Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Torque Screws

Reply
Thread Tools

Torque Screws

 
 
Andy Simpson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2006
Where could I get some torque screws from in Christchurch?

I need to screw an SCA SCSI hard drive into an HP/Compaq Hot-Plug drive
carrier.

Cheers, Andy.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rob J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2006
In article <cLSHf.144475$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)am says...
> Where could I get some torque screws from in Christchurch?


Sure you don't mean Torx?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mark Robinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2006
Andy Simpson wrote:
> Where could I get some torque screws from in Christchurch?
>
> I need to screw an SCA SCSI hard drive into an HP/Compaq Hot-Plug drive
> carrier.
>
> Cheers, Andy.


I think you mean Torx head screws.

Surely the size, thread pitch and length are more important than the head
socket style.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2006
Andy Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cLSHf.144475$vH5.1195325
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> Where could I get some torque screws from in Christchurch?
>
> I need to screw an SCA SCSI hard drive into an HP/Compaq Hot-Plug drive
> carrier.
>
> Cheers, Andy.



DSE has a set of common "strange" heads and gets the job done in a pinch.

Like others have said, you probably have the wrong name for the head.

--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andy Simpson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2006
Dave Taylor wrote:
> Andy Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:cLSHf.144475$vH5.1195325
> @news.xtra.co.nz:
>
>
>>Where could I get some torque screws from in Christchurch?
>>
>>I need to screw an SCA SCSI hard drive into an HP/Compaq Hot-Plug drive
>>carrier.
>>
>>Cheers, Andy.

>
>
>
> DSE has a set of common "strange" heads and gets the job done in a pinch.
>
> Like others have said, you probably have the wrong name for the head.
>


Yes, Torx size 15 is the head, I'm after the screws however, not the
screw drivers
 
Reply With Quote
 
Don Hills
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2006
In article <Xns9769B5CBC159Bdaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6> ,
Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>Like others have said, you probably have the wrong name for the head.


He has the wrong name, as has been pointed out the correct term is "Torx".
But he really does need Torx head screws. Compaq use them as "rails", the
heads slide into slots in the disk mounting frames. Most Compaq systems I've
looked at have two spare sets of Torx head screws included with the machine,
screwed into the metal front panel (behind the plastic one). The threads are
different, one set is to fit hard disks and the other for floppy drives I
think. (It's a real nuisance having two different thread pitches, you need
to have both threads in stock if you add drives to machines on a regular
basis.)

--
Don Hills (dmhills at attglobaldotnet) Wellington, New Zealand
"New interface closely resembles Presentation Manager,
preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
-- Advertisement on the box for Microsoft Windows 2.11 for 286
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jerry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2006
Don Hills wrote:
> In article <Xns9769B5CBC159Bdaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6> ,
> Dave Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Like others have said, you probably have the wrong name for the head.

>
>
> He has the wrong name, as has been pointed out the correct term is "Torx".
> But he really does need Torx head screws. Compaq use them as "rails", the
> heads slide into slots in the disk mounting frames. Most Compaq systems I've
> looked at have two spare sets of Torx head screws included with the machine,
> screwed into the metal front panel (behind the plastic one). The threads are
> different, one set is to fit hard disks and the other for floppy drives I
> think. (It's a real nuisance having two different thread pitches, you need
> to have both threads in stock if you add drives to machines on a regular
> basis.)
>


You get 50% - they are for hard or optical drives. In an emergency any
round headed screw will work, well, anything that will more or less fit
in the slot. I've seen more than a few people that don't worry much
about screw pitches, you just have to turn the screw harder, especially
on an optical drive. Don't worry about the aluminium shavings, they are
small.

Somehow spare screws seem to multiply. I'm quite careful to put back
all the bits I took out, and still have a huge selection of screws.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ewen McNeill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2006
In article <cLSHf.144475$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Andy Simpson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Where could I get some torque screws from in Christchurch?
>I need to screw an SCA SCSI hard drive into an HP/Compaq Hot-Plug drive
>carrier.


If you're doing what I had to do recently (put generic SCA hard drives
into modern HP hotplug trays -- eg DL380 G3, and many more) then the
head on the bolts doesn't matter much, but the thread (both pitch and
length) matters a lot. The threads I needed were 6-32 UNC 2B (mentioned
in quite a few harddrive specs), about 1/3rd of an inch long, which is
a very common US standard but difficult to track down in New Zealand.
(It's "6 guage", 32 threads per inch, with the UNC 2B thread pitch.
Surprisingly even some fastner specialists in NZ had trouble decoding
that.)

After much searching the best source I found was:

http://www.blackwoodspaykels.co.nz/

They appear to have a Christchurch branch.

I bought the SCREW M/T SS304 PAN UNC PHIL 6-32 X 1/2" (part 940644)
but it's borderline too long for the drives, even with the thickness of
the carrier. If I were doing it again I'd buy the SCREW M/T SS304 PAN
UNC PHIL 6-32 X 5/16" (part 1503487), which is a bit shorter. Both are
philips head rather than torx, but worked fine for me. About $30
including shipping for a box of 100.

If you're using old enough Compaq kit that it uses the bolt heads as
an integral part of the tray slide/locking mechanism then that won't
work for you (and your best option is probably to raid an old machine).
But my recollection is that none of those trays were (a) SCA or (b)
hotplug -- they were typically IDE in desktops.

Ewen
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2006
Jerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:43f030cf$(E-Mail Removed):

> Don't worry about the aluminium shavings, they are
> small.
>


U-huh
After you drive the server to someplace and the shaving moves...

--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2006
Andy Simpson wrote:

> Yes, Torx size 15 is the head, I'm after the screws however, not the
> screw drivers


If you're really stuck i could probably find some and courier them to
you. How many are you after?


--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wrenching Torque Mark Java 0 05-07-2004 08:12 PM
torque- connection error marcelino Java 0 03-01-2004 10:46 AM
6500 rack ear screws? Steve S. Cisco 1 02-13-2004 05:29 AM
OT online screws or is that schools Rick MCSE 4 12-11-2003 01:44 PM
Connection NULL Torque Postgresql web app mike Java 0 11-07-2003 03:32 PM



Advertisments