Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > 3 or 4 hour delay recieving text messages on Vodaphone

3 or 4 hour delay recieving text messages on Vodaphone

Wombus

My wife sends me two or three text messages from her Vodaphone prepay to
my Vodaphone Prepay, and i don't receive the messages until 3 or 4 hours
later... (they all arrive together). This has happened on a number of
occasions intermittently
It is darn annoying and makes this medium not worth using.
Could the problem be with my phone which is a Sony Ericson J200??... or
is it possible Vodaphoe are the culprit.
Anyone else experience this annoyance?

Krazy Bob

"Wombus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ds9l6o$11c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife sends me two or three text messages from her Vodaphone prepay to
> my Vodaphone Prepay, and i don't receive the messages until 3 or 4 hours
> later... (they all arrive together). This has happened on a number of
> occasions intermittently
> It is darn annoying and makes this medium not worth using.
> Could the problem be with my phone which is a Sony Ericson J200??... or is
> it possible Vodaphoe are the culprit.
> Anyone else experience this annoyance?

getting the same at the moment with telecom to telecom, maybe call 777 and
ask the friendly help desk whats up?

XPD

"Wombus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ds9l6o$11c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife sends me two or three text messages from her Vodaphone prepay to
> my Vodaphone Prepay, and i don't receive the messages until 3 or 4 hours
> later... (they all arrive together). This has happened on a number of
> occasions intermittently
> It is darn annoying and makes this medium not worth using.
> Could the problem be with my phone which is a Sony Ericson J200??... or is
> it possible Vodaphoe are the culprit.
> Anyone else experience this annoyance?

Been having similar issues here as well between work vodafone phones....
even getting messages saying Ive missed calls when my phone hasnt even rung
and Im in a full coverage area. Really annoying, especially when Im
expecting calls from suppliers/clients.

Peter

Wombus wrote:
> My wife sends me two or three text messages from her Vodaphone prepay to
> my Vodaphone Prepay, and i don't receive the messages until 3 or 4 hours
> later... (they all arrive together). This has happened on a number of
> occasions intermittently
> It is darn annoying and makes this medium not worth using.
> Could the problem be with my phone which is a Sony Ericson J200??... or
> is it possible Vodaphoe are the culprit.
> Anyone else experience this annoyance?

Yes, sending from one Vodafone to another. Sometimes goes through
instantly, but can be delayed by a couple of hours. Both phones in good
reception areas, and sending phone says message sent straight away.

Peter

Peter

XPD wrote:

> Been having similar issues here as well between work vodafone phones....
> even getting messages saying Ive missed calls when my phone hasnt even
> rung and Im in a full coverage area. Really annoying, especially when Im
> expecting calls from suppliers/clients.

Had same problem with ye olde 025 analog some time back. If there is
congestion on the local cell site, it probably flicks the call to voice
mail. This is why it is probably supplied as a standard service.

Enkidu

Wombus wrote:

> My wife sends me two or three text messages from her Vodaphone prepay
> to my Vodaphone Prepay, and i don't receive the messages until 3 or 4
> hours later... (they all arrive together). This has happened on a
> number of occasions intermittently

You do realise how the system works, don't you? When you send a message
it is translated into a series of bleeps. These go to Vodafone where
they are recorded on tape, one input tape per phone. Someone goes around
and listens to the tapes and then if something has been recorded on it,
they listen to the sounds and then go to the output tape for the
recipient's phone and play a flute into the tape. Then the operator
presses play on the tape and the message is sent to the recipients phone.

This explains why there is sometimes a delay (when the operator forgets
to read a tape). And it explains why there are spelling mistakes - not
all are made by the sender.

Cheers,

Cliff

Heisse Kapiti Trinken

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:14:24 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> Wombus wrote:
>>
>> My wife sends me two or three text messages from her Vodaphone prepay
>> to my Vodaphone Prepay, and i don't receive the messages until 3 or 4
>> hours later... (they all arrive together). This has happened on a
>> number of occasions intermittently
>>

> You do realise how the system works, don't you? When you send a message
> it is translated into a series of bleeps. These go to Vodafone where
> they are recorded on tape, one input tape per phone. Someone goes around
> and listens to the tapes and then if something has been recorded on it,
> they listen to the sounds and then go to the output tape for the
> recipient's phone and play a flute into the tape. Then the operator
> presses play on the tape and the message is sent to the recipients phone.
>
> This explains why there is sometimes a delay (when the operator forgets
> to read a tape). And it explains why there are spelling mistakes - not
> all are made by the sender.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

LOL! Nice!

BTW, Cliff, Have you seen the first two episodes of the new Channel 4 (UK)
comedy "The IT Crowd"?

It's *very* funny.

(Unfortunately the episodes are being encoded into WMF using version 9
codec, and so they don't play on non M$ platforms.) I'll be sending an
email off to them pointing that out, and *hopefully* they'll change the
format to something *nix friendly.

Heisse Kapiti Trinken

--
Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him