Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Paradise / Telstra usuage problem

Paradise / Telstra usuage problem

Ross Dawson

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:55:00 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Ross Dawson wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 07:05:39 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> yeah - I think the meter is reports random usage actually. I got an
>>> email at 2am last night to tell me I had just sucked up 4 gig of traffic
>>> that put me over my cap. Yesterday when I looked at it - I had only used
>>> 63% of the total 10gig limit. lol ..... I have not had anything charged
>>> on my account yet from this usage meter - I guess I would only really be
>>> p***sed off if they charged me. Right now its ust an annoyance that you
>>> can't get correct detail from the meter.
>>>
>>> Sue

>> I don't know I would be so relaxed about it if it were your gas or
>> water meter arbitrarally doing this! So why should we be if it's an
>> isp's traffic measureing system doing same.
>>

>thats a fair comment - but I contacted Telstra about a similar problem
>in December and nothing has ever been charged as a result of the meter
>giving weird information. On that occassion the meter reported a spike
>in downloads of 23 gigs in a 2 hour stretch - thats reallll broadband!
>Relaxed about it? Well....I guess I have other issues to worry about -
>if it showed up on my bill - then I would take it up with them <shrugs>

So if it looks OK then you'll just accept they are right!

Not me.!!

--
Cheers for now

Ross Dawson.

Mark Robinson

Ross Dawson wrote:
> Did they also forget to tell you about the loss of the 1/10 data
> metering for local traffic, and the fact that now anything even from
> them is metered whereas before stuff from their own site wasn't.

If you've upgraded to any of the new plans you have forgone this concession.

> I also note with some interest that as of yesterday their media /
> radio/ whatever, is still stated as being free of data measurement,
> alas I don't believe this is correct now, perhaps it's supposed to be
> but their useage meter when it is working is certainly measureing
> traffic from that source.

Jim F B

"Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...

>> I also note with some interest that as of yesterday their media /
>> radio/ whatever, is still stated as being free of data measurement,
>> alas I don't believe this is correct now, perhaps it's supposed to be
>> but their useage meter when it is working is certainly measureing
>> traffic from that source.

The usage meter has been taken down, which can only be a good thing until it
is sorted out.
A message reads:

We are experiencing technical difficulties with this Usage Meter and as a
result the usage details can not currently be displayed. We apologise for
the inconvenience and are working to resolve this as soon as possible.

.

Jonno

"Ross Dawson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:55:00 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Ross Dawson wrote:

>>> I don't know I would be so relaxed about it if it were your gas or
>>> water meter arbitrarally doing this! So why should we be if it's an
>>> isp's traffic measureing system doing same.
>>>

>>thats a fair comment - but I contacted Telstra about a similar problem
>>in December and nothing has ever been charged as a result of the meter
>>giving weird information. On that occassion the meter reported a spike
>>in downloads of 23 gigs in a 2 hour stretch - thats reallll broadband!
>>Relaxed about it? Well....I guess I have other issues to worry about -
>>if it showed up on my bill - then I would take it up with them <shrugs>

> So if it looks OK then you'll just accept they are right!
>
> Not me.!!

I see they have taken their usage meter down with a message saying they are
experiencing difficulties. I guess that statement is as near as saying it is
their fault as we are going to get? What I wonder is, will those that have
not contacted them about the sudden upsurge in their usage get a rebate or
will Telstra just let it slide? Some people just get a bill and pay it
without question. More the fool them you may say, but it doesn't make it
right.

Jonno

Mark Robinson

Tuatara wrote:
> Anyone else hving problems with this. When I checked my usage this mornng
> it said I sucked down 2 gigs last night in the space of 5 minutes (yeah
> right). The helpdesk said they had a couple of similar calls this morning -
> but refused to confirm it as a fault.
>
> I am running hard and soft firewalls - and scan clean for spyware / viruses.

I've had no trouble like that, although it's affected many other people going
back years. The theory is that should someone mount a DoS attack against your
ip number, the usage meter racks it up against your account at the routers even
though your computer or even your modem are off.

On a related note I'm always annoyed by the stupidity of the page that pops up
after you click on "Usaqe" from the member's page:

> Member Internet Usage
>
> Depending on the type of plan you have, you can check how much time you've spent online or how much traffic you've used, over any period. This information is viewable by plan period, day or hour.
>
> Check here for your dial-up usage meter tool
>
> Check how much traffic you've used (Not for Paradise ADSL users*)
> Note: Paradise ADSL users must refer to the Jetstream usage meter due to timing differences in billing and usage information. Please click on the link below.

Crikey guys, I just logged in. You KNOW what my plan is. Put two and two
together will ya and lose this usless page.

Ross Dawson

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:43:11 +1300, "Jonno" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Ross Dawson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:55:00 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>thats a fair comment - but I contacted Telstra about a similar problem
>>>in December and nothing has ever been charged as a result of the meter
>>>giving weird information. On that occassion the meter reported a spike
>>>in downloads of 23 gigs in a 2 hour stretch - thats reallll broadband!
>>>Relaxed about it? Well....I guess I have other issues to worry about -
>>>if it showed up on my bill - then I would take it up with them <shrugs>

>> So if it looks OK then you'll just accept they are right!
>>
>> Not me.!!

>I see they have taken their usage meter down with a message saying they are
>experiencing difficulties. I guess that statement is as near as saying it is
>their fault as we are going to get? What I wonder is, will those that have
>not contacted them about the sudden upsurge in their usage get a rebate or
>will Telstra just let it slide? Some people just get a bill and pay it
>without question. More the fool them you may say, but it doesn't make it
>right.
>
>Jonno

Indeed.

--
Cheers for now

Ross Dawson.

Ross Dawson

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:23:59 +1300, Mark Robinson
<(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote:

>Ross Dawson wrote:
>> Did they also forget to tell you about the loss of the 1/10 data
>> metering for local traffic, and the fact that now anything even from
>> them is metered whereas before stuff from their own site wasn't.

>If you've upgraded to any of the new plans you have forgone this concession.

A fact I am now aware of, but wasn't at the time and wasn't made aware
of at the time of signing up for the new plan.

--
Cheers for now

Ross Dawson.

Ross Dawson

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 13:35:03 +1300, "Jim F B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mark Robinson" <(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)2tod.net...
>
>>> I also note with some interest that as of yesterday their media /
>>> radio/ whatever, is still stated as being free of data measurement,
>>> alas I don't believe this is correct now, perhaps it's supposed to be
>>> but their useage meter when it is working is certainly measureing
>>> traffic from that source.

>The usage meter has been taken down, which can only be a good thing until it
>is sorted out.
>A message reads:
>
>We are experiencing technical difficulties with this Usage Meter and as a
>result the usage details can not currently be displayed. We apologise for
>the inconvenience and are working to resolve this as soon as possible.

It's a pity they don't also say "that while we have the useage meter
down we will NOT charge you or attempt to charge you for any traffic
used during this time"

--
Cheers for now

Ross Dawson.

smf

Ross Dawson wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:55:00 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Ross Dawson wrote:

>>> I don't know I would be so relaxed about it if it were your gas or
>>> water meter arbitrarally doing this! So why should we be if it's an
>>> isp's traffic measureing system doing same.
>>>

>> thats a fair comment - but I contacted Telstra about a similar problem
>> in December and nothing has ever been charged as a result of the meter
>> giving weird information. On that occassion the meter reported a spike
>> in downloads of 23 gigs in a 2 hour stretch - thats reallll broadband!
>> Relaxed about it? Well....I guess I have other issues to worry about -
>> if it showed up on my bill - then I would take it up with them <shrugs>

> So if it looks OK then you'll just accept they are right!
>
> Not me.!!

lolllll
relax mate - I run my own meter that I KNOW is correct - I just make
sure telstra never charge me for anything extra based on their meter -
and the point you keep missing is they have not billed me for anything
untoward reported by their meter

Ross Dawson

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 18:01:02 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Ross Dawson wrote:
>> On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 17:55:00 +1300, smf <time.enough***@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> thats a fair comment - but I contacted Telstra about a similar problem
>>> in December and nothing has ever been charged as a result of the meter
>>> giving weird information. On that occassion the meter reported a spike
>>> in downloads of 23 gigs in a 2 hour stretch - thats reallll broadband!
>>> Relaxed about it? Well....I guess I have other issues to worry about -
>>> if it showed up on my bill - then I would take it up with them <shrugs>

>> So if it looks OK then you'll just accept they are right!
>>
>> Not me.!!
>>

>lolllll
>relax mate - I run my own meter that I KNOW is correct - I just make
>sure telstra never charge me for anything extra based on their meter -
>and the point you keep missing is they have not billed me for anything
>untoward reported by their meter

No I am not missing the point.

My point is if it were near enough, and you didn't have any way of
verifying what you had or had not used you and I guess me as well
would say fair cop, but with the problems that have been present with
the useage meter would you not still have the niggleing doubt about
whether or not you had used that exact amount of data.

--
Cheers for now

Ross Dawson.