Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Connecting D Link DSL-504G to a D lInkDI-524

Connecting D Link DSL-504G to a D lInkDI-524

JJ

I have a Dlink DSL-504G which is a ADSL modem with some ethnernet ports
on it. Hoked up to Ihug and works fine.

I also have Dlink DI-524 which is a wireless router. Anybody know how
I can connect these up so that all my client computers connect to the
wireless router, and then my wireless router picks up the ADSL
connection from the DSL-504G???

The ihug man said just to plug the two routers together, and then feed
my clients off the wireless router, which I've done. I can ping the
wireless router from my PC, but I can't get through to the ADSL
router's IP?

Abyone done this before successfully?

Thanks

PC

"JJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a Dlink DSL-504G which is a ADSL modem with some ethnernet ports
> on it. Hoked up to Ihug and works fine.
>
> I also have Dlink DI-524 which is a wireless router. Anybody know how
> I can connect these up so that all my client computers connect to the
> wireless router, and then my wireless router picks up the ADSL
> connection from the DSL-504G???
>
> The ihug man said just to plug the two routers together, and then feed
> my clients off the wireless router, which I've done. I can ping the
> wireless router from my PC, but I can't get through to the ADSL
> router's IP?
>
> Abyone done this before successfully?
>
> Thanks

Jon

I have a 624+ but it works similar

You have to ignore the 'Wan' socket and plug one of the 524 LAN sockets to
one of the LAN sockets on your 504G.

I 'think' you turn DHCP off in the 524 but I simply can't remember it's so
long since I did it.

I didn't get stellar performance out of this setup (possibly due to WinME on
my laptop) and I did find a document from Dlink that explained how to do it
but they did 'not' recommend it.

I've since gone to an access point only (no LAN or WAN ports) hanging off my
Switch and have found it a much more reliable configuration.

May I suggest a good trawl through Dlinks websites FAQ's

Best luck
Paul.

PC

"PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jtxHf.141533$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>I have a Dlink DSL-504G which is a ADSL modem with some ethnernet ports
>> on it. Hoked up to Ihug and works fine.
>>
>> I also have Dlink DI-524 which is a wireless router. Anybody know how
>> I can connect these up so that all my client computers connect to the
>> wireless router, and then my wireless router picks up the ADSL
>> connection from the DSL-504G???
>>
>> The ihug man said just to plug the two routers together, and then feed
>> my clients off the wireless router, which I've done. I can ping the
>> wireless router from my PC, but I can't get through to the ADSL
>> router's IP?
>>
>> Abyone done this before successfully?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Jon
>
> I have a 624+ but it works similar
>
> You have to ignore the 'Wan' socket and plug one of the 524 LAN sockets to
> one of the LAN sockets on your 504G.
>
> I 'think' you turn DHCP off in the 524 but I simply can't remember it's so
> long since I did it.
>
> I didn't get stellar performance out of this setup (possibly due to WinME
> on my laptop) and I did find a document from Dlink that explained how to
> do it but they did 'not' recommend it.
>
> I've since gone to an access point only (no LAN or WAN ports) hanging off
> my Switch and have found it a much more reliable configuration.
>
> May I suggest a good trawl through Dlinks websites FAQ's
>
> Best luck
> Paul.

JJ

Scrub that, I seem to remember now my neighbour has a 524G and it just
plugged Wan on the 524G to Lan on the 504G.
Do remember ringing DLink about it, may be worth a call yourself.

(on my 624+ Lan to Lan was how I tried it though)

Cheers
Paul.

Enkidu

JJ wrote:
> I have a Dlink DSL-504G which is a ADSL modem with some ethnernet ports
> on it. Hoked up to Ihug and works fine.
>
> I also have Dlink DI-524 which is a wireless router. Anybody know how
> I can connect these up so that all my client computers connect to the
> wireless router, and then my wireless router picks up the ADSL
> connection from the DSL-504G???
>
> The ihug man said just to plug the two routers together, and then feed
> my clients off the wireless router, which I've done. I can ping the
> wireless router from my PC, but I can't get through to the ADSL
> router's IP?

I'd guess that the problem is routing. What's the default gateway on the
PC? It should be the 524.

Cheers,

Cliff

Gordon

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:56:15 +1300, PC wrote:

> I 'think' you turn DHCP off in the 524 but I simply can't remember it's so
> long since I did it.

A LAN shall only have one DHCP server. It matters not where it is on the
LAN, but all these routers etc which have one have it turned on by default.

Enkidu

Gordon wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:56:15 +1300, PC wrote:
>

>>I 'think' you turn DHCP off in the 524 but I simply can't remember it's so
>>long since I did it.

> A LAN shall only have one DHCP server. It matters not where it is on the
> LAN, but all these routers etc which have one have it turned on by default.

That's true if there is only one network segment. It sounds like he has
two unless I'm mistaken, the one between the two routers and the
wireless one. DHCP broadcasts do not route so you would need what Cisco
calls a 'helper' if you want one DHCP server to serve more than one segment.

Cheers,

Cliff

Richard

PC wrote:

> Scrub that, I seem to remember now my neighbour has a 524G and it just
> plugged Wan on the 524G to Lan on the 504G.
> Do remember ringing DLink about it, may be worth a call yourself.
>
> (on my 624+ Lan to Lan was how I tried it though)

Going thru 2 NATs is not recommended, it will also mean that upnp breaks.

If you are to do this then one of the routers will need to have its LAN IP range
changed from the default as none of the ones I have had a play with support
using the same subnet on the internal and external interfaces of the address
translation.

Steve

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:24:11 +1300, Gordon wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 15:56:15 +1300, PC wrote:
>
>> I 'think' you turn DHCP off in the 524 but I simply can't remember it's so
>> long since I did it.

> A LAN shall only have one DHCP server. It matters not where it is on the
> LAN, but all these routers etc which have one have it turned on by default.

B*ll*cks. If you want to serve your wireless segment with a separate DHCP
server to your wired one, then that's fine. Just make sure that the ranges
don't overlap.

You could even get the ADSL router to allocate the Wireless router's
IP address, etc, and use theWireless router to allocate everything else.

Steve

PC

"JJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have a Dlink DSL-504G which is a ADSL modem with some ethnernet ports
> on it. Hoked up to Ihug and works fine.
>
> I also have Dlink DI-524 which is a wireless router. Anybody know how
> I can connect these up so that all my client computers connect to the
> wireless router, and then my wireless router picks up the ADSL
> connection from the DSL-504G???
>
> The ihug man said just to plug the two routers together, and then feed
> my clients off the wireless router, which I've done. I can ping the
> wireless router from my PC, but I can't get through to the ADSL
> router's IP?
>
> Abyone done this before successfully?
>
> Thanks

JJ

More remembering.

The Wan on the 524 picks it's IP up from the 504, then provides DHCP IP's
for all PC's that connect via wireless LAN.
The initial problem I had was getting the 524 to get an IP from the 504,
hence the call to Dlink.
This then gave 'Net' access.
Well that's how I remember it anyway.

Not to sure about Workgroup access, may have to look at bridging the 504 &
524, others better equiped may wish to comment.

Cheers
Paul.