Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > External USB Hard drive help required

External USB Hard drive help required

I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.

Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.

However I've noticed a couple of things:

1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
there's no files on the HDD

2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
detect it.

This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.

I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
be ok.

Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

Craig Shore

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:52:49 +1300, A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
>The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
>think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
>
>Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
>
>However I've noticed a couple of things:
>
>1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
>there's no files on the HDD
>
>2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
>comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
>FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
>from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
>detect it.
>
>This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
>
>I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
>be ok.
>
>Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
>back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
>chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

How big are your files, and what file system are you using on the drive?
I'd guess seeing as Win ME can access the drive you're using FAT.
If the files are larger than 4gb and you're using Fat32 or Fat16 then that may
be your problem.

Try using NTFS.

Rider

"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
> The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
> think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
>
> Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
>
> However I've noticed a couple of things:
>
> 1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
> there's no files on the HDD
>
> 2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
> comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
> FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
> from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
> detect it.
>
> This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
>
> I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
> be ok.
>
> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

The joys of trying to save a couple of bucks by buying offshore.

Rider

news.xtra.co.nz

"Rider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gFkEf.114309$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
>> The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
>> think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
>>
>> Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
>>
>> However I've noticed a couple of things:
>>
>> 1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
>> there's no files on the HDD
>>
>> 2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
>> comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
>> FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
>> from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
>> detect it.
>>
>> This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
>>
>> I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
>> be ok.
>>
>> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
>> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
>> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.
>>

> The joys of trying to save a couple of bucks by buying offshore.
>
> Rider

i've imported lots of times, and saved thousands. The joy of spending that
extra cash rather than the local distributor

EMB

A wrote:

> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

Try setting the drives to CS or MASTER - different cases seem to have
different requirements in this way.

--
EMB

MarkH

A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
> The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
> think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
>
> Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
>
> However I've noticed a couple of things:
>
> 1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
> there's no files on the HDD
>
> 2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
> comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
> FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
> from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
> detect it.
>
> This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
>
> I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
> be ok.
>
> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

My suggestion is to take this as a lesson learned and to buy a good
enclosure like this one: http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASICZ740U2
This is a well made unit with a good design. Between the one that I bought
for myself and the other half a dozen or so that friends have, I have yet
to see any issues at all (all on PCs with WinXP SP2).

I have also come across people who have bought a cheap enclosure locally
and then had problems. But you tend to get that with cheap junk.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

~misfit~

MarkH wrote:
> A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>> I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
>> The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
>> think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
>>
>> Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
>>
>> However I've noticed a couple of things:
>>
>> 1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
>> there's no files on the HDD
>>
>> 2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
>> comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
>> FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
>> from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
>> detect it.
>>
>> This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
>>
>> I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems
>> to be ok.
>>
>> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
>> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
>> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

> My suggestion is to take this as a lesson learned and to buy a good
> enclosure like this one:
> http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASICZ740U2 This is a well
> made unit with a good design. Between the one that I bought for
> myself and the other half a dozen or so that friends have, I have yet
> to see any issues at all (all on PCs with WinXP SP2).
>
> I have also come across people who have bought a cheap enclosure
> locally and then had problems. But you tend to get that with cheap
> junk.

I've seen that enclosure pictured many times but it's always the same
picture. I don't have any luck with the manufacturers link on that page,
perhaps you can tell me; Does it have little feet? I'm thinking of heat
dispersion / airflow around the case. I know how hot modern HDDs can get,
especially in summer.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

Mark Robinson

A wrote:
> I purchased a couple 3.5" External Hard drive cases from Hong Kong.
> The price was right - US$9 each but postage more than doubles this. I
> think the final cost was about NZD$30 each.
>
> Anyway - it detects fine and seems to initially work ok.
>
> However I've noticed a couple of things:
>
> 1. When I delete files I don't seem to get the space back but it says
> there's no files on the HDD

Are the files in the "Recycle Bin" ?

> 2. When I copy large files (video etc...) it starts off ok but then
> comes up with an error "Error copying file or folder. Cannot copy
> FILENAME: The device is not ready". After that the device disappears
> from Windows and I have to turn it off and on again for Windows to
> detect it.
>
> This happens on two machines both running XP with SP2.
>
> I also tried it on an older machine running Windows ME and it seems to
> be ok.
>
> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

I'd guess the drive/case want's more power than is available from your USB
ports. Are there other USB devices you can disconnect ? Can you power the
drives externally rather than through the USB port ?

Gordon

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:17:35 +1300, Mark Robinson wrote:

> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
>> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
>> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

> I'd guess the drive/case want's more power than is available from your USB
> ports. Are there other USB devices you can disconnect ? Can you power the
> drives externally rather than through the USB port ?

Good point. I have read some place where the USB power supply is
struggling to supply the power needed to drive a 3.5" HD. The ones i have
seen all have been supplied with an external power supply. They work well
like this.

MarkH

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:17:35 +1300, Mark Robinson wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions? I've contacted the supplier who said to send them
>>> back but its going to cost me $57 to send them back and there's a
>>> chance they'll say nothing is wrong with them.

>> I'd guess the drive/case want's more power than is available from
>> your USB ports. Are there other USB devices you can disconnect ? Can
>> you power the drives externally rather than through the USB port ?

> Good point. I have read some place where the USB power supply is
> struggling to supply the power needed to drive a 3.5" HD. The ones i
> have seen all have been supplied with an external power supply. They
> work well like this.

Since a 3.5" drive needs 12V + 5V and the USB port can only supply 5V I
don't know of any 3.5" HDD enclosure that can power the drive from the USB
port.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade