Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > FILE ACCESS HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED..

FILE ACCESS HELP DESPERATELY NEEDED..

Dave Taylor

Jerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:43e2f192$(E-Mail Removed):

> The only trick is that with HOME edition you have to be in safe mode to
> do it.

That is a GOTCHA

--
Ciao, Dave

Steven H

Hello Sparky,

> It does make a mockery of XP file protection. Knowing I can blithly
> log in under safe mode and hack away at file protection??

minor clarification, you loged in as Administrator providing the Administrators
password - on computers Administrators (or root) is god, and god can do whatever
god wants to do.

> Will have to keep this one hidden from the kids LOL

use a 'non ovious' password, but something you will renember to secure the
admin account - they do have passwords right ????

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek

> Jerry wrote:
>
>> Collector╗NZ wrote:

>>> The administrator as created in the new install while admin does not
>>> have rights to the old installs admins files, The SID for the user
>>> is
>>> different but the name is the same.
>>> Create a new user and give them full admin rights, log in as that
>>> user
>>> and away you go

>> No, that will not work. You have to take ownership, and the only way
>> to do that in XP HOME is in safe mode.
>>

> YES, Jerry is right. I booted into safe mode and found exactly what
> needed to do. I took ownership of the files and now I have accerss to
> them. Thanks to all who contributed.
> It does make a mockery of XP file protection. Knowing I can blithly
> log
> in under safe mode and hack away at file protection??
> Will have to keep this one hidden from the kids LOL
> Thanks again

Sparky

Mark Robinson wrote:
> Sparky wrote:
>
>> ~misfit~ wrote:

>>> So you still have the virus / spyware but it's now on the non-boot
>>> drive?

>> Nope, I cleaned out my entire windows directory on the old drive..

> And that helps how ?

Helps beacause the offending file(s) were in my old windows directories.
A virsu scan, spyware scan and evey otehr damn scan I could get my hands
on all pointed to suspect files in my windows directory so it got
ditched. The same scan tools now report me as being clean.

Sparky

Jerry wrote:

> Mark Robinson wrote:
>
>> Sparky wrote:

>>> Nope, I cleaned out my entire windows directory on the old drive..

>> And that helps how ?

> He needs photos and work related files. He can save what he needs,
> virus scan it, then erase the rest of the drive, and no trace of his virus.

You are onto to it Jerry ( again)

Gary O'Neill

There is a fairly new virus about which is a sod to clean out and takes a
fair bit knowledge to even halt its internal
spread in your system, as of 4 weeks ago when my son let it in AVG was the
only antivirus
product that could even ID it being there ,it couldn't clean it out but it
gave directory address
and registry entries so you could go in and manually delete them.
This virus copied MS file conventions so most AV progs went right past the
files.
A computer tech I known pulled the virus apart and said it was a very good
piece of coding
and had an address in the lines of code to contact the writer. It was
probably designed to
get attention from IT companies leading to a job.
gary
"Sparky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsdxEf.125872$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Firstly let me explain that I am quite computer literate but this one has
> me stumped.
> I am running WINDOWS XP HOME. I recently had a pesky virus /spyware that
> was proving extremely difficult to remove. So bit the bullet, bought a new
> and bigger hard Drive and re-installed wondows onto that drive.
> My orignal boot drive was relegated down the IDE chain an dnow sits on my
> computer as drive G.
> I can no longer gain access to MY DOCUMENTS folder on the old drive. it
> gives the following message
>
> " G:\documents and settings\dad\My Documents is not accessible
> Access denied"
>
> I have all the family on as users. they can access thier old files no
> problem at all. I canot access mine. I am guessing it has something to do
> with ACCESS RIGHTS to that folder. But I cannot see anywhere in XP HOME
> where I can reassign the folder rights to me.
>
> There are a lot of files in the folder I would like access to. Some family
> photos, but most importantly work realted files which I need to access.
> Can anyone help with the recovery??
> Thanks

Rob J

In article <nPyEf.10887$(E-Mail Removed)>,

Why are you giving UNIX commands for a Windows system? He is not running
Cygwin!

David

Sparky wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
>> Collector╗NZ wrote:

>>> The administrator as created in the new install while admin does not
>>> have rights to the old installs admins files, The SID for the user is
>>> different but the name is the same.
>>> Create a new user and give them full admin rights, log in as that
>>> user and away you go
>>>

>> No, that will not work. You have to take ownership, and the only way
>> to do that in XP HOME is in safe mode.

> YES, Jerry is right. I booted into safe mode and found exactly what I
> needed to do. I took ownership of the files and now I have accerss to
> them. Thanks to all who contributed.
> It does make a mockery of XP file protection. Knowing I can blithly log
> in under safe mode and hack away at file protection??
> Will have to keep this one hidden from the kids LOL
> Thanks again

Not really. In XP Pro enable encryption. Then the only way to access the
files will to be by logging on as the user who created them, with the
correct password.

XP Home has no encryption, so there's really no way it can be secure in
any way. You can always boot from a linux CD or even a DOS floppy with
an NTFS driver, and access the files. The closest to 'secure' you can
get on XP Home is to password the BIOS settings, only allow booting from
the harddrive, and having a password on the Administrator account (XP
Home doesn't force you to set one during the install like Pro does)

Rob J

In article <UsAEf.125935$(E-Mail Removed)>, sparkynz1
@netscape.net says...
> Jerry wrote:
> > Collector╗NZ wrote:

> >> The administrator as created in the new install while admin does not
> >> have rights to the old installs admins files, The SID for the user is
> >> different but the name is the same.
> >> Create a new user and give them full admin rights, log in as that user
> >> and away you go
> >>

> > No, that will not work. You have to take ownership, and the only way to
> > do that in XP HOME is in safe mode.

> YES, Jerry is right. I booted into safe mode and found exactly what I
> needed to do. I took ownership of the files and now I have accerss to
> them. Thanks to all who contributed.
> It does make a mockery of XP file protection. Knowing I can blithly log
> in under safe mode and hack away at file protection??

Administrators can do anything. If you keep your admin password private
then you are quite safe.

Malcolm

Rob J wrote:

> In article <nPyEf.10887$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>

> Why are you giving UNIX commands for a Windows system? He is not running
> Cygwin!

Hi
It was for information on a) who was owning the file and b) how to change
permissions on individual files so the OP could change ownerships.

Win XP (Pro) has unix type commands available, the OP was using Home, wasn't
too sure if these commands are available. Unix Services for Windows is a
free d/l from Microsoft as well

--
Cheers
Malcolm ┬░┬┐┬░

Jerry

Rob J wrote:
> In article <UsAEf.125935$(E-Mail Removed)>, sparkynz1
> @netscape.net says...

>>>No, that will not work. You have to take ownership, and the only way to
>>>do that in XP HOME is in safe mode.

>> YES, Jerry is right. I booted into safe mode and found exactly what I
>>needed to do. I took ownership of the files and now I have accerss to
>>them. Thanks to all who contributed.
>>It does make a mockery of XP file protection. Knowing I can blithly log
>>in under safe mode and hack away at file protection??

> Administrators can do anything. If you keep your admin password private
> then you are quite safe.

Not quite, an admin cannot access another user's files. If you were
running a company, would you want the tecchies to be to access the
payroll files?

An admin would have to take ownership to access the files, and then the
original user would no longer be able to access them (and the payroll
department would know that something fishey was going on)

An admin could change someone's password and logon as them, but then he
could not change it back.

Administrators can't quite do anything.