Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vista in Education?

Vista in Education?

Dibley Fanshaw

School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.

Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

--
Dibley

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:24:24 +1300 when I remembered Dibley
Fanshaw <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
>Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
>platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
>
>Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
>2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

Probably not, but more of a sign that interface design isn't going to
change dramatically (not withstanding things like Project Looking
Glass from Sun) over the next 10 years or so. In terms of just
Windows, we've had the task bar and the start button since Windows 95,
and we're still using the task bar and the icons/windows thing.

I can't imagine the type of processing power that will be available to
people in 2018. I was reading that Intel and AMD are getting ready to
release Quad-core CPUs in 2007. Me thinks time for an upgrade next
year.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

shannon

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 07:24:24 +1300, Dibley Fanshaw wrote:

> School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
> Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
> platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
>
> Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
> 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

No, it means that Macs didn't live up to their hype.
They are just another computer, but with a history of large and disruptive
hardware upgrades.

Schools are real world users that have to consider real world economics.
They buy computers now just like they buy contract furniture.

thing2

Dibley Fanshaw wrote:
> School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
> Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
> platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
>
> Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
> 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

Not sure where you get this "often dump macs" from, my local school has
had and is continuing to keep Macs as the primary school technology.
This is not the only one I know of.

My children use macs, wintel and lintel at home (macs at school), they
really dont seem to care what the OS is as long as they get access to
the program/game they want. So I wonder if this OS bigitory/preference
will not be/is totally irrelevent to the next generation....

The local Uni operates Macs, it would seem that it is the ITS Dept
(which is Windows dominated) that wants to get rid of them, but
fortunately there is a die hard mac following of very senior staff who
say no.

I see this as good not least as the wintel desktops are far more trouble
than the Mac ones (but the Macs lack the tools and dont operate well
with the MS / Linux backend servers).

While Macs might make good desktops their performance is dubious as file
and print servers and their interoperability in a decent sized network
is problematical.

As long as Apple fail to deal with these two problems adequately,
replacing Macs with Win/lintel is going to be an issue though.....

regards

Thing

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
> Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
> platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
>
> Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
> 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
switched. How stupid can you be?

Bret

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
>Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
>platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
>
>Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
>2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

LOL

Bret

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:54:52 +1300, Rob J
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
>> Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
>> platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
>>
>> Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
>> 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

>Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
>switched. How stupid can you be?

Well he got you didn't he

Dibley Fanshaw

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
> > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
> > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
> >
> > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
> > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

> Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
> switched. How stupid can you be?

But MacOS XI.7 (Ocelot) at their present rate.

It's scary to look back at what we were using 12 years ago and try to
extrapolate forward. For Apple 1994 was MacOS 7.5 and the first
PowerPCs.

What were Windows doing?

--
Dibley

shannon

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:16:27 +1300, Dibley Fanshaw wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
>> > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
>> > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
>> >
>> > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
>> > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

>> Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
>> switched. How stupid can you be?

> But MacOS XI.7 (Ocelot) at their present rate.
>
> It's scary to look back at what we were using 12 years ago and try to
> extrapolate forward. For Apple 1994 was MacOS 7.5 and the first
> PowerPCs.
>
> What were Windows doing?

Goodness knows, but despite the Macs headstart, they seem to have the same
sort of abysmal market share now that they always did.
12 years of talking the talk has resulted in Macs only being available at
maybe one dealer shop in each major city, no good support infrastructure,
working methods that involve carrying around firewire drives rather than
good networking and a snobby user base of cardy clad enthusiasts that
spend all their time sniping at Windows rather than just getting on and
doing whatever they do with their latte quaffing designer toys.

Peter

Dibley Fanshaw wrote:

> School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
> Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
> platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
>
> Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
> 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

A big trouble is that the Education Ministry has entered into (AFAIK) a lump
sum licencing agreement to provide software for state and intergrated
schools, so there is no incremental software costs for schools when buying
or upgrading to more computers using MS software.