Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Output display to LCD TV

Output display to LCD TV

Mark

Hi there....

I think it should be possible to set up my HP nx6120 so that my primary
display is the notebook screen running at one resolution, and my TV as
secondary display running at another resolution. However, although all the
settings look OK to me, I cannot output the secondary display to the TV - it
only outputs the primary. (in both cases the 'identify' returns as 1 rather
than 1 & 2 respectively.)

Any tips would be most welcome. I am interested in this for both the monitor
(serial type plug) and also S-Video (TV provides for both)

Any help would be most welcome.

TIA

Mark

Rob J

In article <yCiHf.141456$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Hi there....
>
> I think it should be possible to set up my HP nx6120 so that my primary
> display is the notebook screen running at one resolution, and my TV as
> secondary display running at another resolution. However, although all the
> settings look OK to me, I cannot output the secondary display to the TV - it
> only outputs the primary. (in both cases the 'identify' returns as 1 rather
> than 1 & 2 respectively.)
>
> Any tips would be most welcome. I am interested in this for both the monitor
> (serial type plug) and also S-Video (TV provides for both)
>
> Any help would be most welcome.

Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
humph!)
Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
in Windows.

On some laptops it has to be connected before turning the power on.

XPD

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
> humph!)
> Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
> in Windows.

Thats a bit harsh..... theyve come in here for help and youre telling them
to get stuffed.....Im sure you wernt born knowing everything and had to
learn.

Rufus Goetz

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:29:08 +1300, Rob J wrote:

> In article <yCiHf.141456$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi there....
>>
>> I think it should be possible to set up my HP nx6120 so that my primary
>> display is the notebook screen running at one resolution, and my TV as
>> secondary display running at another resolution. However, although all the
>> settings look OK to me, I cannot output the secondary display to the TV - it
>> only outputs the primary. (in both cases the 'identify' returns as 1 rather
>> than 1 & 2 respectively.)
>>
>> Any tips would be most welcome. I am interested in this for both the monitor
>> (serial type plug) and also S-Video (TV provides for both)
>>
>> Any help would be most welcome.

> Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
> humph!)
> Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
> in Windows.
>
> On some laptops it has to be connected before turning the power on.

OP politely posts a question, so you belittle him for his lack of knowledge
and tell him to find someone knowledgable to answer it?

(Well, duh!)

Your post reeks of arsehole.

--
R A G

Mark

Jeez - what a plonker!!

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> In article <yCiHf.141456$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Hi there....
>>
>> I think it should be possible to set up my HP nx6120 so that my primary
>> display is the notebook screen running at one resolution, and my TV as
>> secondary display running at another resolution. However, although all
>> the
>> settings look OK to me, I cannot output the secondary display to the TV -
>> it
>> only outputs the primary. (in both cases the 'identify' returns as 1
>> rather
>> than 1 & 2 respectively.)
>>
>> Any tips would be most welcome. I am interested in this for both the
>> monitor
>> (serial type plug) and also S-Video (TV provides for both)
>>
>> Any help would be most welcome.

> Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
> humph!)
> Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
> in Windows.
>
> On some laptops it has to be connected before turning the power on.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)....nz says...

> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> > Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
> > humph!)
> > Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
> > in Windows.

> Thats a bit harsh..... theyve come in here for help and youre telling them
> to get stuffed.....Im sure you wernt born knowing everything and had to
> learn.

If there is such an obvious lack, how do you explain basic concepts?

A serial port connector is male, 9 pin, a VGA is female, 15 pin.
Superficially they are somewhat similar in appearance.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)....nz says...

> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> > Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
> > humph!)
> > Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
> > in Windows.

> Thats a bit harsh..... theyve come in here for help and youre telling them
> to get stuffed.....Im sure you wernt born knowing everything and had to
> learn.

OK then - where is your morally superior answer to the original
questions?

Rob J

says...
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 13:29:08 +1300, Rob J wrote:
>
> > In article <yCiHf.141456$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >> Hi there....
> >>
> >> I think it should be possible to set up my HP nx6120 so that my primary
> >> display is the notebook screen running at one resolution, and my TV as
> >> secondary display running at another resolution. However, although all the
> >> settings look OK to me, I cannot output the secondary display to the TV - it
> >> only outputs the primary. (in both cases the 'identify' returns as 1 rather
> >> than 1 & 2 respectively.)
> >>
> >> Any tips would be most welcome. I am interested in this for both the monitor
> >> (serial type plug) and also S-Video (TV provides for both)
> >>
> >> Any help would be most welcome.

> > Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
> > humph!)
> > Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
> > in Windows.
> >
> > On some laptops it has to be connected before turning the power on.

> OP politely posts a question, so you belittle him for his lack of knowledge
> and tell him to find someone knowledgable to answer it?
>
> (Well, duh!)
>
> Your post reeks of arsehole.

OK then - where is your morally superior answer to the original
questions?

Mark

morally superior?? you need help mate......

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)....nz says...
>>
>> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
>> > Since your post reeks of non-technical knowhow ("Serial type plug",
>> > humph!)
>> > Find someone knowledgable who can help you enable the secondary display
>> > in Windows.

>> Thats a bit harsh..... theyve come in here for help and youre telling
>> them
>> to get stuffed.....Im sure you wernt born knowing everything and had to
>> learn.

> OK then - where is your morally superior answer to the original
> questions?

David

Mark wrote:
> Hi there....
>
> I think it should be possible to set up my HP nx6120 so that my primary
> display is the notebook screen running at one resolution, and my TV as
> secondary display running at another resolution. However, although all the
> settings look OK to me, I cannot output the secondary display to the TV - it
> only outputs the primary. (in both cases the 'identify' returns as 1 rather
> than 1 & 2 respectively.)
>
> Any tips would be most welcome. I am interested in this for both the monitor
> (serial type plug) and also S-Video (TV provides for both)
>
> Any help would be most welcome.
>
> TIA
>
> Mark

What sort of graphics card does it have? I know the ATi drivers (the
ones with the old control panel, haven't tried the new .NET based
control panel) are very helpful for this, You can set each device to
mirror another or behave as an independant display. On my laptop it is
necessary to turn it off and back on to enable VGA out (once the plug is
connected). Hibernating and resuming works, no need for a full reboot.