relationship between the Auckland company and
the Dunedin company? Was the Auckland operation merely a customer of
the Dunedin operation? If that is the case, I cannot see that the
Dunedin company would have any legal obligation to you. If you cannot
answer that question, do some digging on the companies website - this
may give you clues as to the relationship between the two businesses.

Problem is that going to a small claims hearing (if indeed there is a
relationship between them that transfers liability) may take more of you
r time than the motherboard is worth and you could loose.

hth

Warren

Andrew

Baloo wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>> These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it
>>
>> just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
>> replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan
>> and it never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the
>> original purchase price
>>
>> Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
>> never got my refund
>> Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone
>> number etc - they have effectivly carried on
>>
>> I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
>> closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..
>>
>> Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that
>> happening?
>>
>> Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they
>> right in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do
>> anything

> Ok so what was the legal relationship between the Auckland company and
> the Dunedin company? Was the Auckland operation merely a customer of
> the Dunedin operation? If that is the case, I cannot see that the
> Dunedin company would have any legal obligation to you. If you cannot
> answer that question, do some digging on the companies website - this
> may give you clues as to the relationship between the two businesses.
>

> Problem is that going to a small claims hearing (if indeed there is a
> relationship between them that transfers liability) may take more of you
> r time than the motherboard is worth and you could loose.
>
> hth
>
> Warren

Yea

Thats what i dont know... The legal relationship between the two

Craig Whitmore

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Baloo > Yea
>
> Thats what i dont know... The legal relationship between the two

look at http://www.companies.govt.nz

PC GEAR LIMITED (Stuck Off) - Auckland Company - SPENCER, Cedric Ricardo
PC GEAR DUNEDIN LIMITED (used top be PCGAMER Limited). LENNANE, Dale Ann +
LENNANE, Darryl

They don't look related at all.

Thanks
Craig

E. Scrooge

news:KjvIf.146443$(E-Mail Removed)...
> These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it
>
> just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
> replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan and it
> never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the original
> purchase price
>
> Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
> never got my refund
> Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone number
> etc - they have effectivly carried on
>
> I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
> closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..
>
> Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that
> happening?
>
> Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they right
> in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do anything

Since when did PC Gear in Dunedin ever take over ownership of PC Gear in
Auckland?

You gambled and lost. You would've paid more at a proper store but also got
a decent warranty instead of dealing with some outfit in Taiwan to sort it
out.
Chaep often means up the creek without a paddle should things go wrong.

E. Scrooge

Rob

news:KjvIf.146443$(E-Mail Removed)...
> These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it
>
> just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
> replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan and it
> never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the original
> purchase price
>
> Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
> never got my refund
> Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone number
> etc - they have effectivly carried on
>
> I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
> closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..
>
> Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that
> happening?
>
> Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they right
> in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do anything

They probably picked up the domain when it expired, and also picked up the
same phone number by asking telecom if it was avaliable. Effectively this
means they can pick up on the advertising (and bad name) of the company that
went bust, but they will probably also find a lot of old ripped off
customers like you will find them.

E. Scrooge

> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KjvIf.146443$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> These guys owe me a refund and have never paid it
>>
>> just over a year ago i sent a mainboard to them for a warranty
>> replacement, They decided to repair it by sending it back to taiwan and
>> it never came back. Declared lost i was promised a refund of the original
>> purchase price
>>
>> Then the manager of the company skipped the country and shut down... I
>> never got my refund
>> Now however pc gear in dunedin have taken over the website/phone number
>> etc - they have effectivly carried on
>>
>> I asked them about this refund and they replied saying pcgear auckland
>> closed suddenly and they owe money to alot of people including us..
>>
>> Obviously i still want my money back. Is there any chance of that
>> happening?
>>
>> Should pc gear in dunedin be stepping up to the plate.. or are they right
>> in saying they have nothing to do with it and dont have to do anything

> They probably picked up the domain when it expired, and also picked up the
> same phone number by asking telecom if it was avaliable. Effectively this
> means they can pick up on the advertising (and bad name) of the company
> that went bust, but they will probably also find a lot of old ripped off
> customers like you will find them.

They were both trading at the same time. It was stupid for the Dunedin
outfit to change their name to one that another outfit was already using.
The Dunedin outfit did do business with the Auckland one, but they were
hardly linked up in a partnership.

E. Scrooge

Photo Gallery - Greek Easter in Auckland, New Zealand _ April 2007 DONOTREPLY Digital Photography 0 05-24-2007 10:18 PM
PCGear goin bust? t0ad NZ Computing 10 03-13-2005 10:07 AM
who can record records onto cd's Hamilton / Auckland NZ Win Computer Support 2 03-03-2004 08:03 PM
Does anyone know of a place in Auckland that does XBOX upgrades? Rats NZ Computing 1 07-26-2003 08:07 AM
OT: Auckland Police Matthew Poole NZ Computing 5 07-18-2003 03:14 AM

Advertisments