Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > International dialing on 027 - working yet?

International dialing on 027 - working yet?

Richard

I dont have any telecom phones here to test it on, but last time I did have one,
dialing numbers as +649xxxxx or whatever didnt work, have they resolved this yet?

About to get shitty on them with sending me to collections for a phone I was
trying to return since the outlook sync was useless to me when I had to edit the
numbers before using them.

Peter

Richard wrote:

> I dont have any telecom phones here to test it on, but last time I did
> have one, dialing numbers as +649xxxxx or whatever didnt work, have they
> resolved this yet?

Seems the marketing droids have not got on to that one yet. Telecom could
always 'trumbone' such a call through their international switch (perhaps
even overseas) and charge gateway exit and entry fees.

Richard

Peter wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>

>>I dont have any telecom phones here to test it on, but last time I did
>>have one, dialing numbers as +649xxxxx or whatever didnt work, have they
>>resolved this yet?
>>

> Seems the marketing droids have not got on to that one yet. Telecom could
> always 'trumbone' such a call through their international switch (perhaps
> even overseas) and charge gateway exit and entry fees.

Yeah well intentionally making it hard to use there products seems to be a
common thing for telecom to do. Whats the point in having outlook sync if you
have to change your number before you use it..

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Peter wrote:
>> Richard wrote:
>>

>>>I dont have any telecom phones here to test it on, but last time I did
>>>have one, dialing numbers as +649xxxxx or whatever didnt work, have they
>>>resolved this yet?
>>>

>> Seems the marketing droids have not got on to that one yet. Telecom
>> could
>> always 'trumbone' such a call through their international switch (perhaps
>> even overseas) and charge gateway exit and entry fees.

> Yeah well intentionally making it hard to use there products seems to be a
> common thing for telecom to do. Whats the point in having outlook sync if
> you have to change your number before you use it..

It's not the Telecom intention to make it harder. The + as a replacement for
the international call prefix is a GSM standard, not CDMA.

AFAIK, Telecom is working on enabling a feature on the network that would do
the translation - but still in the works. If you use SMS from Telecom it
will work fine with the + sign.

For example all my phone numbers are stored as +64 ... even the New Zealand
number, because the GSM networks know this will be a local, not
international call.

I have both a Telecom and Vodafone accounts, and SMS will work fine on
Telecom even with the + - because the SMSC understand this, but not the
other parts of their mobile network.

If you have a Pocket PC Phone Edition on Telecom (the Harrier or Apache),
there's a program that will translate the number as you dial.

Just give sometime to them, and the + should work.

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz

Richard

Mauricio Freitas [MVP] wrote:

> It's not the Telecom intention to make it harder. The + as a replacement for
> the international call prefix is a GSM standard, not CDMA.
>
> AFAIK, Telecom is working on enabling a feature on the network that would do
> the translation - but still in the works. If you use SMS from Telecom it
> will work fine with the + sign.
>
> For example all my phone numbers are stored as +64 ... even the New Zealand
> number, because the GSM networks know this will be a local, not
> international call.
>
> I have both a Telecom and Vodafone accounts, and SMS will work fine on
> Telecom even with the + - because the SMSC understand this, but not the
> other parts of their mobile network.
>
> If you have a Pocket PC Phone Edition on Telecom (the Harrier or Apache),
> there's a program that will translate the number as you dial.
>
> Just give sometime to them, and the + should work.

Between that and them dicking me around over a software update I lost interest.
I still havent had any answer from them to my letters over why I am not paying
for the phone and wnat to return it so I;m thinking that disputes is the next step.

Its not a GSM thing, even my old nokia 5120i would let me input it, woulndt work
when I tried dialing however. How am I supposed to store my NZ numbers to use
when I roam to the states and try to call there? The feedback I had from my mate
over there is that the + is the only way to call international from his mobile,
the normal 011649 doesnt work at all, and I think it was a cdma phone (may have
being gsm, he didnt know)

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Its not a GSM thing, even my old nokia 5120i would let me input it,
> woulndt work when I tried dialing however. How am I supposed to store my
> NZ numbers to use when I roam to the states and try to call there? The
> feedback I had from my mate over there is that the + is the only way to
> call international from his mobile, the normal 011649 doesnt work at all,
> and I think it was a cdma phone (may have being gsm, he didnt know)

011 works in the USA, when on CDMA networks (Sprint, Verizon). I've used it
last month. + works in the USA, when on GSM networks (Cingular). I also used
this last month (I was attending the CES 2006).

The 5120i allowed to enter + but the network wouldn't recognise. Just
because the phone allows entering something it will not always work -
multi-part SMS for example...

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

colinco

In article Mauricio Freitas [MVP] says...
> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Its not a GSM thing, even my old nokia 5120i would let me input it,
> > woulndt work when I tried dialing however. How am I supposed to store my
> > NZ numbers to use when I roam to the states and try to call there? The
> > feedback I had from my mate over there is that the + is the only way to
> > call international from his mobile, the normal 011649 doesnt work at all,
> > and I think it was a cdma phone (may have being gsm, he didnt know)

> 011 works in the USA, when on CDMA networks (Sprint, Verizon). I've used it
> last month. + works in the USA, when on GSM networks (Cingular). I also used
> this last month (I was attending the CES 2006).
>
> The 5120i allowed to enter + but the network wouldn't recognise. Just
> because the phone allows entering something it will not always work -
> multi-part SMS for example...

AFAIK the + was a convention meaning insert your international access
code here used on printed business cards predating cellular phones. No
excuse for any cell phones not coping with this.

Mauricio Freitas [MVP]

"colinco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article Mauricio Freitas [MVP] says...
>> "Richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Its not a GSM thing, even my old nokia 5120i would let me input it,
>> > woulndt work when I tried dialing however. How am I supposed to store
>> > my
>> > NZ numbers to use when I roam to the states and try to call there? The
>> > feedback I had from my mate over there is that the + is the only way to
>> > call international from his mobile, the normal 011649 doesnt work at
>> > all,
>> > and I think it was a cdma phone (may have being gsm, he didnt know)

>> 011 works in the USA, when on CDMA networks (Sprint, Verizon). I've used
>> it
>> last month. + works in the USA, when on GSM networks (Cingular). I also
>> used
>> this last month (I was attending the CES 2006).
>>
>> The 5120i allowed to enter + but the network wouldn't recognise. Just
>> because the phone allows entering something it will not always work -
>> multi-part SMS for example...
>>

> AFAIK the + was a convention meaning insert your international access
> code here used on printed business cards predating cellular phones. No
> excuse for any cell phones not coping with this.

It's the network, not the mobile phone...

--

Mauricio Freitas
www.geekzone.co.nz
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

colinco

In article Mauricio Freitas [MVP] says...
> It's the network, not the mobile phone...

What ever, my point was that the "+" convention predated both GSM and
CDMA.