Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > SORBS crap

SORBS crap

-=rjh=-

Steve wrote:
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>> Tony wrote:
>>> Oh that's bolloks Craig and you know it. As you know SORBS is not run
>>> to any credible standard of common sense. As mentioned on the NZNOG
>>> list recently I personally had a "new" /21 from APNIC that was SORBS
>>> listed before it was even in use. It took over a month to get it
>>> removed and only after virtually having to beg. Any ISP using SORBS
>>> for blocking mail is being extremely foolhardy. That Matthew Sullivan
>>> guy is a real up himself jerk.

>> Maybe, but what has that Paul Vixie ever done, huh?
>>
>> "The Internet is not for sissies." (Vixie, 1994)

> Well, i recall him requesting people send him feedback at an nznog on
> his presentation once and it became apparent that he was blocking most
> of the NZ IP space

's funny, Wikipedia makes no mention of that

I'm just a little surprised that somebody who has contributed so much to
OSS in the early days should find themself in this situation. I'd
always assumed these guys were smart.

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:57:30 +1300, Tony wrote:

>> NOW, create a bad customer database, so if you have a spammer in NZ ALL
>> ISPs can blacklist them.

> I think you would find NZ privacy laws would prevent this. It is done on
> an informal level and is best kept that way.

I think you'll find that the intent of the privacy law would prevent
"this" from being done even at an "informal" level.

The simple solution is as follows:

All new accounts have the clause in it that the client agrees in advance
that their name, address, and contact details will be added to a
publically available database of known spammers, maintained jointly by all
ISPs here in NZ if the client is found to be conducting a spamming
operation.

Done - no privacy issues there - the client agrees to have that
information published in those circumstances.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
A: because it messes up threading
Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

Craig Whitmore

"A Nice Cup of Tea" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:57:30 +1300, Tony wrote:
>
>>> NOW, create a bad customer database, so if you have a spammer in NZ ALL
>>> ISPs can blacklist them.

>> I think you would find NZ privacy laws would prevent this. It is done on
>> an informal level and is best kept that way.

> I think you'll find that the intent of the privacy law would prevent
> "this" from being done even at an "informal" level.

I am doing something similar on http://www.spam.c.onz
computersonline.co.nz/pricecutter/healthykiwi/nznotify etc

As I have large spamtraps.. any spam from NZers is quite easy to get.
Getting the Companies details is really easy (companies office/whois etc)
The only problem is people who put false details in their whois details
and getting those resolve I've found easy to get sorted out.

Thanks
Craig
Talking for Myself