Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > It's official: Ihug rules.

It's official: Ihug rules.

XPD

"Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
> Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy
> service as they were offering years ago ... constant connection dropouts,
> lousy speeds.

Youll probably find thats more down to dodgy and lousy Telecom lines

shannon

XPD wrote:
> "Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
>> Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy
>> service as they were offering years ago ... constant connection dropouts,
>> lousy speeds.

> Youll probably find thats more down to dodgy and lousy Telecom lines

Would those be the same lines that give ihug great adsl ?

Mark Robinson

XPD wrote:
> "Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
>
>>Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy
>>service as they were offering years ago ... constant connection dropouts,
>>lousy speeds.

> Youll probably find thats more down to dodgy and lousy Telecom lines

Not so. Any of several other ISPs I used on the same line had no such problem.

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 08:55:22 +1300, Nihil <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:26:53 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:
>
>> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
>>
>> Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
>> entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.
>>
>> Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
>> moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
>> actually delivering what they have promised.
>>
>> This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
>> performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
>> itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
>> shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
>> unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
>> were totally unable to deliver.
>>
>> So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
>> have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
>> importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.
>>
>> This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
>> now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
>> all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.

>Is this some kind of a joke? How can you recommend an ISP after a week,
>especially Ihug?

Ok, sure, it's only been a few weeks, but it is a real breath of fresh
air after Orcon.

I think it's long enough to guage whether, generally, their traffic is
limited and shaped. It's obviously not.

It took about 1 day to ascertain that Orcon's speed was crap. That was
bourne out over the following weeks and months.

Torrential

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 03:50:17 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

I go with misfit

Orcon P2P suck big time period!

Orcon must have issue with older UBS contract users i.e 256/128
true flat rate?

the layer 7 packet cannot distingusih among 10Gig autosense ($10/10 gig)
and the older flatrate users?

Why then Orcon punish those who pay for 10 Gig ( autosense UBS ) users!

stupid Orcon !

>E. Scrooge wrote:
>> "Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.

>> Great what a week will do. Telecom open up the restrictions to a few
>> ISPs and you're happy.

>What are you on Scrooge? It's not Telecom who's throttling Orcon P2P, it's
>Orcon themselves with their level 7 packet sniffer. Ihug don't throttle P2P
>(as yet, fingers crossed). That's the difference.
>
>> See what it's like overall after you've been on it for at least 6
>> months. Now yopu will also promise to stay with ihug for the next 10
>> years, especially after trying to get others to join all based on
>> your one week of experience with ihug?

>Ya lost me.

Deck

I wanted to sign-up for their DSL last December
but they've stopped offering the free connection/modem.
I took Orcon, and then a month after iHug is offering the
free connection/modem again. i was really annoyed by that !

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
>
> Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
> entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.
>
> Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
> moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
> actually delivering what they have promised.
>
> This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
> performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
> itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
> shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
> unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
> were totally unable to deliver.
>
> So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
> have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
> importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.
>
> This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
> now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
> all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.

Richard

Mark Robinson wrote:

> Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy
> service as they were offering years ago ... constant connection
> dropouts, lousy speeds.

My ihug dialup stays connected for day-weeks at a time when its being used, so I
dont have any problem with it, and its not an awesome phoneline here, and its
with the much disliked LT winmodem.

Its not ihugs dialups problem.

XPD

news:43e937bf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark Robinson wrote:
>
>> Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy
>> service as they were offering years ago ... constant connection dropouts,
>> lousy speeds.

> My ihug dialup stays connected for day-weeks at a time when its being
> used, so I dont have any problem with it, and its not an awesome phoneline
> here, and its with the much disliked LT winmodem.
>
> Its not ihugs dialups problem.

But where are you located ?
Its possible Mark is hitting a dodgy bank of modems

wogers nemesis

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:26:53 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
>
> Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
> entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.
>
> Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
> moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
> actually delivering what they have promised.
>
> This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
> performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
> itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
> shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
> unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
> were totally unable to deliver.
>
> So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
> have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
> importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.
>
> This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
> now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
> all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.

Aye, sounds very familiar. I was getting max speed downloading a Knoppix
ISO the other day on bitorrent. This was around 6 p.m.

The bonus is that uploads don't count towards the cap.
It is a pretty damn good ISP... poor Orcon appear to have gone to the dogs.

Steven H

Hello Fred,

> Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
> entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.

you Ass!!!!!!

now be prepared to experience a slowdown because all the leechers will soon
join and start sucking down

Steven H

the madGeek