Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Vista in Education?

Vista in Education?

Brett Roberts

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dibley Fanshaw wrote:
>
>> School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
>> Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
>> platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
>>
>> Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
>> 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?
>>

> A big trouble is that the Education Ministry has entered into (AFAIK) a
> lump
> sum licencing agreement to provide software for state and intergrated
> schools, so there is no incremental software costs for schools when buying
> or upgrading to more computers using MS software.

FWIW, the agreement you're referring to is the Schools Agreement originally
signed in 2002 and re-signed in 2004:

http://www.microsoft.com/nz/presscen...21_school.mspx

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ

Dibley Fanshaw

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
shannon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
> >> switched. How stupid can you be?

> > But MacOS XI.7 (Ocelot) at their present rate.
> >
> > It's scary to look back at what we were using 12 years ago and try to
> > extrapolate forward. For Apple 1994 was MacOS 7.5 and the first
> > PowerPCs.
> >
> > What were Windows doing?

> Goodness knows, but despite the Macs headstart, they seem to have the same
> sort of abysmal market share now that they always did.

Depends on the market. Around 7% overall (including the legions of
totally nailed down corporate boxes), but over 50% in sciences,
particularly the biologicals and higher still in music, film and
graphics.

> 12 years of talking the talk has resulted in Macs only being available at
> maybe one dealer shop in each major city,

Check your phone directory. ChCh has at least 4 chains and access to
excellent on-line suppliers.

> no good support infrastructure,

Actually wrong, but of course they need a lot less support anyway.
That's one of their strongest selling features.

> working methods that involve carrying around firewire drives rather than
> good networking

Macs have always had built in networking since 1984 and built-in
ethernet in all models since 1998. We don't even have to carry around a
FW drive these days, a FW cable will do, for booting in Target Disk
Mode.

> and a snobby user base of cardy clad enthusiasts

jeans and sweater seem to be more of a uniform. It's a minor historical
fact that the Apple HQ in Cupertino was the first place where corporate
workers were encouraged to turn up in casual clothes. You wouldn't
believe how stifled we were prior to the 80's.

> that
> spend all their time sniping at Windows rather than just getting on and
> doing whatever they do with their latte quaffing designer toys.

Like, well, everything!

--
Dibley

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
> > > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
> > > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
> > >
> > > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
> > > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?

> > Oh sure, and Mac OSX will still be in use in those schools that haven't
> > switched. How stupid can you be?

> But MacOS XI.7 (Ocelot) at their present rate.
>
> It's scary to look back at what we were using 12 years ago and try to
> extrapolate forward. For Apple 1994 was MacOS 7.5 and the first
> PowerPCs.
>
> What were Windows doing?

Still 3.1 but 95 was just around the corner.

Considering how many generations that is removed from Vista, your
original post is crassly idiotic.

Rob J

> Dibley Fanshaw wrote:
>
> > School often dump their (usually ancient) Macs and replace them with
> > Wintel boxes on the pretext that children are better off using the
> > platform/software at school that they will use out in the real world.
> >
> > Is this an admission that when the kids reach the workforce, say around
> > 2018, XP will still in use with no sign of its replacement?
> >

> A big trouble is that the Education Ministry has entered into (AFAIK) a lump
> sum licencing agreement to provide software for state and intergrated
> schools, so there is no incremental software costs for schools when buying
> or upgrading to more computers using MS software.

So far as I know the MS agreement essentially matches the existing Apple
one.

Dibley Fanshaw

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > But MacOS XI.7 (Ocelot) at their present rate.
> >
> > It's scary to look back at what we were using 12 years ago and try to
> > extrapolate forward. For Apple 1994 was MacOS 7.5 and the first
> > PowerPCs.
> >
> > What were Windows doing?

> Still 3.1 but 95 was just around the corner.
>
> Considering how many generations that is removed from Vista, your
> original post is crassly idiotic.

Please explain...

--
Dibley