Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > New UBS plan - 512kbps Upload

New UBS plan - 512kbps Upload

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:47:20 +1300, -=rjh=- wrote:

>> That 200Mb cap plan looks real attractive - why would you even bother
>> with broadband if you are only using that much data?

Yup - than that can be downloaded in only a few days using dialup.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer overflow attacks. By flooding a program with too much data, a hacker
can track and manipulate the overflow and trick the system into following his

Nik Coughlin

A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:30:39 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:
>
>> The purpose of Telecom is to make as much money as possible, nothing
>> else. Nothing. If they thought that they could increase their
>> profits by selling their own dear grandmothers to the glue factory,
>> doubtless they would.

> Wrong!
>
> The purpose of Telecom... of telecomms corporations... is to provide
> communications infrastructure for those who want it, and to do so in a
> manner that generates a *reasonable* return on the investment
> involved.
>
> Telecom does not exist in isolation. It provides an essential utility
> to our community.

Idealistically, sure.

Realistically though, Telecom would quite happily downgrade all of us to
paper cup and string telecomms if they could increase their profits by doing
so *and* get away with it.

-Newsman-

Rob J wrote:
> In article <43eff59e$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>-=rjh=- wrote:

>>>When I saw the discussion here, I immediately thought - Orcon will be
>>>all over this, bugger.
>>>
>>>Go to the article, 4th paragraph is about Orcon

>>Oops, article I was referring to was not the one above, it was
>>http://aardvark.co.nz/, my bad. Comments still stand, though.

> Is Orcon a big company or a small company?

Bedwetter is one of its clients, so it must be pretty important.

> These legal cases must cost a fair amount of money, so far only the big
> players like Telstra have been game.
>
> If you're Orcon, you must be faced with two options:
> - Go with Telecom and sell cheap broadband to your customers
> - Go for legal action and have to recover the costs of such action in
> higher prices.

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:02:54 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

>>> The purpose of Telecom is to make as much money as possible, nothing
>>> else. Nothing. If they thought that they could increase their profits
>>> by selling their own dear grandmothers to the glue factory, doubtless
>>> they would.

>> Wrong!
>>
>> The purpose of Telecom... of telecomms corporations... is to provide
>> communications infrastructure for those who want it, and to do so in a
>> manner that generates a *reasonable* return on the investment involved.
>>
>> Telecom does not exist in isolation. It provides an essential utility to
>> our community.
>>

> Idealistically, sure.
>
> Realistically though, Telecom would quite happily downgrade all of us to
> paper cup and string telecomms if they could increase their profits by
> doing so *and* get away with it.

This is why Essential infrastructure should not, IMHO, be operated as a
for-profit enterprise. It should be community-owned and operated in such a
way as to cover operating costs and asset purchases for future operational
requirements.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Every major worm other than the original Morris Worm from 1988 has leveraged
a hole in Microsoft products.

Nik Coughlin

A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

>>> Wrong!
>>>
>>> The purpose of Telecom... of telecomms corporations... is to provide
>>> communications infrastructure for those who want it, and to do so
>>> in a manner that generates a *reasonable* return on the investment
>>> involved.
>>>
>>> Telecom does not exist in isolation. It provides an essential
>>> utility to our community.
>>>

>> Idealistically, sure.
>>
>> Realistically though, Telecom would quite happily downgrade all of
>> us to paper cup and string telecomms if they could increase their
>> profits by doing so *and* get away with it.

> This is why Essential infrastructure should not, IMHO, be operated as
> a for-profit enterprise. It should be community-owned and operated in
> such a way as to cover operating costs and asset purchases for future
> operational requirements.

....or effectively regulated to ensure same?

Rob J

In article <43f008b8$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> >> Idealistically, sure.
> >>
> >> Realistically though, Telecom would quite happily downgrade all of
> >> us to paper cup and string telecomms if they could increase their
> >> profits by doing so *and* get away with it.

> > This is why Essential infrastructure should not, IMHO, be operated as
> > a for-profit enterprise. It should be community-owned and operated in
> > such a way as to cover operating costs and asset purchases for future
> > operational requirements.
> >

> ...or effectively regulated to ensure same?

The commerce commission is ineffective, a toothless regulator.
"Not for profit" means presumably a bloated government bureacracy. A bit
like the old Post office, locked us all into old phones and old
technology.

Zonky

Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) z:

> "Not for profit" means presumably a bloated government bureacracy. A bit
> like the old Post office, locked us all into old phones and old
> technology.

Corporate Monopoly or Government Bureacracy; not much of a choice in
anyones language.
In any case, you're talking about the 'last mile', not the entire phone
network.

--
Please remove my_pants when replying by email.

Mutley

"Kent Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
>> speed, to be ready by April 1st:
>>

>And anyone who buys it is a fool.

Unfortunately the great dumbed down population in NZ will swallow
this. Judging by the main item in 3 News tonite it looks like they
have and the GVT have as well.

Gordon

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:48:47 +1300, Rob J wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
>> speed, to be ready by April 1st:
>>
>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/...25711000701FA4

> Broadband for the masses, which is the major issue, should be 256K/128K,
> 500MB with capping to 64K over this, $29.95. No ISP in NZ offers that,
> or anything like it, because, presumably, Telecom won't countenance it.

http://www.woosh.com/ContentClient/I...etPricing.aspx

Okay, so not everyone can get it, but it does *exist*. Try to think
outside Telecom.

Gordon

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:03:19 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

> A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:10:24 +1300, Nova wrote:
>>
>>> Again it is just telecom doing the bare minimum to escape regulation
>>> of course.

>> Agreed.
>>
>> There is no good reason why All towns and cities within New Zealand
>> cannot have full-speed, uncapped, unrestricted, flat-rate, affordable
>> DSL.

> Yes there is, shareholder dividends.

No tell me again why all the people of this country are not shareholders?