Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Orcon email send error

Orcon email send error

Steve

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:04:47 +1300, Richard wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>> Hang about... why on earth are you using the orcon mail gateway from
>> telecon? No wonder it's telling you to bog off. You're probably the cause
>> of the IP address being blacklisted. Just use telecom's gateway when
>> you're logged on through them.
>>
>> That box is there because some ISPs require you to log on - it doesn't
>> give you the ability to authenticate to a mail gateway if it's set up to
>> only accept connections from a specific (orcon) ip address range.

> Perhaps because he wants to send email with his orcon address and actually have
> a hope of it getting thru spam filters, if it goes via the xtra one it will have
> absolutly nothing orcon related in the hosts its being thru so will be more
> likly to be tagged as spam, like all the emails that trademe sends out
> impersonating the address of there users do.

The From: and Reply-To: addresses in the email has absolutely nothing to
do with the sender. I also don't think that Xtra are filtering outgoing
emails.

Steve

Steve

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 20:14:10 +1300, Worm wrote:

> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hang about... why on earth are you using the orcon mail gateway from
>> telecon? No wonder it's telling you to bog off. You're probably the cause
>> of the IP address being blacklisted. Just use telecom's gateway when
>> you're logged on through them.
>>
>> That box is there because some ISPs require you to log on - it doesn't
>> give you the ability to authenticate to a mail gateway if it's set up to
>> only accept connections from a specific (orcon) ip address range.
>>
>> Steve

> Thank you for the advice - and explaining the logging on function. I am now
> using the Xtra outgoing mail server, and Orcon incoming.
>
> Cheers,
>

> Worm

Y're welcome.

Steve

Steve

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:08:15 +1300, Richard wrote:

> Rob J wrote:
>
>> No it doesn't, for the simple reason that most smtp servers authenticate
>> on the IP address of the connection. They are not set up for logging in
>> because that is not part of the SMTP protocol and is not required with
>> the above mentioned type of authentication.
>>
>> You must always use the SMTP service provided by the ISP you are
>> dialling out on unless you have access to another SMTP service that
>> works across domains.

> All well and good to do that before this little thing called spam filters, if
> you use the xtra smtp, and you post from an xtra ip address and the from field
> is an orcon address, then it will likly be treated as spam, if not raise
> suspicion with some of the anti-phising tools that are becoming common now.

Unlikely. I rather think that spam filters are only set for Incoming Mail.
Mind you, that could be why they're working so badly (:

> If SPF actually gets anywhere then it will be more important that the
> correct smtp server is used as the owner of the domain will have to make
> records saying which are allowed to be used to send from that domain.

It hasn't, and it won't. However, the From: address in an email is *not*
what is being validated. The content of an email is just payload, and can
contain anything you want. The validation has been taken care of in the
handshaking performed around it.

Steve

EMB

Steve wrote:

> The From: and Reply-To: addresses in the email has absolutely nothing to
> do with the sender. I also don't think that Xtra are filtering outgoing
> emails.

Learn about what sort of tests spam filters do - and then you'll
understand that it is becoming much mroe important for there to be a
relationship between the sender's email address and the server used.

And it's not Xtra filtering outgoing that's the proble, it's the
recipient's mail server filtering it upon arrival that may be an issue.

--
EMB

Gavin Tunney

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 01:08:15 +1300, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Rob J wrote:
>
>> No it doesn't, for the simple reason that most smtp servers authenticate
>> on the IP address of the connection. They are not set up for logging in
>> because that is not part of the SMTP protocol and is not required with
>> the above mentioned type of authentication.
>>
>> You must always use the SMTP service provided by the ISP you are
>> dialling out on unless you have access to another SMTP service that
>> works across domains.

>All well and good to do that before this little thing called spam filters, if
>you use the xtra smtp, and you post from an xtra ip address and the from field
>is an orcon address, then it will likly be treated as spam, if not raise
>suspicion with some of the anti-phising tools that are becoming common now.

Anyone who filters on that criteria would have to be pretty stupid
IMO. A good 90% of people who have their own domain name would be
using their ISPs SMTP server to send mail, but few of them would be
using the same ISP to host their domain. POP3 doesn't have the same
issues as SMTP, with the odd exception of crowds like Xtra you can log
into POP3 servers from anywhere, so plenty of people point their mx
records at cheap hosting companies for receiving mail & use their ISP
for sending only. It's pretty standard practice.

>If SPF actually gets anywhere then it will be more important that the correct
>smtp server is used as the owner of the domain will have to make records saying
>which are allowed to be used to send from that domain.

Here's hoping it never happens then, sounds like bureaucracy gone mad,

GT

Richard

EMB wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> The From: and Reply-To: addresses in the email has absolutely nothing to
>> do with the sender. I also don't think that Xtra are filtering outgoing
>> emails.

> Learn about what sort of tests spam filters do - and then you'll
> understand that it is becoming much mroe important for there to be a
> relationship between the sender's email address and the server used.
>
> And it's not Xtra filtering outgoing that's the proble, it's the
> recipient's mail server filtering it upon arrival that may be an issue.

Exactly

To a mail server, an email coming from (somedynamicIP).blah.cn to them with the
sender address of "(E-Mail Removed)" or one coming from
(somedynamicIP).xtra.co.nz with the sender address of "(E-Mail Removed)" are
just as suspicious.