Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Connected with Actrix.

Connected with Actrix.

~misfit~

Ok, so I'm now an Actrix customer, as of mid-day. Too soon to give a report
of things yet but I have a question for Actrix users.

What is the NNTP server like? I subscribed to my regular groups and for
about 6 of them got the "group download in progress" message.

Ten minutes later I hit "Synch all" again (OE) and got a whole bunch of
posts. 'Looking good' I thought. However, for two groups in particular that
I monitor usually twice a day or more, there are no posts since 02/02/06.
Now, I know for a nfact that these groups have been getting upwards of 25
posts a day since then. I've been re-downloading the groups on-and-off all
afternoon but still no posts from the last 8 days or so. My posts show up
instantly in the nz.xxx groups and replies are appearing to them so they're
fine.

Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's NNTP
server please?

Ciao,
--
~misfit~

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:44:30 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"

>Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's NNTP
>server please?

On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh the other day
who said that they didn't have a NNTP server. I guess the demand
doesn't warrant the effort.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

~misfit~

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> T'was the Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:44:30 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>> Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's
>> NNTP server please?

> On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh the other day
> who said that they didn't have a NNTP server. I guess the demand
> doesn't warrant the effort.

As mentioned many times in this NG, if the ISPs made more people aware of
news groups, they would have far more people using them. Everybody I know
who uses newsgroups does so because someone else has told them about it.
i.e. me.
--
~misfit~

Krazy Bob

news:43ec2279$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Waylon Kenning wrote:
>> T'was the Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:44:30 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>>
>>> Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's
>>> NNTP server please?

>> On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh the other day
>> who said that they didn't have a NNTP server. I guess the demand
>> doesn't warrant the effort.

> As mentioned many times in this NG, if the ISPs made more people aware of
> news groups, they would have far more people using them. Everybody I know
> who uses newsgroups does so because someone else has told them about it.
> i.e. me.
> --
> ~misfit~

very true...nothing on xtra about it
misfit was the one who introduced me on here

EMB

Waylon Kenning wrote:

> On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh

That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.

--
EMB

Krazy Bob

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dshb2f$7ns$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Waylon Kenning wrote:
>

>> On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh

> That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.

the same could be said about xtra

KB

Stephen Worthington

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 16:44:30 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok, so I'm now an Actrix customer, as of mid-day. Too soon to give a report
>of things yet but I have a question for Actrix users.
>
>What is the NNTP server like? I subscribed to my regular groups and for
>about 6 of them got the "group download in progress" message.
>
>Ten minutes later I hit "Synch all" again (OE) and got a whole bunch of
>posts. 'Looking good' I thought. However, for two groups in particular that
>I monitor usually twice a day or more, there are no posts since 02/02/06.
>Now, I know for a nfact that these groups have been getting upwards of 25
>posts a day since then. I've been re-downloading the groups on-and-off all
>afternoon but still no posts from the last 8 days or so. My posts show up
>instantly in the nz.xxx groups and replies are appearing to them so they're
>fine.
>
>Can anyone enlighten me as to their opinion / experience of Actrix's NNTP
>server please?
>
>Ciao,

Actrix use DNews (or possibly SurgeNews now) as their server software,
and it is set to download newsgroups only if someone is actually using
them. That is why you get the "Group download in progress" messages,
if you hit a group that is not locally cached. I do not know who they
peer with (it used to be an NZ site), but if their peer server(s) have
problems with a group, so will they. There used to be at least one
technician who was keen on NNTP and would do a good job fixing things
if anything went wrong, but most of the others did not know much about
it and you had to wait for him to be available, so if he was on
holiday there was a delay. It is always worthwhile calling their
helpdesk to ask about problems, and at least get a message passed on
to the right person.

I run an ancient copy of DNews on one of my PCs. It is good software,
but has *lots* of options.

DNews/SurgeNews (NZ company):
http://netwinsite.com

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:15:58 +1300 when I remembered EMB

> On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh
>
>That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.

Haha. Surprisingly, they're the first company in the world to be doing
the things they're doing using that technology, so I presume they must
be pretty savvy in the technological department to be first to market
with their product.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

E. Scrooge

"Waylon Kenning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> T'was the Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:15:58 +1300 when I remembered EMB
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>> On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh
>>
>>That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.

> Haha. Surprisingly, they're the first company in the world to be doing
> the things they're doing using that technology, so I presume they must
> be pretty savvy in the technological department to be first to market
> with their product.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.

They were losing money not that long ago and cut back on either their
projected plans or their services.

E. Scrooge

E. Scrooge

"Krazy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ViWGf.139671$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dshb2f$7ns$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Waylon Kenning wrote:
>>

>>> On a side note, I talked to the technical guy at Woosh

>> That's an oxymoron - I've yet to find anyone technically savvy at Woosh.
>>

> the same could be said about xtra
>
> KB

Is Xtra losing money?

E. Scrooge