Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > beware IE 7 betas

beware IE 7 betas

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:15:11 +1300, Nova wrote:

> Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a
> beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
> bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
> entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..
>
> Changing the OS just can't be done, too much software that I _need_ and
> _like_ to run requires windows..
>
> But yes at times like this i wish there was more support on other OS's

To what extent have you received support... for your Windows box in order
to reverse the botched installation of Micro$oft's Web Browser?

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:15:11 +1300, Nova wrote:

> Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a
> beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
> bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
> entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..

Surely no User software should trash an OS so badly that the OS needs to
be completely reinstalled.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him
what decade he plans to release it."

Nicholas Sherlock

A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:15:11 +1300, Nova wrote:
>
>> Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a
>> beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
>> bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
>> entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..

> Surely no User software should trash an OS so badly that the OS needs to
> be completely reinstalled.

It's not really "user software", IE is a large part of the operating system.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

David

Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:42:36 +1300, Nova wrote:
>
>> I cannot run IE, it won't let me uninstall it as it gives me some error
>> telling me to uninstall as the user who installed it (which of course I
>> am) tried as administrator too but no joy. I cannot reinstall it as it
>> says it is already there, I cannot install an older version as it says
>> there is a newer version already there, windows update of course doesn't
>> work, along with outlook etc etc..
>>
>> Ok so i try system restore.. no, now that errors out too...

> Now it's really unusual that all this should happen after installing a
> Micro$oft browser.
>
> I mean... Micro$oft's software is such good software... nothing usually
> goes wrong as a result of using Micro$oft software.
>
> Yeah right!!
>
> When you put a new OS on that computer, how about trying something better
> than Micro$oft Windows?
>

> Heisse Kapiti Trinken

There's nothing better than the best.

E. Scrooge

"Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43eaa808$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:
>> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:42:36 +1300, Nova wrote:
>>
>>> I cannot run IE, it won't let me uninstall it as it gives me some error
>>> telling me to uninstall as the user who installed it (which of course I
>>> am) tried as administrator too but no joy. I cannot reinstall it as it
>>> says it is already there, I cannot install an older version as it says
>>> there is a newer version already there, windows update of course doesn't
>>> work, along with outlook etc etc..
>>>
>>> Ok so i try system restore.. no, now that errors out too...

>> Now it's really unusual that all this should happen after installing a
>> Micro$oft browser.
>>
>> I mean... Micro$oft's software is such good software... nothing usually
>> goes wrong as a result of using Micro$oft software.
>>
>> Yeah right!!
>>
>> When you put a new OS on that computer, how about trying something better
>> than Micro$oft Windows?
>>

>> Heisse Kapiti Trinken
>>

> Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a beta
> and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically bring
> down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall entirely,
> even the repair didn't work in the end..
>
> Changing the OS just can't be done, too much software that I _need_ and
> _like_ to run requires windows..
>
> But yes at times like this i wish there was more support on other OS's

Where did it ever say that it was the final version?
You chose to install and TEST it out all at your own risk.

Have you tried getting rid of it in safe mode?

E. Scrooge

Nathan Mercer

A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:15:11 +1300, Nova wrote:
>
> > Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a
> > beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
> > bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
> > entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..

> Surely no User software should trash an OS so badly that the OS needs to
> be completely reinstalled.

How so? He had to be an administrator (root in your language) to
install the software

You or the software can do anything you/it likes (including trashing
the OS) as an administrative privelege level.

Cheers
Nathan

Nathan Mercer

Nova wrote:
> Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a

That's why they are betas. And to put it in context, it sounds like it
was IE7 beta 1 that was originally installed. That was officially
released through MSDN and the technical beta program. Both of those
programs have ways of raising technical support calls to deal with
issues like this if neccessary.

Those official sites warned about the test nature of the early IE7
builds. Heck the current public build is not even beta2 yet, its a
beta2 preview.

> beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
> bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
> entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..

IE7b2 uninstall calls
%windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.e xe IE7b1 uses a
similarly named directory, you could try uninstalling from there, maybe
in safe mode.

Cheers
Nathan

Nova

E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Nova" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43eaa808$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Heisse Kapiti Trinken wrote:

>>> Now it's really unusual that all this should happen after installing a
>>> Micro$oft browser.
>>>
>>> I mean... Micro$oft's software is such good software... nothing usually
>>> goes wrong as a result of using Micro$oft software.
>>>
>>> Yeah right!!
>>>
>>> When you put a new OS on that computer, how about trying something better
>>> than Micro$oft Windows?
>>>

>>> Heisse Kapiti Trinken
>>>

>> Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a beta
>> and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically bring
>> down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall entirely,
>> even the repair didn't work in the end..
>>
>> Changing the OS just can't be done, too much software that I _need_ and
>> _like_ to run requires windows..
>>
>> But yes at times like this i wish there was more support on other OS's

> Where did it ever say that it was the final version?
> You chose to install and TEST it out all at your own risk.

Correct, i already pointed that out myself, and my original message was
just to warn people that it can hose the OS.
i don't recall ever mentioning that this was the final version? but if I
did that was certainly a typo, i was well aware it was a beta, and in
another message wrote that it was on a machine that could afford to be lost.

> Have you tried getting rid of it in safe mode?

Yes, I tried all the usual tricks and ran through the lists in forums
where other people had similar problems.
I have used beta software a lot, I wasn't expecting quite so much drama
but anyway was more just letting people know what can happen with the
current preview.

> E. Scrooge

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 16:34:20 +1300, David wrote:

>> When you put a new OS on that computer, how about trying something better
>> than Micro$oft Windows?

> There's nothing better than the best.

Agreed.

And as Micro$oft Windows is inferior on so many levels, that really shows
how effective Micro$oft's marketing, propaganda, and lobbying machines are.

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Buffer overflow attacks. By flooding a program with too much data, a hacker
can track and manipulate the overflow and trick the system into following his

A Nice Cup of Tea

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:40:28 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

> A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:15:11 +1300, Nova wrote:
>>
>> > Heh, I think this is a pretty big screwup for a beta, I knew it was a
>> > beta and so expected there to be bugs, I didn't expect it to basically
>> > bring down major parts of the OS and result in having to reinstall
>> > entirely, even the repair didn't work in the end..

>> Surely no User software should trash an OS so badly that the OS needs to
>> be completely reinstalled.

> How so? He had to be an administrator (root in your language) to
> install the software
>
> You or the software can do anything you/it likes (including trashing
> the OS) as an administrative privelege level.

That sill doesn't explain why attempting to install a web browser should
trash the OS.

It's not like you're overwriting the kernel or anything as daft as that
now, eh!

A Nice Cup of Tea

--
Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him
what decade he plans to release it."

Betas of Microsoft Certification Exams 70-547, 70-548, and 70-549 =?Utf-8?B?U29uZHJhIFdlYmJlciwgTWljcm9zb2Z0IENvcnBvcmF0aW9u?= MCSD 8 04-04-2008 02:23 PM
OT:The Betas James MCSE 20 06-05-2006 11:19 PM
desktop search betas DJ Code Computer Support 1 05-06-2005 02:57 PM
Microsoft Are Changing Exam Test Methods - Have you seen the new betas ? Marlin Munrow MCSE 17 06-25-2004 08:48 PM
what betas are there currently triple-x Microsoft Certification 4 11-18-2003 12:00 AM

Advertisments