Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How much of my bandwith do Ferrit pop-up movies cost me?

How much of my bandwith do Ferrit pop-up movies cost me?

Philip

If you go to the Herald onlone site, you get shafted with a popup video
advertising Ferrit.

How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?

Philip

JC

Philip wrote:
> If you go to the Herald onlone site, you get shafted with a popup video
> advertising Ferrit.
>
> How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
> better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?
>
> Philip

adblock for firefox maybe?

~misfit~

JC wrote:
> Philip wrote:
>> If you go to the Herald onlone site, you get shafted with a popup
>> video advertising Ferrit.
>>
>> How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
>> better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?
>>
>> Philip

> adblock for firefox maybe?

That's what I use.
--
~misfit~

Old Bill

"Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43e1448c$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you go to the Herald onlone site, you get shafted with a popup video
> advertising Ferrit.
>
> How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
> better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?
>
> Philip

Same thing was happening on Stuff iirc.

The most common solution was to stop using the site - you get what you pay
for.

Jerry

Old Bill wrote:
> "Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43e1448c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>If you go to the Herald onlone site, you get shafted with a popup video
>>advertising Ferrit.
>>
>>How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
>>better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?
>>
>>Philip

> Same thing was happening on Stuff iirc.
>
> The most common solution was to stop using the site - you get what you pay
> for.

Adblock in firefox will kill the ad in stuff very nicely

Dave Taylor

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:43e17cc2$1
@news.orcon.net.nz:

>> adblock for firefox maybe?

> That's what I use.
> --
> ~misfit~

With the Filterset-G Plugin.

--
Ciao, Dave

Nho Whei

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:39:47 +1300, Jerry <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Old Bill wrote:
>> "Philip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:43e1448c$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>If you go to the Herald onlone site, you get shafted with a popup video
>>>advertising Ferrit.
>>>
>>>How much bandwidth is this using? Is there any way to know - and even
>>>better, any way to shut off this unwanted data hog?
>>>
>>>Philip

>> Same thing was happening on Stuff iirc.
>>
>> The most common solution was to stop using the site - you get what you pay
>> for.
>>

>Adblock in firefox will kill the ad in stuff very nicely

Yup - does for me, though I'm using Adblock Plus with the Filterset.G
Updater.
Not certain though as to whether it's just the display of material
that is defeated, or whether my bandwidth is still being "stolen".

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:17:57 +1300 when I remembered Nho Whei

>Not certain though as to whether it's just the display of material
>that is defeated, or whether my bandwidth is still being "stolen".

I believe Adblock stops the site requesting that particular ad,
thereby not downloading it, thereby not using your bandwidth.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

~misfit~

Dave Taylor wrote:
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:43e17cc2$1
> @news.orcon.net.nz:
>
>>> adblock for firefox maybe?

>> That's what I use.
>> --
>> ~misfit~
>>

> With the Filterset-G Plugin.

I try to install it but I get the message "Software installation is
currently disabled, click Edit Options.... to enable it and try again."
However, I click Edit Options and can't find a setting in there that makes a
blind bit of difference.

Help?
--
~misfit~

Philip

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> T'was the Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:17:57 +1300 when I remembered Nho Whei
> <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>> Not certain though as to whether it's just the display of material
>> that is defeated, or whether my bandwidth is still being "stolen".

> I believe Adblock stops the site requesting that particular ad,
> thereby not downloading it, thereby not using your bandwidth.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.

It just keeps on getting better. installed Adblocvk and the site ius
free of nuisances.

I wouldn't have blocked a static ad, or a banner - web pages are free to
make their money they way they like.

but in a cramped restricted "broadband" environment like ours, I reckon
they're sailing pretty close to the wind to start hogging my bytes to
push their message in extravagant video...

Or am I being the grinch that spoils their Christmas?

Philip

PS is Ferrit

(a) an good
(b) any better thn TradeMe?

ferrit advert XPD NZ Computing 8 02-21-2006 08:32 AM
Ferrit.co.nz rupert NZ Computing 16 11-28-2005 09:24 PM
Ferrit.co.nz Nick Mackechnie NZ Computing 0 11-28-2005 08:40 PM
Ferrit Community Forums Ferrit Community Forums Computer Support 18 09-29-2003 11:37 PM

Advertisments