Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Connected with Actrix.

Connected with Actrix.

Peter Huebner

In article <1139606130.383657@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...

> Is Xtra losing money?
>
> E. Scrooge

Hardly. Where I come from, we have a proverb: 'the devil always shits on the
biggest pile'. With lots of assistance from the sheeple, obviously.

-P.

Tony

On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh

>> That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.

> Haha. Surprisingly, they're the first company in the world to be doing
> the things they're doing using that technology, so I presume they must
> be pretty savvy in the technological department to be first to market
> with their product.
> --
> Cheers,

nope, meybe they were the only ones silly enough to buy the product ?

E. Scrooge

"Peter Huebner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
> In article <1139606130.383657@ftpsrv1>, scrooge@*shot.co.nz says...
>>
>> Is Xtra losing money?
>>
>> E. Scrooge
>>

> Hardly. Where I come from, we have a proverb: 'the devil always shits on
> the
> biggest pile'. With lots of assistance from the sheeple, obviously.
>
> -P.

Woosh isn't in the same league and never was. WK seems to think that Woosh
is inovative and yet it's only available in a small part of the country.
ihug was also inovative (gamblers) with a small time TV service for those
that could see the Sky Tower. Why ihug's TV service didn't put TVNZ out of
business is anyone's guess .
ihug no longer offer a satellite service at all, the Aussie owners of ihug
couldn't dump it quick enough.

Slingshot seems to think it's a big player while trying to push Telecom
around like a mouse trying to push an elephant. Slingshot hasn't even got
the resources to provide a usenet newsgroup service without using ihug's
news server.
I never did hear back from Slingshot over my complaint about their Indian
speaking telemarketer, who was on a shocking line God knows where trying to
sell me Slingshot's Toll Call service. The real laugh was when the fool
then tried to sell me a damn Slingshot Internet plan.
Yesterday I had an Indian from Clear on the phone trying to sell their damn
Toll Call services. Then they asked what I pay for the Internet - $16 I
said - they then asked how many hours that was for. They gave up the
Internet sales pitch when I informed them the hours is unlimited on the flat
rate service.

They're all monkeys, except the ones at Telecom own all the bananas.

E. Scrooge

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Sat, 11 Feb 2006 16:38:27 +1300 when I remembered "E.
Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> saying something like this:

>Woosh isn't in the same league and never was. WK seems to think that Woosh
>is inovative and yet it's only available in a small part of the country.

Which is a pretty obvious thing to do from a business point of view.
That possible new cell phone company will only be starting from the
main centres so I read.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

Bruce Sinclair

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ok, so I'm now an Actrix customer, as of mid-day. Too soon to give a report
>of things yet but I have a question for Actrix users.
>
>What is the NNTP server like? I subscribed to my regular groups and for
>about 6 of them got the "group download in progress" message.
>
>Ten minutes later I hit "Synch all" again (OE) and got a whole bunch of
>posts. 'Looking good' I thought. However, for two groups in particular that
>I monitor usually twice a day or more, there are no posts since 02/02/06.
>Now, I know for a nfact that these groups have been getting upwards of 25
>posts a day since then. I've been re-downloading the groups on-and-off all
>afternoon but still no posts from the last 8 days or so. My posts show up
>instantly in the nz.xxx groups and replies are appearing to them so they're
>fine.
>
>Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's NNTP
>server please?

Tried it first time last week and was a bit grumpy with how slow it was to
show me the list of groups ... but then realised that there were many 10s of
thousands of them.
Seemed fairly quick to me. Using Pan.

Bruce

(if there were any)

~misfit~

Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Ok, so I'm now an Actrix customer, as of mid-day. Too soon to give a
>> report of things yet but I have a question for Actrix users.
>>
>> What is the NNTP server like? I subscribed to my regular groups and
>> for about 6 of them got the "group download in progress" message.
>>
>> Ten minutes later I hit "Synch all" again (OE) and got a whole bunch
>> of posts. 'Looking good' I thought. However, for two groups in
>> particular that I monitor usually twice a day or more, there are no
>> posts since 02/02/06. Now, I know for a nfact that these groups have
>> been getting upwards of 25 posts a day since then. I've been
>> re-downloading the groups on-and-off all afternoon but still no
>> posts from the last 8 days or so. My posts show up instantly in the
>> nz.xxx groups and replies are appearing to them so they're fine.
>>
>> Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's
>> NNTP server please?

> Tried it first time last week and was a bit grumpy with how slow it
> was to
> show me the list of groups ... but then realised that there were many
> 10s of thousands of them.
> Seemed fairly quick to me. Using Pan.

Thanks Bruce. Yeah, it's adequate for my needs. One thing though, Actrix's
web site has to be the slowest website to load of any of the sites I visit
regularly, including Toms hardware and several European sites. Annoying when
I'm trying to quickly check my usage and it takes a while to load.

BTW, I've been connected four and a half days now and not one PPP drop-out
compared with around 14 drop-outs in my last 4 1/2 days with Orcon. I don't
know how they can have the cheek to not only lie about the drop-outs but
have me running around chasing my own arse for no reason, checking my line
and modem etc.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~