Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Ihug 2Mbps lousy?

Ihug 2Mbps lousy?

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:54:59 +1300, "Craig Whitmore"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>"Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
>> totally underwhelmed.
>>
>> Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
>> (which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
>> 380kbps.
>>

>Can you give some results: (repeat the tests with Ctrl pressed down)
>
>www.nzdsl.co.nz/speedtest
>http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/index.html

Good speeds now - pretty close to 2Mbps (between 1.5 and 2, which is
good enough for me).

Will be interesting to see whether the problems earlier is just what
happens during peak times (obviously not good enough), or was just a
coincidental blip.

Will keep all informed. I think we all should be very vocal about the
quality of our connections.

>your slowness could be related to
>http://www.ihug.co.nz/cgi-bin/motd.pl?192475.motd
>where they are doing work on their UBS it looks like

Yup, saw that (was the first place I looked). However, it says 11:45pm
on 2/2.

Brendan

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 22:51:50 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:

> http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/9M_file.zip
>
> I get 200Kb/s exactly (never been any faster since I moved to a conklin
> unit)

244Kb/s, orcon 2mbit UBS.

IF ONLY IT DID THAT ON THE P2P PORTS ALSO!

Lucky if you get 50kb/s for 10 secs there...

--

.... Brendan

#262417 +(4366)- [X]

<_kr4m3r> so many ****ing criminals, its bullshit
<foniks`> heh, if we sent all the criminals to some empty continent and
just left them there to die
<foniks`> and showed up like 50yrs later like, "sup?"
<foniks`> whatd u think they'd say?
<FoSZoR[bg]> something along the lines of, "G`Day mate"

Note: All my comments are copyright 2/02/2006 12:29:59 a.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

Stu Fleming

Fred Dagg wrote:

> Will keep all informed. I think we all should be very vocal about the
> quality of our connections.

Orcon 2M ADSL @ 200KBps @ < $100/month
<unnamed> 2M frame-relay @ 211KBps @ $3200/month

Fred Dagg

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:25:11 +1300, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Hi, all.
>
>Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
>totally underwhelmed.
>
>Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
>(which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
>380kbps.
>
>It got so bad before, an RDP session actually timed out.
>
>Egad, now I'm surfing at about 1/4 of the speed of dialup.
>
>I'm hoping that this is just coincidence, and that they're
>experiencing network problems at the moment. If it persists, I'll give
>their helldesk a call.
>
>Will keep this thread updated.

Ok, now this is nice.

Get this: Currently downloading a torrent at 180-250kbps. THAT'S
ACTUALLY FULL SPEED!! Ok, it is 2am, and sure, I should be asleep, but
still...

A (just under) 4GB torrent in around 4 hours... Nice.

I'm going to be really interested over the next day or two to see
whether the problems earlier in the day were just a glitch.

Orcon's plan very seldom if ever got up to these speeds.

~misfit~

Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:25:11 +1300, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)>
> exclaimed:
>
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
>> totally underwhelmed.
>>
>> Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
>> (which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
>> 380kbps.
>>
>> It got so bad before, an RDP session actually timed out.
>>
>> Egad, now I'm surfing at about 1/4 of the speed of dialup.
>>
>> I'm hoping that this is just coincidence, and that they're
>> experiencing network problems at the moment. If it persists, I'll
>> give their helldesk a call.
>>
>> Will keep this thread updated.

> Ok, now this is nice.
>
> Get this: Currently downloading a torrent at 180-250kbps. THAT'S
> ACTUALLY FULL SPEED!! Ok, it is 2am, and sure, I should be asleep, but
> still...
>
> A (just under) 4GB torrent in around 4 hours... Nice.

Wow!! That's great! I've only downloaded one torrent that size through Orcon
and it took me 2 weeks. No ****, two weeks. On a 2M plan. It's a bit better
now but still.....

> I'm going to be really interested over the next day or two to see
> whether the problems earlier in the day were just a glitch.

Same, as are a lot of Orcon customers I think. I'm going to ring Orcon's
helldesk back today as it's been three days since they said they'd ring me
back within 30 minutes.

> Orcon's plan very seldom if ever got up to these speeds.

I've seen *bursts* of around 140 kB/s on my Orcon plan. However, they don't
last long and you have to sit watching Azureus for quite a while to see such
thing, usually at around 3am. Early hours average around 90 kB/s recently.
Forget it during the day.
--
~misfit~

David

Craig Whitmore wrote:
>> That's good enough for me, I'm switching. I just got
>>
>>> Your line speed is approximately 1536.1 Kbps or 188.3 K bytes/sec

>> Using my Xtra 2M connection on the nzdsl speedtest.

> Depending there you are and what equipment you are on.. (like me which I'm
> on a Conklin unit and I can see 100% the same problem with other lines i
> know are on conklin units ).. I can only get 200Kb/s MAX downloading from
> anyplace and it gets slower when other people are downloading at that time
> on the same conklin unit.
>
> Speedtest pages are only an estimate.. but see what you get in real world
> tests.
>
> For example download something nationally and see what real world speeds you
> get..
>
> http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/9M_file.zip
>
> I get 200Kb/s exactly (never been any faster since I moved to a conklin
> unit)

7.7kB/s (I'm on 64k). I don't really care if I don't get the full 2mbit,
a month of reasonable speed is much more useful to me than a week of
good speed and 4 of unusable 64k. The free uploads are also very
attractive, as I find that about 1/3 of my usage is on uploads.

Any feedback on the ihug plan's P2P importance? I just realised the OP
didnt mention P2P and that's really all that matters to me, as long as
HTTP, NNTP and email are usable of course.

Craig Shore

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:32:53 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've seen *bursts* of around 140 kB/s on my Orcon plan. However, they don't
>last long and you have to sit watching Azureus for quite a while to see such
>thing, usually at around 3am. Early hours average around 90 kB/s recently.
>Forget it during the day.

I get the feeling with bittorrent mostly the problem is the seeding speed. There
may be heaps of people seeding it, but they are highly likely seeding more than
just that torrent and their upload is spread out over a lot of people.

Fred Dagg

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 01:58:19 +1300, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 19:25:11 +1300, Fred Dagg <(E-Mail Removed)>
>exclaimed:
>
>>Hi, all.
>>
>>Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
>>totally underwhelmed.
>>
>>Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
>>(which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
>>380kbps.
>>
>>It got so bad before, an RDP session actually timed out.
>>
>>Egad, now I'm surfing at about 1/4 of the speed of dialup.
>>
>>I'm hoping that this is just coincidence, and that they're
>>experiencing network problems at the moment. If it persists, I'll give
>>their helldesk a call.
>>
>>Will keep this thread updated.

>Ok, now this is nice.
>
>Get this: Currently downloading a torrent at 180-250kbps. THAT'S
>ACTUALLY FULL SPEED!! Ok, it is 2am, and sure, I should be asleep, but
>still...
>
>A (just under) 4GB torrent in around 4 hours... Nice.
>
>I'm going to be really interested over the next day or two to see
>whether the problems earlier in the day were just a glitch.
>
>Orcon's plan very seldom if ever got up to these speeds.

Ok, now I'm officially impressed.

Currently consistently downloading torrents at around 200kB/s, (which
is about 1.6Mbps), bursting to 250kB/s (2Mbps).

This is such a breath of fresh air after the disappointment of Orcon's
2Mbps lie.

I will continue to update my experiences in the coming days, for any
who are interested.

[Note that this is just the experience of one person in one area, and,
whilst based on real world experiences, is opinion and non-scientific
- although it would appear that the Orcon experiences are shared by
many]

Steve

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 21:23:57 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:32:53 +1300, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I've seen *bursts* of around 140 kB/s on my Orcon plan. However, they don't
>>last long and you have to sit watching Azureus for quite a while to see such
>>thing, usually at around 3am. Early hours average around 90 kB/s recently.
>>Forget it during the day.

> I get the feeling with bittorrent mostly the problem is the seeding speed. There
> may be heaps of people seeding it, but they are highly likely seeding more than
> just that torrent and their upload is spread out over a lot of people.

I've limited the upload bandwidth at work to 10kbit - at 40kbit, the
download performance was rather poor, to say the least (:

telstra/adsl.

Steve

Steve

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:38:38 +1300, E. Scrooge wrote:

> "Fred Dagg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi, all.
>>
>> Finally our Ihug UBS plan was connected today, and I must say, I am
>> totally underwhelmed.
>>
>> Initial, totally unscientific testing, over a short period of time
>> (which also doubles as the busy period) indicate speeds of around
>> 380kbps.
>>
>> It got so bad before, an RDP session actually timed out.
>>
>> Egad, now I'm surfing at about 1/4 of the speed of dialup.
>>
>> I'm hoping that this is just coincidence, and that they're
>> experiencing network problems at the moment. If it persists, I'll give
>> their helldesk a call.
>>
>> Will keep this thread updated.

> You're hardly getting what you paid for.
> They shouldn't even advertise what they can't deliver.
>
> You want to buy a Ferrari off me?
> Just don't be surprised if your Ferrari turns out to be a Mini with a
> plastic toy Ferrari stuffed into it's glove box.
>
> If ihug can get away with false advertising anyone else should be able to as
> well.
>
> And just how many other ISPs actually deliver Broadband speeds that they're
> advertising?
>
> E. Scrooge

.... and the last time you got 108mbit out of your wireless router was... (: