Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ihug 2Mbps lousy?

Reply
Thread Tools

Ihug 2Mbps lousy?

 
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2006
On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:23:57 +1300, Craig Shore
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:32:53 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I've seen *bursts* of around 140 kB/s on my Orcon plan. However, they don't
>>last long and you have to sit watching Azureus for quite a while to see such
>>thing, usually at around 3am. Early hours average around 90 kB/s recently.
>>Forget it during the day.

>
>I get the feeling with bittorrent mostly the problem is the seeding speed. There
>may be heaps of people seeding it, but they are highly likely seeding more than
>just that torrent and their upload is spread out over a lot of people.
>

It depends how far up the ladder you are.

Torrents are generally slow from public sites. As a general rule, I do
not download from public sites. The sources I use are capable of
sustained performance at orders of magnitude higher than NZ's pathetic
internet offerings.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2006
Fred Dagg wrote:
> Ok, now I'm officially impressed.
>
> Currently consistently downloading torrents at around 200kB/s, (which
> is about 1.6Mbps), bursting to 250kB/s (2Mbps).
>
> This is such a breath of fresh air after the disappointment of Orcon's
> 2Mbps lie.
>
> I will continue to update my experiences in the coming days, for any
> who are interested.
>
> [Note that this is just the experience of one person in one area, and,
> whilst based on real world experiences, is opinion and non-scientific
> - although it would appear that the Orcon experiences are shared by
> many]


Good to hear. I also jumped ship from Orcon today, I put the order in for
Actrix 2Mb plan. I'll post how it goes here too, for the edification of any
readers.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-02-2006
Craig Shore wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:32:53 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I've seen *bursts* of around 140 kB/s on my Orcon plan. However,
>> they don't last long and you have to sit watching Azureus for quite
>> a while to see such thing, usually at around 3am. Early hours
>> average around 90 kB/s recently. Forget it during the day.

>
> I get the feeling with bittorrent mostly the problem is the seeding
> speed. There may be heaps of people seeding it, but they are highly
> likely seeding more than just that torrent and their upload is spread
> out over a lot of people.


I agree that, sometimes, it's probably the seeding speed. However, that
isn't the complete picture as I have a friend using Xtra and we've both
D/L'ed the same torrent with *very* different speeds.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brendan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-03-2006
On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 02:19:40 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Good to hear. I also jumped ship from Orcon today, I put the order in for
> Actrix 2Mb plan. I'll post how it goes here too, for the edification of any
> readers.


How long did they say it will take ? Any special tricks to avoid expense
and delays, other gotchas ?

--

.... Brendan

#6562 +(3840)- [X]

<skrike> I think the people above me are having sex
<skrike> either that or they're sleeping restlessly and agreeing with each
other a lot.


Note: All my comments are copyright 4/02/2006 12:16:35 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-03-2006
Brendan wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 02:19:40 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:
>
>> Good to hear. I also jumped ship from Orcon today, I put the order
>> in for Actrix 2Mb plan. I'll post how it goes here too, for the
>> edification of any readers.

>
> How long did they say it will take ? Any special tricks to avoid
> expense and delays, other gotchas ?


They said it depends on Telecom. The rough estimate is within 14 days. Can
be quite a bit less depending on workload. If you sign up for 6 months
they'll pay your churn fee, if you cancel before the 6 months you only pay
back the proportionate amount, not the whole thing. I tried to time my
change so that I'm up and running before my next billing period starts with
Orcon. However, I'm told it would have been better if I'd got in before the
Telecom billing period as well, different to the Orcon one. (Orcon's amazing
helpdesk will be able to tell you your Telecom date, it's the date you first
got UBS.... or ADSL, not sure on that, methinks the later). I'm surprised
that they differ. However I do remember getting billed a part-month when I
changed to UBS. My Telecom anniversary is the 8th. I don't think I'm going
to make it somehow. Orcon billing date is the 23rd, should make that one
fine. I'd hate to go over by a day and be paying a month for a day. (Or
being without internet access for a period of time).

I can't wait.

BTW, do you think this "best effort" clause goes both ways? I'll make my
best effort to pay the final bill on time but... circumstances out of my
control could cause delays. Heh!
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Brendan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2006
On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 03:32:04 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

> They said it depends on Telecom. The rough estimate is within 14 days. Can
> be quite a bit less depending on workload. If you sign up for 6 months
> they'll pay your churn fee, if you cancel before the 6 months you only pay
> back the proportionate amount, not the whole thing. I tried to time my
> change so that I'm up and running before my next billing period starts with
> Orcon. However, I'm told it would have been better if I'd got in before the
> Telecom billing period as well, different to the Orcon one. (Orcon's amazing
> helpdesk will be able to tell you your Telecom date, it's the date you first
> got UBS.... or ADSL, not sure on that, methinks the later). I'm surprised
> that they differ. However I do remember getting billed a part-month when I
> changed to UBS. My Telecom anniversary is the 8th. I don't think I'm going
> to make it somehow. Orcon billing date is the 23rd, should make that one
> fine. I'd hate to go over by a day and be paying a month for a day. (Or
> being without internet access for a period of time).


Ok.

> I can't wait.


I bet!

> BTW, do you think this "best effort" clause goes both ways? I'll make my
> best effort to pay the final bill on time but... circumstances out of my
> control could cause delays. Heh!


Lol, bet they will not like it the other way around!

--

.... Brendan

#77904 +(4972)- [X]

<Sui88> 67% of girls are stupid
<V-girl> i belong with the other 13%


Note: All my comments are copyright 4/02/2006 3:27:13 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven H
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2006
Hello ~misfit~,

> (Orcon's amazing helpdesk will be able to
> tell you your Telecom date, it's the date you first got UBS.... or
> ADSL, not sure on that, methinks the later).


so isp's do have that information, i should keep that in mind the next time
im looking around -

i recently shifted houses (2 weeks ago), since then i have been relegated
to the 7th circle of hell known as Dialup.

i have made no less than 3 attempts at getting my adsl connected with my
provider (ihug), each and every time the jobs were getting rejected by telecom.

turns out some ****tard didnt 'close' my job for my telecom change of service
/ billing address - if you try to do anything to your telecom line while
a job is in progress it just gets denied.

now the only reason i know that is because i sat in telecom helpdesk hell
(well first i was in telecom help desk training room hell) chatting with
three different people trying to get to the bottom of why this was going
on, eventually i got some helpful person who told me that somebody ****ed
up (well not their words) and it would be sorted today (which it was).

anyhow, god only knows why the incompetent ****tards over at ihug couldn't
tell me that there was a 'job in progress', if i had known earlier i would
have jumped on telecoms back earlier - no instead i have to wait two weeks
in dialup hell because somebody over at ihug doesn't have the common decency
to realize that i am a paying customer that deserves just a little bit of
service.

if i wasn't on a contract i would be jumping from ihug over this crap, it
is completely incomprehensible why its taken this long especially considering
that i am paying them good money (internet and tolls), i sure as hell shouldn't
be expected to fart around in telecoms helpdesk getting bounced between people
because its 'out of their expertise' - that's what i pay ihug for, they are
the ones who know exactly who to talk to.

tomorrow afternoon i will be giving ihug a ring and making my point - i wont
be rude about it, but they will know how i feel

----------------
Steven H

the madGeek


 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2006
Steven H wrote:
> Hello ~misfit~,


Hey Steven,

>> (Orcon's amazing helpdesk will be able to
>> tell you your Telecom date, it's the date you first got UBS.... or
>> ADSL, not sure on that, methinks the later).

>
> so isp's do have that information, i should keep that in mind the
> next time im looking around -


They do indeed. I asked "Lulu" the Asian female who could hardly speak
English and didn't call me when she promised to and she got the info for me.
It took her maybe 5 minutes to find it but find it she did. I had a vague
recollection that it was the 9th that I was connected (It *was* a couple
years ago) and told her so. She said probably, making the 8th the last day
of the current period.

> i recently shifted houses (2 weeks ago), since then i have been
> relegated to the 7th circle of hell known as Dialup.
>
> i have made no less than 3 attempts at getting my adsl connected with
> my provider (ihug), each and every time the jobs were getting
> rejected by telecom.
> turns out some ****tard didnt 'close' my job for my telecom change of
> service / billing address - if you try to do anything to your telecom
> line while a job is in progress it just gets denied.
>
> now the only reason i know that is because i sat in telecom helpdesk
> hell (well first i was in telecom help desk training room hell)
> chatting with three different people trying to get to the bottom of why
> this was
> going on, eventually i got some helpful person who told me that somebody
> ****ed up (well not their words) and it would be sorted today (which it
> was).
>
> anyhow, god only knows why the incompetent ****tards over at ihug
> couldn't tell me that there was a 'job in progress', if i had known
> earlier i would have jumped on telecoms back earlier - no instead i
> have to wait two weeks in dialup hell because somebody over at ihug
> doesn't have the common
> decency to realize that i am a paying customer that deserves just a
> little bit of service.
>
> if i wasn't on a contract i would be jumping from ihug over this
> crap, it is completely incomprehensible why its taken this long especially
> considering that i am paying them good money (internet and tolls), i
> sure as hell shouldn't be expected to fart around in telecoms
> helpdesk getting bounced between people because its 'out of their
> expertise' - that's what i pay ihug for, they are the ones who know
> exactly who to talk to.


That sucks. I considered Ihug but decided Actrix as a few people had
not-so-good things to say about Ihug. Glad you got it sorted.

> tomorrow afternoon i will be giving ihug a ring and making my point -
> i wont be rude about it, but they will know how i feel


Excellent. More people need to do this. We in NZ are much to bloody polite
and put up with "service" that people in most other countries wouldn't
accept. It's about time we caught up with the rest of the world and
suppliers started treating their customers better. Be vocal about how you
feel you're being treated. Vote with your wallet if you're not happy, after
making it clear exactly why you are doing it.

The irony of my whole situation is that, if Orcon had listened, maybe put me
through to someone who I could talk to without having to get every other
sentence repeated and who knew what PPP was and the difference between the
ADSL connection dropping and the PPP dropping I'd probably still be with
them, giving them time to try to sort it. However, as I was being treated
like a milk-cow, being taken for >$90 a month and told nothing other than
"Unplug your phones. It's probably a bad line", I'll go in search of an ISP
who will try to do better.

Christ, I'll wager *I* know more about ADSL than the Orcon helpdesk staff.
And I can *certainly* speak better English. "Lulu" gave me her email address
to let her know the moment I'm connected with Actrix so she can close my
Orcon account. The address consists of four letters then the usual
@orcon.net.nz and it took about 5 minutes to get it right. Other stuff is
easier to understand as the human brain puts words in a comversation into
context and anticipates / interprets what they mean. Things like an email
addy really show how well they speak Engrish.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: The name IHUG is now long gone - hardly surprising that Vodafone has dropped the ihug internet name. Dave Doe NZ Computing 5 04-11-2008 06:46 PM
Re: The name IHUG is now long gone - hardly surprising that Vodafone has dropped the ihug internet name. Katipo NZ Computing 2 04-10-2008 09:52 PM
ihug website wont go for some ihug customers...... iascoot NZ Computing 5 08-11-2006 09:53 AM
Xtra 2Mbps International Download Speeds-Slow David D NZ Computing 22 08-18-2005 07:34 AM
Re: LindowsOS skymedia (ihug Ultra) install cowboyz NZ Computing 9 07-13-2003 02:18 PM



Advertisments