Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > It's official: Ihug rules.

Reply
Thread Tools

It's official: Ihug rules.

 
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006
Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.

Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.

Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
actually delivering what they have promised.

This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
were totally unable to deliver.

So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.

This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
E. Scrooge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.


Great what a week will do. Telecom open up the restrictions to a few ISPs
and you're happy.
See what it's like overall after you've been on it for at least 6 months.
Now yopu will also promise to stay with ihug for the next 10 years,
especially after trying to get others to join all based on your one week of
experience with ihug?

E. Scrooge


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006
On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 01:46:38 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
(*sling)> exclaimed:

>
>"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.

>
>Great what a week will do. Telecom open up the restrictions to a few ISPs
>and you're happy.
>See what it's like overall after you've been on it for at least 6 months.
>Now yopu will also promise to stay with ihug for the next 10 years,
>especially after trying to get others to join all based on your one week of
>experience with ihug?


Huh?
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006
E. Scrooge wrote:
> "Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.

>
> Great what a week will do. Telecom open up the restrictions to a few
> ISPs and you're happy.


What are you on Scrooge? It's not Telecom who's throttling Orcon P2P, it's
Orcon themselves with their level 7 packet sniffer. Ihug don't throttle P2P
(as yet, fingers crossed). That's the difference.

> See what it's like overall after you've been on it for at least 6
> months. Now yopu will also promise to stay with ihug for the next 10
> years, especially after trying to get others to join all based on
> your one week of experience with ihug?


Ya lost me.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006
E. Scrooge wrote:

> Great what a week will do. Telecom open up the restrictions to a few ISPs
> and you're happy.
> See what it's like overall after you've been on it for at least 6 months.
> Now yopu will also promise to stay with ihug for the next 10 years,
> especially after trying to get others to join all based on your one week of
> experience with ihug?


Scrooge - you've had issues with ihug in the past and made your decision
to take your custom elsewhere. How about you pull your head out of your
arse for maybe 2 seconds and realise that things may have improved with
ihug, rather than continue to knock them ad nauseum. The service I get
from ihug isn't perfect, but it's a damn sight better than people's
experiences of other ISPs as reported in this group.


--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Nihil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006
On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 01:26:53 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
>
> Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
> entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.
>
> Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
> moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
> actually delivering what they have promised.
>
> This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
> performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
> itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
> shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
> unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
> were totally unable to deliver.
>
> So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
> have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
> importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.
>
> This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
> now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
> all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.


Is this some kind of a joke? How can you recommend an ISP after a week,
especially Ihug?

-Nihil
 
Reply With Quote
 
Southern Kiwi
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
> snip<


Get back to us once the honeymoons over as well please, say in 6(?) months
time.
I would be more inclined to take your recommendation seriously then.


--
-- Cheers
Southern Kiwi
southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com
Word of wisdom from high in the mountains....you know...like a Guru...but
not as old....or mystic......or wise....or high...


 
Reply With Quote
 
XPD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006

"Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:43e8fdfe$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
>> snip<

>
> Get back to us once the honeymoons over as well please, say in 6(?) months
> time.
> I would be more inclined to take your recommendation seriously then.


Yup I have to agree.... this is the ISP that said they were not speed
limiting their Satnet/Ultra connections when they were...... wait a few
months and you'll probably find your performance slowly drops off.
Once an ISP appears in the market that absolutely guarantees no
shaping/limting of services/protocols 24/7/365 then Ill eat whatever hat Im
wearing on the day


 
Reply With Quote
 
E. Scrooge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006

"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2006 01:46:38 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
> (*sling)> exclaimed:
>
>>
>>"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.

>>
>>Great what a week will do. Telecom open up the restrictions to a few ISPs
>>and you're happy.
>>See what it's like overall after you've been on it for at least 6 months.
>>Now yopu will also promise to stay with ihug for the next 10 years,
>>especially after trying to get others to join all based on your one week
>>of
>>experience with ihug?

>
> Huh?


Only a week is hardly any time at all to evaluate something thast you'll no
doubt use for years.
When trying another ISP I was still with ihug for over a year just in case
the new ISP didn't work out. With Telecom supplying Broadband not all ISPs
will be getting the service as good as others are. The deals at ihug seem
to be competitive enough and better than what some are offering.
ihug has been doing some heavy TV advertising for Broadband lately which
makes a change to see it pushing an internet service instead of a phone
service.

E. Scrooge


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark Robinson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006
Fred Dagg wrote:
> Ok, been with Ihug for over a week now, and quite frankly, they rule.
>
> Generally download torrents at 2Mbps, sometimes dropping to an
> entirely acceptable 1.5Mbps.
>
> Honestly, Ihug have restored the faith I lost in ISPs and UBS after
> moving to Orcon 2Mbps for a couple of months last year. They are
> actually delivering what they have promised.
>
> This, unfortunately, does not bode well for Orcon. I thought that the
> performance issues experienced with them may have been due to UBS
> itself, however it would appear that they were either severely traffic
> shaping, overcommitted, or both. Either way, it was totally
> unacceptable and unethical for them to promise a product which they
> were totally unable to deliver.
>
> So, anyway, for any other P2Pers out there on Orcon 2Mbps, it doesn't
> have to be that way! Ihug's plans a reasonably generous, but more
> importantly, they appear to be actually delivering on their promises.
>
> This also equates to probably 5-10 new customers a week to Ihug, as we
> now recommend them to our clients. Not a massive amount, sure, but it
> all mounts up, especially if you include the people they tell.


Try their dialup service in metropolitan Auckland ... same old dodgy service as
they were offering years ago ... constant connection dropouts, lousy speeds.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: The name IHUG is now long gone - hardly surprising that Vodafone has dropped the ihug internet name. Dave Doe NZ Computing 5 04-11-2008 06:46 PM
Re: The name IHUG is now long gone - hardly surprising that Vodafone has dropped the ihug internet name. Katipo NZ Computing 2 04-10-2008 09:52 PM
ihug website wont go for some ihug customers...... iascoot NZ Computing 5 08-11-2006 09:53 AM
Re: LindowsOS skymedia (ihug Ultra) install cowboyz NZ Computing 9 07-13-2003 02:18 PM
Re: LindowsOS skymedia (ihug Ultra) install Craig Whitmore NZ Computing 1 07-12-2003 07:37 PM



Advertisments