Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Dangers in copying pics from camera to computer

Dangers in copying pics from camera to computer

KewlKiwi

MarkH wrote:

> I was not surprised that it is possible, just surprised that someone
> actually did it. I have seen chargers for AA batteries that plug into a
> USB socket, my only question is why? (unless you have a laptop that you
> could use when there is no power source)

There are all sorts of things that use the USB power, even a coffee-cup
warmer plate. How about a pair of electric gloves?
http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_list.php...at=USB+Gadgets

> A camera can have its battery charged by solar panels, but I know of no
> camera that comes with solar panels for charging the battery. I don't
> doubt that it is possible, but would be VERY surprised if there was a
> camera that actually did come with a solar panel for charging the battery.

Perhaps it's because it'd be rather impractical. A solar panel capable
of supplying enough power to charge a camera in a reasonable time would
probably be a lot bigger than the camera itself.

Mind you, while there may not be a camera that 'comes with solar panels'
it could be an excellent idea as an after-market accessory! Think of a
tramper on extended trips in the outback...

What I'm surprised at is that there aren't more cameras that can
(re)charge via the USB port. Most of them, after all, do have a USB
socket to connect to the computer, and that socket can supply 5 volts
(albeit at a low wattage) so why not take advantage of it while the
camera is connected to d/l photos?

It may (depending on the camera) need additional circuitry to limit
current draw (to protect the host supply) but that would be a simple
addition on the circuit board (I guessing here)

You're surprised there is one such camera, I'm surprised there aren't a
lot of them.

Bob

Dave Taylor

KewlKiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:43e82ec4$(E-Mail Removed):

> It may (depending on the camera) need additional circuitry to limit
> current draw (to protect the host supply) but that would be a simple
> addition on the circuit board (I guessing here)

USB is current limited by the host hub device. (or is supposed to be)
The camera may be able to pull more than 500 mA when it is connected to the
charger.
There is some good info out there on how it works. Here is one:
http://www.everythingusb.com/

--
Ciao, Dave

Jerry

Jim F B wrote:
> "Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Kibo informs me that Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> stated that:
>>

>>>Proper procedure, UNLESS that is an internal device, which can't be
>>>unplugged, and replugged to initiate remounting...
>>>In the case of internal card readers, NEVER 'safely remove hardware' or
>>>you won't be able to use the device again until you have rebooted....

>>Doing a "Detect new hardware" from Control Panel would probably work.
>>But of course you shouldn't be using the "Safely Remove Hardware" on the
>>*card reader*. The right way to ensure that your memory card is
>>correctly synced before removal is to go into Explorer or My Computer
>>(or, in fact, anything that displays drive letters), *right-click* on
>>the drive letter for your memory card, then select "eject" from the
>>menu. If the light on the card reader isn't flashing, you can then
>>safely pop out the memory card.
>>--
>>. | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
>> \|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est
>>---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------
>>

> Doesn't all this prove that it's far better for most people to stick with
> transferring pics from the camera, particularly if you never transfer large
> numbers of pics at any one time?

No, most people will find it easier from a card reader. A lot of new
computers and printers even come with a built in card reader.

Jerry

KewlKiwi wrote:
> Rob J replied to:
>
>>> What, physically or electrically, is not 'normal' about it?

> With:
>
>> It probably has extra contacts and therefore isn't a standard USB at all.

> Nope - it is a standard USB camera socket. Called, I believe, a '5-pin
> Mini B' (Google confirms, there are lots of them out there)
>
> It's exactly the same as the ones on lots of other cameras and devices,
> including my wife's Cannon.
>
> It has 5 contacts, the cable has 5 pins. It receives, and uses, the
> standard 5 volt supply from a USB host.
>
> And, as I said in another post, I dont even use the cable that came with
> the camera, preferring the Cannon one which is more or less permanently
> connected to the computer.
>
> I've just had a look at the camera's cable, and it is exactly the same
> plug as the Cannon (and also the one that came with my MP3 player.
>
> There are no extra contacts, no extra 'bits' that might trigger or break
> a switch in the camera, no way for the camera to know that it's not
> connected with the cable that came with it.
>
> To repeat, it is a standard USB cable and the camera's socket is a
> standard USB socket.
>
> Give up yet? Or would you like to have another go at explaining:
> >>What, physically or electrically, is not 'normal' about it

> Bob

http://www.networktechinc.com/technote.html has the pinout of the 5 pin
mini USB cable. It is a standard cable

KewlKiwi

Dave Taylor wrote:

> USB is current limited by the host hub device. (or is supposed to be)
> The camera may be able to pull more than 500 mA when it is connected to the
> charger.
> There is some good info out there on how it works. Here is one:
> http://www.everythingusb.com/

Thank you Dave.

Bob

KewlKiwi

Jerry wrote:

> http://www.networktechinc.com/technote.html has the pinout of the 5 pin
> mini USB cable. It is a standard cable

Thank you Jerry.

Bob

Ron Hunter

Rob J wrote:
> In article <43e713da$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> MarkH replied to:

>> With:
>>> Nope, the battery can be charged from the wall, using the socket which
>>> is not just a USB socket, but also doubles as a charging socket. You
>>> seem to be confused on what the socket on the camera is, clearly it is
>>> not JUST a USB socket. In fact the manual clearly says that the socket
>>> you are talking about is a "Mini USB Port / Power Adaptor Port". So the
>>> camera can in fact be charged through its "Power Adaptor Port"

>> Yep, the manual calls it a "Mini USB Port / Power Adapter Port"
>>
>> Bear with me here... perhaps you can explain just how that is different
>> from a 'normal' USB socket on a camera - most of which, if not all, have
>> access to the standard USB 5volts available on one of the 4 or 5 pins.
>>
>> IOW, how is the socket on my camera 'not just a USB socket'?
>> (other than the name it's given in the manual)
>>
>> What, physically or electrically, is not 'normal' about it?

> It probably has extra contacts and therefore isn't a standard USB at
> all.

The standard USB port provides 5V at up to 500mw. No need for extra
contacts.

Ron Hunter

MarkH wrote:
> KewlKiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:43e715bd$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> MarkH wrote:
>>> KewlKiwi <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> news:43e59eec$(E-Mail Removed):

>>> Feel free to find a post from me where I say that I am sure that it
>>> is impossible for a camera to be charged from the computer's USB port
>>> and I will apologise for saying it!

>> I was just surprised at your surprise [grin] that such a thing is
>> possible.

> I was not surprised that it is possible, just surprised that someone
> actually did it. I have seen chargers for AA batteries that plug into a
> USB socket, my only question is why? (unless you have a laptop that you
> could use when there is no power source)
>
> A camera can have its battery charged by solar panels, but I know of no
> camera that comes with solar panels for charging the battery. I don't
> doubt that it is possible, but would be VERY surprised if there was a
> camera that actually did come with a solar panel for charging the battery.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised. I believe there are plans to produce a
laptop with a hand crank! Really!

DaveD

Rob J wrote:

> It probably has extra contacts and therefore isn't a standard USB at
> all.

Googling "5 pin mini usb connections" gave me this on the 7th hit :-

http://www.physiol.ox.ac.uk/~trp/pinouts.html

and under USB there is this (fixed width font required) :-

Mini-B Plug (for miniature peripheral devices)

Solder/crimp view (or socket view)

___________________
| x x x x x |
| 1 2 3 4 5 |
| |
---------------

Pin 1 +5V Red
Pin 2 -Data White
Pin 3 +Data Green
Pin 4 key (not connected)
Pin 5 GND Black

So it is a *standard* ... with pin 4 used as a key-way .. until some
smart arse wants to do something *non-standard* and, provided the device
manufacturer puts the charging circuit in the camera / whatever,
plugging it in to a live USB socket can charge the internal battery.

KewlKiwi

DaveD wrote:

> So it is a *standard* ... with pin 4 used as a key-way .. until some
> smart arse wants to do something *non-standard* and, provided the device
> manufacturer puts the charging circuit in the camera / whatever,
> plugging it in to a live USB socket can charge the internal battery.

Thank you Dave

Bob