Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Can't reveal (unhide) computer or its shares on home workgroup LAN

Can't reveal (unhide) computer or its shares on home workgroup LAN

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgQ2hlc2xlcg==?=

I've added a new Presario/Sempron running XP Home SP 2 to my home LAN.
Unlike every other computer I've added, this one is hidden to other computers
on the LAN and even to itself when looking at the Network Neighborhood. I
can access it by running //ComputerName but when I walk up the folders in
the Explorer window that opens and properly shows the shared folder, when
I get to the workgroup I can't see the folder up from which I just came.

Sharing is set to allow others to modify files. Windows Firewall allows
file sharing. There is no $ in any name, and to be sure I renamed the
computer, and renamed the workgroup on all the computers on the LAN.
I've run "net config server /hidden:no" and haven't seen anything funky
in the registry.

I have C:\ (root) shared, also a folder on C and also another drive that
corresponds to a media reader slot, but none of them, nor the computer, show
up.

How can I unhide the computer?

Jack

Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
to be shared.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"David Chesler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've added a new Presario/Sempron running XP Home SP 2 to my home LAN.
> Unlike every other computer I've added, this one is hidden to other
> computers
> on the LAN and even to itself when looking at the Network Neighborhood. I
> can access it by running //ComputerName but when I walk up the folders in
> the Explorer window that opens and properly shows the shared folder, when
> I get to the workgroup I can't see the folder up from which I just came.
>
> Sharing is set to allow others to modify files. Windows Firewall allows
> file sharing. There is no $ in any name, and to be sure I renamed the
> computer, and renamed the workgroup on all the computers on the LAN.
> I've run "net config server /hidden:no" and haven't seen anything funky
> in the registry.
>
> I have C:\ (root) shared, also a folder on C and also another drive that
> corresponds to a media reader slot, but none of them, nor the computer,
> show
> up.
>
> How can I unhide the computer?

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgQ2hlc2xlcg==?=

Thank you. Following the suggestions at
> http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html

I went to Safe Mode and allowed all access in the Security tab that
appeared. Now the computer shows up in the Folders pane of the old computer
in the workgroup under Network Neighborhood\Entire Network\X (where X is the
name of the workgroup) but in the details pane of that same Windows explorer
I see only the old computer and the other Win XP, but not the problematic
computer.

Firewall was already shut off.

I can still access the problematic computer by typing its UNC (\\Fish) in
the Explorer address and I see it all, and now also by double-clicking its
name on the left Folders pane, but when I go Up I'm in the Workgroup and I
can't see it.