Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Lag in broadband upsets tech giants

Lag in broadband upsets tech giants

XPD

I aint holding my breath....

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10366618

New Zealand's woeful broadband uptake has local leaders of tech giants
Intel, IBM, Microsoft and Symantec urging the Government to take action on
the matter.
They say the digital divide between connected countries and laggards such as
New Zealand is widening and therefore becoming a danger for business.

jedmeister

"XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I aint holding my breath....
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10366618
>
> New Zealand's woeful broadband uptake has local leaders of tech giants
> Intel, IBM, Microsoft and Symantec urging the Government to take action on
> the matter.
> They say the digital divide between connected countries and laggards such
> as New Zealand is widening and therefore becoming a danger for business.

Isn't this what people were saying 7 years ago?

joe_90

XPD wrote:
> I aint holding my breath....
>
> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10366618
>
> New Zealand's woeful broadband uptake has local leaders of tech giants
> Intel, IBM, Microsoft and Symantec urging the Government to take action on
> the matter.
> They say the digital divide between connected countries and laggards such as
> New Zealand is widening and therefore becoming a danger for business.

and

"Telecom has put forward several arguments as to why New Zealand lags in
OECD broadband uptake, saying uptake has been held back by the
popularity of dial-up access."

What a joke. That's like saying the sales of new cars is depressed
because of the popularity of second hand Jap. imports.

Stu Fleming

jedmeister wrote:
> "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I aint holding my breath....
>>
>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10366618
>>
>>New Zealand's woeful broadband uptake has local leaders of tech giants
>>Intel, IBM, Microsoft and Symantec urging the Government to take action on
>>the matter.
>>They say the digital divide between connected countries and laggards such
>>as New Zealand is widening and therefore becoming a danger for business.
>>

> Isn't this what people were saying 7 years ago?

They only just got the e-mail.

Crash

joe_90 wrote:
> XPD wrote:
>
>> I aint holding my breath....
>>
>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10366618
>>
>> New Zealand's woeful broadband uptake has local leaders of tech
>> giants Intel, IBM, Microsoft and Symantec urging the Government to
>> take action on the matter.
>> They say the digital divide between connected countries and laggards
>> such as New Zealand is widening and therefore becoming a danger for
>> business.

> and
>
> "Telecom has put forward several arguments as to why New Zealand lags in
> OECD broadband uptake, saying uptake has been held back by the
> popularity of dial-up access."
>
> What a joke. That's like saying the sales of new cars is depressed
> because of the popularity of second hand Jap. imports.

I agree. Apparently it id taking Telecom some time to work out that the reason
why dial-up remains popular is because many users don't see the value in the
higher price of the various faster-than-dial-up options.

I would hazard a guess that 'broadband' uptake is highest where pricing is
similar to dial-up or where dial-up is no longer available (if this is the case
anywhere).

Crash.

Which upsets you the most? The story or the photo? richard Computer Support 3 11-10-2010 02:01 PM
one mouse upsets another mouse JWBH Computer Support 11 03-23-2007 06:36 PM
Form label length upsets IE RobM HTML 3 01-27-2005 09:22 AM
Quotes from digital giants (#1) George Preddy Digital Photography 2 12-18-2003 10:36 PM
Quotes from digital giants (#2) George Preddy Digital Photography 1 12-18-2003 05:06 PM

Advertisments