Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > FILE ACCESS HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED..

FILE ACCESS HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED..

Dave Doe

In article <43e42500$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Rob J wrote:
> > In article <UsAEf.125935$(E-Mail Removed)>, sparkynz1
> > @netscape.net says...

> >> YES, Jerry is right. I booted into safe mode and found exactly what I
> >>needed to do. I took ownership of the files and now I have accerss to
> >>them. Thanks to all who contributed.
> >>It does make a mockery of XP file protection. Knowing I can blithly log
> >>in under safe mode and hack away at file protection??

> > Administrators can do anything. If you keep your admin password private
> > then you are quite safe.

> Not quite, an admin cannot access another user's files. If you were
> running a company, would you want the tecchies to be to access the
> payroll files?
>
> An admin would have to take ownership to access the files, and then the
> original user would no longer be able to access them (and the payroll
> department would know that something fishey was going on)
>
> An admin could change someone's password and logon as them, but then he
> could not change it back.
>
> Administrators can't quite do anything.

They can't copy profiles either - only *the* administrator can do that
(unless they changed that in XP).

Something that might help you in 'normal' mode, BTW (dunno if it works
in Home) is FileACL.exe - you'll find it by searching MS or Google.

--
Duncan

Rob J

In article <bSSEf.129091$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Sparky wrote:
> > Jerry wrote:

> >> No, that will not work. You have to take ownership, and the only way
> >> to do that in XP HOME is in safe mode.

> > YES, Jerry is right. I booted into safe mode and found exactly what I
> > needed to do. I took ownership of the files and now I have accerss to
> > them. Thanks to all who contributed.
> > It does make a mockery of XP file protection. Knowing I can blithly log
> > in under safe mode and hack away at file protection??
> > Will have to keep this one hidden from the kids LOL
> > Thanks again

> Not really. In XP Pro enable encryption. Then the only way to access the
> files will to be by logging on as the user who created them, with the
> correct password.
>
> XP Home has no encryption, so there's really no way it can be secure in
> any way. You can always boot from a linux CD or even a DOS floppy with
> an NTFS driver, and access the files. The closest to 'secure' you can
> get on XP Home is to password the BIOS settings, only allow booting from
> the harddrive, and having a password on the Administrator account (XP
> Home doesn't force you to set one during the install like Pro does)

Pro doesn't force a password during install.

David

Rob J wrote:
> In article <bSSEf.129091$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>> Sparky wrote:

>>> YES, Jerry is right. I booted into safe mode and found exactly what I
>>> needed to do. I took ownership of the files and now I have accerss to
>>> them. Thanks to all who contributed.
>>> It does make a mockery of XP file protection. Knowing I can blithly log
>>> in under safe mode and hack away at file protection??
>>> Will have to keep this one hidden from the kids LOL
>>> Thanks again

>> Not really. In XP Pro enable encryption. Then the only way to access the
>> files will to be by logging on as the user who created them, with the
>> correct password.
>>
>> XP Home has no encryption, so there's really no way it can be secure in
>> any way. You can always boot from a linux CD or even a DOS floppy with
>> an NTFS driver, and access the files. The closest to 'secure' you can
>> get on XP Home is to password the BIOS settings, only allow booting from
>> the harddrive, and having a password on the Administrator account (XP
>> Home doesn't force you to set one during the install like Pro does)

> Pro doesn't force a password during install.

My bad, well it at least asks you for one. With XP Home you have to
reboot into safe mode and set it after installing, something most people
would never remember/be bothered/know about doing.

neutrino

to avoid this ever happening again, reset the "MY" files (my
pictures/photos etc) to another drive or partition other than "C"
drive, in fact I'd tend to suggest installing programs and the saving
of files etc etc to be anywhere else other than "C" drive - then if
for any reason you need to reinstall windows, all your various files
you'v saved over the years ~ will remain safe and secure from being
lost or overwritten.
One program I wouldnt be without is Norton Ghost, you can take a backup
of your whole "C" drive to a file on another partition - or to a dvd -
then if any bug causes problems, or damages "C" drive -you can simply
reload it - back to exactly as it was at last backup.

~misfit~

neutrino wrote:
> to avoid this ever happening again, reset the "MY" files (my
> pictures/photos etc) to another drive or partition other than "C"
> drive, in fact I'd tend to suggest installing programs and the saving
> of files etc etc to be anywhere else other than "C" drive - then if
> for any reason you need to reinstall windows, all your various files
> you'v saved over the years ~ will remain safe and secure from being
> lost or overwritten.
> One program I wouldnt be without is Norton Ghost, you can take a
> backup of your whole "C" drive to a file on another partition - or to
> a dvd - then if any bug causes problems, or damages "C" drive -you
> can simply reload it - back to exactly as it was at last backup.

That is pretty much *exactly* what I do. A 10GB C: partition with only core
OS-type proggies / utils on it, a seperate data partition and a seperate
programmes partition. (I also have a seperate pagefile partition with a
fixed pagefile, formatted FAT32, but that's personal preference) C: is 10GB
but less than half-used, I should have made it smaller but didn't have the
DVD drive when I set up. Ghost will still put it all on one DVD+RW though,
of which I have labeled three and rotate them, doing back-ups every week or
so.

I have my OE store file location set to a different partition and drive to
my OS as well. Also my email client. (I only use OE for NGs)

I also use MS Synctoy to mirror several folders, including My Documents and
a 'Documents' folder on the data partition to an external USB drive at least
once a week.

I *think* I've got it covered. <crosses fingers and hopes not to have jinxed
himself.>
--
~misfit~

Rob J

In article <hGTEf.71009$C%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Rob J wrote:
>
> > In article <nPyEf.10887$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >

> > Why are you giving UNIX commands for a Windows system? He is not running
> > Cygwin!

> Hi
> It was for information on a) who was owning the file and b) how to change
> permissions on individual files so the OP could change ownerships.
>
> Win XP (Pro) has unix type commands available,

Bulldust.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ls
'ls' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> In article <43e42500$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Rob J wrote:
> > > In article <UsAEf.125935$(E-Mail Removed)>, sparkynz1
> > > @netscape.net says...

> > > Administrators can do anything. If you keep your admin password private
> > > then you are quite safe.

> > Not quite, an admin cannot access another user's files. If you were
> > running a company, would you want the tecchies to be to access the
> > payroll files?

They can grant themselves the rights to any files.

> > Administrators can't quite do anything.

> They can't copy profiles either - only *the* administrator can do that
> (unless they changed that in XP).

I use a domain logon which is set as a member of the local
administrators group on the PC. I use it for everything that I need an
administrator logon for, and it is quite indistinguishable from
administrator.

Malcolm

Rob J wrote:

> In article <hGTEf.71009$C%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> Rob J wrote:
>>
>> > In article <nPyEf.10887$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> > (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> >

>> > Why are you giving UNIX commands for a Windows system? He is not
>> > running Cygwin!

>> Hi
>> It was for information on a) who was owning the file and b) how to change
>> permissions on individual files so the OP could change ownerships.
>>
>> Win XP (Pro) has unix type commands available,

> Bulldust.
>
> Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ls
> 'ls' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

Works for me...? XP Pro with SP2 I think it must be the install of cutepdf
writer....

--
Cheers
Malcolm ┬░┬┐┬░

Rob J

In article <aYxFf.20961$(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Rob J wrote:
>
> > In article <hGTEf.71009$C%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

> >> Hi
> >> It was for information on a) who was owning the file and b) how to change
> >> permissions on individual files so the OP could change ownerships.
> >>
> >> Win XP (Pro) has unix type commands available,

> > Bulldust.
> >
> > Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
> > (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
> >
> > C:\Documents and Settings\Admin>ls
> > 'ls' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> > operable program or batch file.

> Works for me...? XP Pro with SP2 I think it must be the install of cutepdf
> writer....

You have cygwin and a command shell installed. This is not part of
Windows XP.

Jerry

Rob J wrote:

>>>Not quite, an admin cannot access another user's files. If you were
>>>running a company, would you want the tecchies to be to access the
>>>payroll files?

> They can grant themselves the rights to any files.

If you are an admin and I am a restricted user, with a password on my
account, you cannot simply access my files. You can take ownership of
my files, but then I won't be able to access them, and I'll know, or at
least suspect, that something is going on. You cannot *give* ownership,
just take it. You can of course reset or change my password and then
logon as me, but again I will know that something has happened.

If the above tecchie takes over ythe payroll files, there should be an
investigation.