Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > dvd writer becoming cd rom drive

dvd writer becoming cd rom drive

Andrew

I remember recently reading about this but i cant find the thread

My drive is doing the same - windows thinks its a cd rom drive

However i have not updated nero recently nor have i put on any windows
updates.. I think i remember reading that it was a windows update that
broke it?

Was that the reason?

Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...

Krazy Bob

news:59zEf.125901$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I remember recently reading about this but i cant find the thread
>
> My drive is doing the same - windows thinks its a cd rom drive
>
> However i have not updated nero recently nor have i put on any windows
> updates.. I think i remember reading that it was a windows update that
> broke it?
>
> Was that the reason?
>
> Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...

Yea both me & misfit had the same problem.
i tried a registry key hack, and worked on mine and not on his.

maybe ping misfit and wait for a reply

KB

-=rjh=-

Andrew wrote:
> I remember recently reading about this but i cant find the thread
>
> My drive is doing the same - windows thinks its a cd rom drive
>
> However i have not updated nero recently nor have i put on any windows
> updates.. I think i remember reading that it was a windows update that
> broke it?
>
> Was that the reason?
>
> Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...

I was asked to look at a similar problem (but on a laptop) last weekend
- a CDRW drive no longer being seen by Nero, etc, the drive having
become a DVDROM drive.

Should have seen the look on the owner's face when I explained that his
drive had been swapped last time the laptop had been sent in for repair

The repair shop owned up, and - good on them - found a CDRW drive and
let him keep the DVDROM drive, too.

~misfit~

Andrew wrote:
> I remember recently reading about this but i cant find the thread

I can't remember what it was called.

> My drive is doing the same - windows thinks its a cd rom drive

Ain't Windows grand?

> However i have not updated nero recently nor have i put on any windows
> updates.. I think i remember reading that it was a windows update that
> broke it?

I think so. That was the only thing that had changed from one day to the
next

> Was that the reason?

Your guess is as good as mine. I spent a lot of time with Google at the time
but didn't find any answers.

> Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...

Yeah, I came to the (incorrect) conclusion at the time that it was probably
the drive. I returned it for a full refund that I put towards getting a more
expensive drive. (Lucky I'm a bit anal about keeping original packaging and
all items included for the period of the warranty).

I ended up paying $33 more, plus gas money, and still had the problem
(albeit with a better drive). I'd ruled out Windows as being the problem
initially as I couldn't comlete writing a DVD after booting a Knoppix live
CD. I've since been told that the cause of that was probably because Knoppix
didn't allocate any HDD space as swap (that I know of, apparently if it does
it asks permission and which partition to use. It didn't do either) as I
have a gig of RAM. However, the lack of swap stuffed up the DVD writing.
That's the theory anyway. So that put me crook and lead me to believe that
it was a hardware problem.

I'm pretty sure it's a Windows thing. However, unitstalling the last few
updates didn't fix it for me. I still don't have it completely sorted. If
the drive is enpty Windows calls it a DVD-RW drive. As soon as I put a disc
in it, any disc, Windows calls it a CD drive.

Reading from the disk isn't a problem. The problem arises when you try to
write to the disk with any programme that relies on Windows to tell it that
the drive is a DVD-RW. The only work-around I've found that partially fixes
the problem (with Nero 6.6 at least) is to select 'DVD' at the top of Nero
StartSmart (if you use that). I used to leave it set on CD/DVD and just
select a disc-specific task. That doesn't work for me anymore. Nero
constantly thinks that the disc is a CD under those conditions. Also, Nero
barfs now and then when writing certain discs that it used to write to just
fine. I have installed CDBurnerXP Pro3, a freeware CD / DVD writing proggy.
However, that doesn't like (multi-session) DVD-RW's. It works out ok as
Nero's fine with those but doesn't like DVD+RW's so I use CDBurnerXP for
that. Obviously all the above is what's happening on my machine, yours may
differ. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Nero without the Nero updates
first but that didn't help. Maybe buying Nero 7 instead of using the OEM
Nero 6.6 suite that comes with most drives would help. Then again...

Good luck.
--
~misfit~

cracker

Andrew wrote:

> I remember recently reading about this but i cant find the thread
>
> My drive is doing the same - windows thinks its a cd rom drive
>
> However i have not updated nero recently nor have i put on any windows
> updates.. I think i remember reading that it was a windows update that
> broke it?
>
> Was that the reason?
>
> Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...

I had similar problems, and found the Autoplay Repair Wizard from
Microsoft fixes the problem when it occurs. In my situation I was
temporarily using software that enabled viewing of non Region 4 DVD's
and somehow it affected a setting in the registry which the Repair
Wizard rectifies, then Autoplay works, and the Disk is correctly
identified as CD-R/CD-RW, DVD etc. Very simple tool, only 77KB and can
be used from a CD, not needing to be on the PC.

Search "microsoft autoplay repair wizard" in Google.

Hope this helps!

Cracker.

~misfit~

cracker wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> I remember recently reading about this but i cant find the thread
>>
>> My drive is doing the same - windows thinks its a cd rom drive
>>
>> However i have not updated nero recently nor have i put on any
>> windows updates.. I think i remember reading that it was a windows
>> update that broke it?
>>
>> Was that the reason?
>>
>> Its not a problem as the drive is not failing any discs...

> I had similar problems, and found the Autoplay Repair Wizard from
> Microsoft fixes the problem when it occurs. In my situation I was
> temporarily using software that enabled viewing of non Region 4 DVD's
> and somehow it affected a setting in the registry which the Repair
> Wizard rectifies, then Autoplay works, and the Disk is correctly
> identified as CD-R/CD-RW, DVD etc. Very simple tool, only 77KB and can
> be used from a CD, not needing to be on the PC.
>
> Search "microsoft autoplay repair wizard" in Google.
>
> Hope this helps!

Thanks for that. However, no luck for me. Here's the log:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2006-02-04 16:52:16]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [D:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [D:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: OK
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Fired)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]

Step: Deleting ShellHWDetection LaunchPermission
(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{B1B9CBB2-B198-47E2-8260-9FD629A2B2EC}!LaunchPermission)
Result: The wizard ran into problems while trying to delete this
registry value
(HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AppID\{B1B9CBB2-B198-47E2-8260-9FD629A2B2EC}!LaunchPermission).

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Not good huh?
--
~misfit~

Daniel

~misfit~ wrote:
<snip>

Okay, huge longshot...

but, you don't have Starforce copy protection installed at all do you?

(just an idea)

~misfit~

Daniel wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Okay, huge longshot...
>
> but, you don't have Starforce copy protection installed at all do you?
>
> (just an idea)

Thanks for the suggestion. No, I don't have it. Someone else asked the same
thing.

Cheers Daniel,
--
~misfit~