Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Invitation to Pitch for Web Design

Invitation to Pitch for Web Design

Philip

I am looking for a design for web pages for my low power FM radio
stations in the Bay of Islands.

The stations at present are Primetime Radio 1ZZ, 88.1 in Ohaeawai &
Waimate North, and 107.7 in Kerikeri. A primitive logo is available, but
I am open to suggestions and designs for something better.

Programming policy is "the music of your life" - essentially eclectic
rock & pop from 1950 to today, with blues and jazz in the night, classic
serials & comedy (Dragnet, Goon Show, Superman, Dad & Dave etc) at 6 and
selections from our 15 000 music tracks dating back to 1889, and the
world's podcasts at weekends.

We are unlikely to play rap & hip-hop outside the FU Show, which airs at
0100 on Tuesdays and includes all the tracks we received in the week
that we don't like and consider to be a Frightful Uproar, but think
should be played at least once in fairness to the people that sent them in.

Target audience is people over 40.

I want pages that load fast, are easy to understand and navigate, and
that encourage the user to look at the content and listen to our programmes.

Home page should offer choices of:

Programme schedule (in a perfect world something we could upload as a
spreadsheet or PDF.
Who are we (the company, the story, the begging for money)
Contact (e-mail us, txt us, phone, fax, carrier pigeon, stone in a
Muscovite park with an MI5 WiFi in it)
Disclaimer (copyrights, links to APRA & RIANZ, privacy policy,
publisher, disclaimer is not datclaimer etc)
Primetime people (links to presenter biogs)
Train with us (links to pages about our journalist training programme)
Links (other LPFMs, the NZ LPFM society, indie music sources, rude games
about Lee Tamahori etc)
(all these linking to sub-pages)

On the home page itself, as well as the above links:

Latest news (as an mp3 download)
What's playing (this is a window provided by the playout software)
What's happening (news about station promotions, contests, development,
possibly linking to sub-pages
Featured albums/artists (we'll want to be able to update this each week)

Archive material for download
Streaming (not yet available but I want to be able to offer it when I can).

I get paid for what I do well, I'm ready to pay you for what web
designers do well. You keep your copyrights, you assign to my stations
the right to use and re-use your design. You get short name credit on
the home page ("Web design by Plugh & Xyzzy Ltd") linking to full credit
with your contact details on a sub-page.

Requirements.

Not browser specific - must work equally well on on all platforms.
Specifically IE, Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, whatever it is that Macs have.
No Flash.
No Active-X
Th home page shouldn't have to be scrolled to see all its content when
it#s displayed on a normal screen and normal resolution.

Disabled-friendly - people with bad vision should still be able to use
the pages with a standard reader

Know that my ideal of a clean effective Web page is Google. If I can
count the seconds it takes to load it's too slow.

I need to be able to update content without calling the designer.

All non-violent proposals gratefully received. I will make a contract
with the one I like best, assuming anyone responds. If no-one responds,
or if I don't like any of the responses, I'll cast the net wider:
Chatham Islands, Marquesas, Ireland, Germany, UK, US...

This is a non-profit outfit that pays its way - no rich pickings but
perhaps some fun.

Replies please to

I'm listening.

Philip

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 22:59:40 +1300, Philip wrote:

> This is a non-profit outfit that pays its way - no rich pickings but
> perhaps some fun.

Dude you *should* be web casting. A programme like what you've got should
be available nation-wide!

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him

Rob

"Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43ec666e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> No Flash.
> No Active-X
> Th home page shouldn't have to be scrolled to see all its content when
> it#s displayed on a normal screen and normal resolution.
>
> Disabled-friendly - people with bad vision should still be able to use the
> pages with a standard reader
>
> Know that my ideal of a clean effective Web page is Google. If I can count
> the seconds it takes to load it's too slow.
>
> I need to be able to update content without calling the designer.
>
> All non-violent proposals gratefully received. I will make a contract with
> the one I like best, assuming anyone responds. If no-one responds, or if I
> don't like any of the responses, I'll cast the net wider: Chatham Islands,
> Marquesas, Ireland, Germany, UK, US...
>
> This is a non-profit outfit that pays its way - no rich pickings but

Your invitation sounds a bit threatning, it sounds like you have had bad
experience in the past. I would recommend shift.co.nz, they do nice simple
designs, although some of their newer ones are flash which take a while to
download.

Nik Coughlin

Rob wrote:
> "Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43ec666e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am looking for a design for web pages for my low power FM radio
>> stations in the Bay of Islands.

> Your invitation sounds a bit threatning, it sounds like you have had
> bad experience in the past. I would recommend shift.co.nz, they do
> nice simple designs, although some of their newer ones are flash
> which take a while to download.

I would second that, shift is bloody good compared to most web shops in NZ.

Rob

"Nik Coughlin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43f3d95b$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rob wrote:
>> "Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:43ec666e$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I am looking for a design for web pages for my low power FM radio
>>> stations in the Bay of Islands.

>> Your invitation sounds a bit threatning, it sounds like you have had
>> bad experience in the past. I would recommend shift.co.nz, they do
>> nice simple designs, although some of their newer ones are flash
>> which take a while to download.

> I would second that, shift is bloody good compared to most web shops in
> NZ.

Obviously you would be paying a lot, but I guess you do get what you pay
for. They do a lot of government and corporate work, so whether they would
take on a smaller job, I don't know.

EMB

Philip wrote:
> I am looking for a design for web pages for my low power FM radio
> stations in the Bay of Islands.

Try asking the chap that runs http://www.redtoad.biz (contact details on
the site) - he might well do a contra for a bit of very low key advertising.

--
EMB