Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dangers in copying pics from camera to computer

Dangers in copying pics from camera to computer

Bill Funk

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 23:32:52 -0000, "Dontcha" <No@thanks> wrote:

>"Martin Brown" <|||newspam|||@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:drree1$dtg$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Charles Schuler wrote:
>>
>>> Any one who is even a little bit serious about photography would buy a
>>> card reader ... they ain't all that expensive!

>> Plenty of card readers (and Dozy OS's) do not honour the "media changed"
>> flag so you are between the devil and the deep blue sea.
>>
>> XP will quite happily try to mangle flash media that you unplug without
>> explicitly unmounting, and then splat down the directory info of the
>> previous media onto the next thing you plug into the same socket. And
>> eject is conveniently next to format drive on the right click menu...

>Not necessarily so. I often just remove my card without unmounting from the
>card reader and Win XP has no problems with it.

So do I, often.
However, you snipped the part that's important:
"User error is the most frequent cause of data loss by far -
unplugging an active drive with memory writes still in progress."
The main reason flash RAM devices get farkled is because the user
doesn't know a delayed write is taking place. It *looks* like writing
stopped, then the OS starts writing again. The user pulls the
card/drive, and, PRESTO!, farkled card/drive.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 12:48:29 +1300, Peter Huebner <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>>
>> Any one who is even a little bit serious about photography would buy a card
>> reader ... they ain't all that expensive!
>>

>A statement that is not necessarily appropriate.
>My camera uses xD cards. My card reader has a dual slot for xD cards, and it's
>extremely difficult to actually push the tiny card into that huge slot and find
>the proper position.
>What's more, the card reader (HP) is actually A LOT slower reading info from
>the card than my camera (Oly 5050), despite the fact that it transmits data to
>the comp via ethernet rather than usb.
>
>The only time it makes even remotely sense for me to use the card reader is, if
>I want to do lengthy operations on the card: multipe copies, renaming as I go,
>rotation....(as discussed, to avoid draining the batteries in the camera with
>possible problems arising).
>As a day to day operation, rather than finding my reading glasses, and fumbling
>the card into the reader, then waiting 3 minutes for the reader to initialize
>all the pics on the card, I rather plug the usb cable into the camera, into the
>hub on my monitor and I am away in seconds, without messing with that tiny
>chip.
>
>I have used some of the larger card formats from other people's cameras in the
>reader and at least the fumbling part does not apply. Just as slow, though.
>
>-P.

A better card reader will obviate your problems.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

E. Scrooge

"Jim F B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:43e13258$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A friend has alerted me to the potential danger in copying your digital
>pictures directly from your camera to your computer. Apparently, if the
>camera battery goes flat while the transfer is taking place, it is possible
>to lose all your pictures. Worse still, there is the possibility of
>permanent damage to your memory stick.
>
> Of course, the way to overcome this risk, is to use a card reader to
> transfer your pics on to your computer. I was rather surprised to learn
> about this possibility because I have always transferred my pics to my
> computer directly from the camera.
>
> Can anyone advise me why memory sticks and SD cards are subject to failure
> in this manner? I would have thought that the manufacturers would have
> been able to build in safeguards so that this sort of thing could not
> happen! Has anyone experienced loss of pictures or damage to SD cards as a
> result of a flat camera battery during the transfer process? Do you think
> it is a wise safeguard to invest in a dedicated card reader?
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> Jim

Of course you'll also notice that once you (not anyone else) remove your
camera batteries everything on the memory card in the camera is deleted ---
you'll believe anything.
Downloading does not effect what's on the card at all.

Pulling a memory card in and out the camera all the time is going to be real
good on the wear tear of all contacts. If the low warning is showing for
rechargeable batteries only a fool would **** round trying to download many
pictures from a camera to a PC.

E. Scrooge

Jim F B

> Of course you'll also notice that once you (not anyone else) remove your
> camera batteries everything on the memory card in the camera is
> deleted --- you'll believe anything.
> Downloading does not effect what's on the card at all.

But if downloading stops half way through the process because of a flat
battery, some people warn that data may be lost. Otherwise, I would agree,
that the downloading process does not alter what's on the card at all, it
stays there until your format the card or erase the pictures (formatting
being the preferred way to delete your pictures from a card to avoid build
up of any remnants).

> Pulling a memory card in and out the camera all the time is going to be
> real good on the wear tear of all contacts. If the low warning is showing
> for rechargeable batteries only a fool would **** round trying to download
> many pictures from a camera to a PC.

A good point about pulling memory cards in and out of the camera, but I
guess they are fairly robust and that it would take a long time to wear down
the contacts to any serious degree? After being warned, I will now at least
check for flat batteries before doing a download, but I like the idea of
leaving the card in the camera as much as possible.

Regards, Jim

(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):
>I got a little USB2 plug-in reader for my CF cards at CompUSA.

Nametag on mine says "Thunderbolt CF Card Reader".
It's from www.ziocorp.com
--
PeteCresswell

news.xtra.co.nz

"(PeteCresswell)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Per Jim F B:
>> Do you think it is a wise
>>safeguard to invest in a dedicated card reader?

> Yes.
>
> Also because of:
>
> - The convenience/portability factor. Keep it in your bag and you can
> upload to somebody else's PC without installing anything.
>
> - No worries about installing dicey camera mfr software on your PC.
>
> I got a little USB2 plug-in reader for my CF cards at CompUSA. It's also
> extremely fast..
> --
> PeteCresswell

do they export to nz?

or, were you in the states?

Måns Rullgård

"Jim F B" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Måns Rullgård" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> CeeBee <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> For 10 to 15 bucks getting rid of all the hassle of connecting your
>>> camera
>>> to the PC you mean? You bet.

>> The hassle need not be very great. One of my cameras (Sony DSC-V1)
>> acts as a USB mass storage device (aka card reader) so no software
>> needs to be installed. The other (Canon 350D) acts as God knows what.

> Yes, you can use the memory card in most cameras as you would a hard drive,
> that is, you can record your word processing, spreadsheet, and any other
> files on it, but its capacity is rather limited (hard to get cards here
> greater than 4GB). A 60GB Ipod is a better supplementary drive to back up
> all your computer files on.

How is what you just said relevant to copying photos from the flash
card to the computer?

--
Måns Rullgård

Måns Rullgård

"Jim F B" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
>
>> Of course you'll also notice that once you (not anyone else) remove your
>> camera batteries everything on the memory card in the camera is
>> deleted --- you'll believe anything.
>> Downloading does not effect what's on the card at all.

> But if downloading stops half way through the process because of a flat
> battery, some people warn that data may be lost. Otherwise, I would agree,
> that the downloading process does not alter what's on the card at all, it
> stays there until your format the card or erase the pictures (formatting
> being the preferred way to delete your pictures from a card to avoid build
> up of any remnants).

If the OS updates access timestamps on the files as it reads them, it
will be writing to directory entries in the card filesystem. Each
flash page holds many directory entries, so if something goes wrong
while updating a single entry, the entire page may be lost, and all
the files with it. Recovery software may be able to retrieve the
image data, but I wouldn't want to depend on it.

--
Måns Rullgård
(E-Mail Removed)

Lost In Space/Woodchuck

the memory cards function just like a hard drive in your computer. So if the
power dies then there's a big chance of screwing up the data.

"Jim F B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:43e13258$(E-Mail Removed)...
>A friend has alerted me to the potential danger in copying your digital
>pictures directly from your camera to your computer. Apparently, if the
>camera battery goes flat while the transfer is taking place, it is possible
>to lose all your pictures. Worse still, there is the possibility of
>permanent damage to your memory stick.
>
> Of course, the way to overcome this risk, is to use a card reader to
> transfer your pics on to your computer. I was rather surprised to learn
> about this possibility because I have always transferred my pics to my
> computer directly from the camera.
>
> Can anyone advise me why memory sticks and SD cards are subject to failure
> in this manner? I would have thought that the manufacturers would have
> been able to build in safeguards so that this sort of thing could not
> happen! Has anyone experienced loss of pictures or damage to SD cards as a
> result of a flat camera battery during the transfer process? Do you think
> it is a wise safeguard to invest in a dedicated card reader?
>
> Thanks for your advice.
>
> Jim

Jim F B

"Lost In Space/Woodchuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fSdEf.33$(E-Mail Removed)...
> the memory cards function just like a hard drive in your computer. So if
> the power dies then there's a big chance of screwing up the data.

So is it possible for data to be screwed up if the power goes off while a
transfer of data is being made from a memory card that is in a USB card
reader? Or are card readers protected against power failures so that the
memory cards and their data are not harmed?