Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Partition resizing

Reply
Thread Tools

Partition resizing

 
 
Ian Boag
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2006
I just bought a DSE Acer cheapie laptop. No problems - it'll do the
job BUT it came with the 40 GB drive partitioned in half. The D
partition held Acer setup software which was deleted after first use.

I don't want two partitions, so I need to resize C. I know that
Partition Magic and a few other commercial progs will do this but I
don't want to buy the prog just to use it once - if there's any other
way.

Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
XP?

Cheers IB
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Huebner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>
> Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
> XP?
>
> Cheers IB


Windows XP's disk management tool.

-> control panel
-> administrative tools
-> computer management
->[+] storage
-> disk management

really easy to find <wink>

-Peter


--
=========================================
firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Krazy Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2006

"Ian Boag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just bought a DSE Acer cheapie laptop. No problems - it'll do the
> job BUT it came with the 40 GB drive partitioned in half. The D
> partition held Acer setup software which was deleted after first use.
>
> I don't want two partitions, so I need to resize C. I know that
> Partition Magic and a few other commercial progs will do this but I
> don't want to buy the prog just to use it once - if there's any other
> way.
>
> Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
> XP?
>
> Cheers IB


*cough* download off a torrent website *cough*


KB


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006
Peter Huebner wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>>
>> Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
>> XP?
>>
>> Cheers IB

>
> Windows XP's disk management tool.
>
> -> control panel
> -> administrative tools
> -> computer management
> ->[+] storage
> -> disk management
>
> really easy to find <wink>


Even easier, right-click My Computer and select 'manage' and go from there.
Cuts out a few clicks.

However, I don't think you can re-size partitions there without destroying
them and losing data can you? I don't see the option. Maybe there's an MS
download / powertoy I don't have?
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Ray Greene
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006
On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 19:19:50 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (Ian Boag) wrote:

>I just bought a DSE Acer cheapie laptop. No problems - it'll do the
>job BUT it came with the 40 GB drive partitioned in half. The D
>partition held Acer setup software which was deleted after first use.
>
>I don't want two partitions, so I need to resize C. I know that
>Partition Magic and a few other commercial progs will do this but I
>don't want to buy the prog just to use it once - if there's any other
>way.
>
>Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
>XP?


The trial version of BootIt NG from www.bootitng.com will do that.

When you run it, remember to bypass the 'install on your hard drive' option.
That's for the boot manager feature which you don't need.

--
Ray Greene
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006

>>> Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
>>> XP?
>>>
>>> Cheers IB

>>
>> Windows XP's disk management tool.
>>
>> -> control panel
>> -> administrative tools
>> -> computer management
>> ->[+] storage
>> -> disk management
>>
>> really easy to find <wink>

>
>Even easier, right-click My Computer and select 'manage' and go from there.
>Cuts out a few clicks.
>
>However, I don't think you can re-size partitions there without destroying
>them and losing data can you? I don't see the option. Maybe there's an MS
>download / powertoy I don't have?


You can't resize partitions in XP without using a special programme
(so the above won't work) - Partition Magic works great - although I
have a feeling there's something in Knoppix (a free cd-bootable linux
distro) that will do it for free.

Cheers,

Mark
 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006
(E-Mail Removed) (Ian Boag) wrote in news:43e7a0a6.65824189
@news.inspire.net.nz:

> Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
> XP?


QTParted
That is included in Knoppix and many other distros like Insert...
http://distrowatch.com/search.php?pk...ver=#pkgsearch

--
Ciao, Dave
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rob J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
(E-Mail Removed)ess says...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> > Can anyone point me at a free partition resizer that will work with
> > XP?
> >
> > Cheers IB

>
> Windows XP's disk management tool.
>
> -> control panel
> -> administrative tools
> -> computer management
> ->[+] storage
> -> disk management
>
> really easy to find <wink>


Can it make a new partition on an existing volume i.e. make the existing
one smaller to make room for a new one?
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-07-2006
Dave Taylor wrote:

> QTParted
> That is included in Knoppix and many other distros like Insert...
> http://distrowatch.com/search.php?pk...ver=#pkgsearch


http://www.sysresccd.org/ for a damned useful rescue CD including the
above (and IME works reliably on NTFS partition resizing).



--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mark
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-08-2006

>Can it make a new partition on an existing volume i.e. make the existing
>one smaller to make room for a new one?


If you have free space on the end of the disk - yes you can make a new
partition.

Though, you can't resize (ie make a partition smaller, or larger) with
xp's tho.

Cheers,

Mark
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dd - unequal speed from partition to partition, partition to file,file to partition bolega C Programming 1 03-28-2011 07:37 PM
Resizing a div by resizing its borders Pil (Trustworthy from Experience) Javascript 9 04-21-2009 07:35 AM
Resizing a div by resizing its borders Proper Javascript 0 04-18-2009 08:02 PM
Resizing Partition w/Partition Magic 8 Luke O'Malley Computer Support 2 05-07-2008 07:56 PM
Partition disapeared while resizing using partition magic 8 Reem Hardware 0 07-19-2007 11:42 PM



Advertisments