Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > It's official: Ihug rules.

It's official: Ihug rules.

Kiwi

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 08:42:41 +1300, EMB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Scrooge - you've had issues with ihug in the past and made your decision
>to take your custom elsewhere. How about you pull your head out of your
>arse for maybe 2 seconds and realise that things may have improved with
>ihug, rather than continue to knock them ad nauseum. The service I get
>from ihug isn't perfect, but it's a damn sight better than people's
>experiences of other ISPs as reported in this group.

Well said EMB,

I have been with Ihug since January 19996 and will be the first to
admit that they have had problems at times. My Ultar and intial 256k
UBS performed well, but I am very impressedy 2mbps offering for the
last 3 months.

Can d/l binaries from Supernews at 1.5+mbps any time.

Cheers, Kiwi

Heisse Kapiti Trinken

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 09:35:34 +1300, Mark Robinson wrote:

> Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy
> service as they were offering years ago ... constant connection
> dropouts, lousy speeds.

Probably the same original collection of modems at Ihug's end. ;o)

Heisse Kapiti Trinken

--
Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him

mark.lindquist@gmail.com

Join the curent Millenia and get broadband!

mark.lindquist@gmail.com

New Zealand is the only western country with archaic 'usage caps' and
at such 1990's levels - 10 gigs! It's not the users - it's the lack of
competition. So much for fixing the 1980's with capitalism.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net says...
> Fred Dagg wrote:
> > Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
> >
> > Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
> > entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.
> >
> > Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
> > moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
> > actually delivering what they have promised.
> >
> > This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
> > performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
> > itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
> > shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
> > unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
> > were totally unable to deliver.
> >
> > So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
> > have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
> > importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.
> >
> > This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
> > now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
> > all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.

> Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy service as
> they were offering years ago ... constant connection dropouts, lousy speeds.

Or in other centres.

Mark Robinson

> Join the curent Millenia and get broadband!

Have done for years, sodding stuff aint portable but.

There go those pesky assumptions tripping you up again.

~misfit~

wogers nemesis wrote:
> Aye, sounds very familiar. I was getting max speed downloading a
> Knoppix ISO the other day on bitorrent. This was around 6 p.m.
>
> The bonus is that uploads don't count towards the cap.
> It is a pretty damn good ISP... poor Orcon appear to have gone to the
> dogs.

Arghhhh! I didn't realise that! Could have made all the difference as I was
tossing up between Ihug and Actrix. Signed with Actrix last week. Oh well,
can always reconsider afer a while, depending on performance and plan
suitability. It seems that (perhaps wishful thinking) there may be changes
in the wind with Telecom's wholesale UBS soon anyway.
--
~misfit~

Kristofer Clayton

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:26:53 +1300, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.

I'm only on 256/128 with ihug (i have two connections, two different
locations) - and you're quite correct - p2p transmissions frequently
running at full rate.

I spent most of last year at a different location, orcon 256/128 (same
city, same phone exchange as one of the ihug ones), but the difference
is this one was on orcon - and the performance was abysmal. with p2p
running the connection was utterly lousy.. made dial-up look good.

Before anyone blames equipment, most of the equipment used at that
site was then moved to the location I'm currently at, with ihug.

Orcon's port 80 (web) traffic would peak at 32 kB/s like ihug's
though, which lead me to believe something tricky was going on behind
the scenes at orcon.

--
Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
Gisborne, New Zealand

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:39:24 +1300, wogers nemesis <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>The bonus is that uploads don't count towards the cap.

REALLY?

Holy crap, you're right! That's brilliant!

Very interesting indeed, considering I like to upload 24/7. As I cap
uploads at 10kB/s (about 80kbps), that means an additional 25GB or so
free each month. Stunning.

From http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/broad...dex.html#quota

Data allowances

Your data allowance is the amount of data you can download during the
month. Your peak data allowance is counted from 8am to midnight and
your off peak allowance is counted from midnight to 8am. Our plans
have a range of data allowances so you can choose the one that suits
you best.

And we don't count uploads in your data allowance - they're free! If
you do reach either of your data allowances you just surf at 64kbps
during that time period for the rest of the month - so you don't need
to worry about excess fees.

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 04:55:59 +0000 (UTC), Steven H
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>> Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
>> entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.

>you Ass!!!!!!
>
>now be prepared to experience a slowdown because all the leechers will soon
>join and start sucking down

Eeeek...!

Right, um, ok everyone. Jokes over. I was just kidding. They're no
good. Move along, now. Nothing to see here....