Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SORBS crap

SORBS crap

Rob J

We are gettings lots of blocks for Xtra, Paradise and Hotmail just
because some of their servers appear in SORBs lists.

SORBS is going the way of ORBS, causing a lot of trouble for everyday
people who don't send spam and just happen to use shared servers with a
few rogue users. Their credibility is going downhill fast.

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 13:42:43 +1300, Rob J wrote:

> We are gettings lots of blocks for Xtra, Paradise and Hotmail just
> because some of their servers appear in SORBs lists.
>
> SORBS is going the way of ORBS, causing a lot of trouble for everyday
> people who don't send spam and just happen to use shared servers with a
> few rogue users. Their credibility is going downhill fast.

Sounds like it's working as intended. It is up to those ISPs to ensure
their servers are not abused by their clients!

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him

Craig Whitmore

Can you give some examples? If someone is on an RBL, there usually is
a VERY good reason they are on it.

Thanks
Craig

news:(E-Mail Removed) z...

In article <43ed41a4$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Can you give some examples? If someone is on an RBL, there usually is
> a VERY good reason they are on it.
>
> Thanks
> Craig
>
> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> > We are gettings lots of blocks for Xtra, Paradise and Hotmail just
> > because some of their servers appear in SORBs lists.
> >
> > SORBS is going the way of ORBS, causing a lot of trouble for everyday
> > people who don't send spam and just happen to use shared servers with a
> > few rogue users. Their credibility is going downhill fast.

There is approximately one mail server from each of Xtra and Paradise
included in SORBS' blacklist, and a number of Hotmail servers. I also
found a listing for a Computer Associates mail server.

A search of the net tells us that SORBs is run in part by the
discredited ORBs operator Alan Brown.

Log entries:

Jan 31 23:23:10 postfix/smtpd[9955]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
listserv.ca.com[141.202.248.221]: 554 Service unavailable; Client host
[141.202.248.221] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Spam Received

Feb 10 01:10:09 postfix/smtpd[7614]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from bay13-
f24.bay13.hotmail.com[64.4.31.24]: 554 Service unavailable; Client host
[64.4.31.24] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Spam Received

Jan 23 11:53:16 postfix/smtpd[10094]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from bay18-
f22.bay18.hotmail.com[65.54.187.72]: 554 Service unavailable; Client
host [65.54.187.72] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Spam Received

Jan 31 11:22:26 postfix/smtpd[2994]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from bay21-
f20.bay21.hotmail.com[65.54.233.109]: 554 Service unavailable; Client
host [65.54.233.109] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net;

Feb 5 17:25:22 postfix/smtpd[10370]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from bay18-
f14.bay18.hotmail.com[65.54.187.64]: 554 Service unavailable; Client
host [65.54.187.64] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Spam Received

Feb 6 02:13:21 postfix/smtpd[17978]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from bay18-
f7.bay18.hotmail.com[65.54.187.57]: 554 Service unavailable; Client host
[65.54.187.57] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Spam Received

Feb 7 08:47:34 postfix/smtpd[9109]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from bay18-
f16.bay18.hotmail.com[65.54.187.66]: 554 Service unavailable; Client
host [65.54.187.66] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Spam Received

Feb 7 15:52:44 postfix/smtpd[10411]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from bay24-
f6.bay24.hotmail.com[64.4.18.56]: 554 Service unavailable; Client host
[64.4.18.56] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Spam Received

Feb 8 21:40:15 postfix/smtpd[23308]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from bm-
1a.paradise.net.nz[203.96.152.180]: 554 Service unavailable; Client host
[203.96.152.180] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Spam Received

Jan 29 16:03:13 postfix/smtpd[19890]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from 203-96-
148-146.apx1.paradise.net.nz[203.96.148.146]: 554 Service unavailable;
Client host [203.96.148.146] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Exploitable
Server

an 24 11:12:24 postfix/smtpd[18631]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mta207-
rme.xtra.co.nz[210.86.15.118]: 554 Service unavailable; Client host
[210.86.15.118] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Spam Received

Jan 25 22:26:00 postfix/smtpd[13165]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from 203-96-
101-32.dialup.xtra.co.nz[203.96.101.32]: 554 Service unavailable; Client
host [203.96.101.32] blocked using dnsbl.sorbs.net; Dynamic IP Addresses

Tony

Oh that's bolloks Craig and you know it. As you know SORBS is not run to
any credible standard of common sense. As mentioned on the NZNOG list
recently I personally had a "new" /21 from APNIC that was SORBS listed
before it was even in use. It took over a month to get it removed and
only after virtually having to beg. Any ISP using SORBS for blocking
mail is being extremely foolhardy. That Matthew Sullivan guy is a real
up himself jerk.

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> Can you give some examples? If someone is on an RBL, there usually is
> a VERY good reason they are on it.
>
> Thanks
> Craig
>
> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
>> We are gettings lots of blocks for Xtra, Paradise and Hotmail just
>> because some of their servers appear in SORBs lists.
>>
>> SORBS is going the way of ORBS, causing a lot of trouble for everyday
>> people who don't send spam and just happen to use shared servers with a
>> few rogue users. Their credibility is going downhill fast.

Craig Whitmore

>> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
>> > We are gettings lots of blocks for Xtra, Paradise and Hotmail just
>> > because some of their servers appear in SORBs lists.

I've used quite a number of RBL's in the past, and I've found SORBS
(dnsbl.sorbs.net ) a little TOO
strict in what it has listed. I would never use it myself. it just blocks
TOO much . (from personally testing)

If you check the listing.. most of those IP addresses are listed as they
sent to spamtrap
email addresses, so they get listed. The other one (xtra) is listed as its
in a dyanmic
range that sorbs thinks so it should send directly (maybe this one is spam
in the past)

Saying SORBS is too strict.. the ones I suggest people use are:

blackholes.mail-abuse.org
sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org (This is quite a good one)
dsn.rfc-ignorant.org
relays.ordb.org
cbl.abuseat.org
bl.spamcop.net

But its up to whoever is running the mailserver to use whatever they feel
comfortable running.

Yes ORBS (NZ run RBL) got in the media a while back (see
http://www.spam.co.nz/spamhistory.html
(Work in Progress) for a few things, and he shut it down 5 years ago for
unnamed reasons
, but it did a good job (At the time) , until he started listing
people/companies he had personal disputes with.

Thanks
Craig
Talking for Myself

Steve

And lets not even start on Orcon and their spam hosting policies.

How soon we all forget Cash Evolution.

--
Steve.

Tony wrote:
> Oh that's bolloks Craig and you know it. As you know SORBS is not run to
> any credible standard of common sense. As mentioned on the NZNOG list
> recently I personally had a "new" /21 from APNIC that was SORBS listed
> before it was even in use. It took over a month to get it removed and
> only after virtually having to beg. Any ISP using SORBS for blocking
> mail is being extremely foolhardy. That Matthew Sullivan guy is a real
> up himself jerk.
>

> Craig Whitmore wrote:
>> Can you give some examples? If someone is on an RBL, there usually is
>> a VERY good reason they are on it.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Craig

Craig Whitmore

"Tony" <(E-Mail Removed) > wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Oh that's bolloks Craig and you know it. As you know SORBS is not run to
> any credible standard of common sense. As mentioned on the NZNOG list
> recently I personally had a "new" /21 from APNIC that was SORBS listed
> before it was even in use. It took over a month to get it removed and only
> after virtually having to beg. Any ISP using SORBS for blocking mail is
> being extremely foolhardy. That Matthew Sullivan guy is a real up himself
> jerk.

I wasn't saying SORBS was a good RBL (See my other post), I was trying to
say (and didn't make clear) that if it was listed on SORBS, there was a
VERY good reason _they_ thought they should add it on (sending once
to a spamtrap email address might be a very good reason they think that
they add you on), but in everyone else's opinion its quite bad.

Using SORBS (from testing), just gives too many false positives.

Thanks
Craig
Talking for Myself

Steve

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> I wasn't saying SORBS was a good RBL (See my other post), I was trying to
> say (and didn't make clear) that if it was listed on SORBS, there was a
> VERY good reason _they_ thought they should add it on (sending once
> to a spamtrap email address might be a very good reason they think that
> they add you on), but in everyone else's opinion its quite bad.

Let me help your memory.

Craig Whitmore wrote:
> Can you give some examples? If someone is on an RBL, there usually is
> a VERY good reason they are on it.

See, its great changing what you said AFTER the effect, but it doesn't
make it true.

It a pitty you are not quite so active about the spammers YOU host eh ?
I guess the thing that marks a spammer from a customer is that spammers
giving you money become customers not spammers.

--
Steve.

Rob J

In article <43ed5c97$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> >> >

> I've used quite a number of RBL's in the past, and I've found SORBS
> (dnsbl.sorbs.net ) a little TOO
> strict in what it has listed. I would never use it myself. it just blocks
> TOO much . (from personally testing)
>
> If you check the listing.. most of those IP addresses are listed as they
> sent to spamtrap
> email addresses, so they get listed. The other one (xtra) is listed as its
> in a dyanmic
> range that sorbs thinks so it should send directly (maybe this one is spam
> in the past)
>
> Saying SORBS is too strict.. the ones I suggest people use are:
>
> blackholes.mail-abuse.org
> sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org (This is quite a good one)

Probably, all the entries in our logs do look like spam addresses -
except that I can't tell whether the reason Hotmail servers addresses
don't appear is because Sorbs got them first.