Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > IE7 Beta 2 Preview Available for download

IE7 Beta 2 Preview Available for download

~misfit~

Nik Coughlin wrote:
> Nathan Mercer wrote:
>> Peter S wrote:
>>> I would have thought that Shift-clicking a link would open a new tab
>>> rather than a new browser instance.

>> Shift click has always done that in IE
>> To open in a new tab you can do control-click

> Or middle-click with the mouse as I prefer to do.

Same as Firefox huh? MS trailing the field again.
--
~misfit~

Mutlley

"~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Nik Coughlin wrote:
>> Nathan Mercer wrote:
>>>
>>> Shift click has always done that in IE
>>> To open in a new tab you can do control-click

>> Or middle-click with the mouse as I prefer to do.

>Same as Firefox huh? MS trailing the field again.

And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> IE7 Beta2 preview is now available for download from
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/
>
> This beta2 release is primarily for Devs and ITPros (application
> compatibility and website compat testing)
>
> See the IE website for an IT Pro checklist
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...checklist.mspx
>
> The IE blog has more details

Looks good!

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, mutley2000
@hotmail.com says...
> "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Nik Coughlin wrote:

> >> Or middle-click with the mouse as I prefer to do.

> >Same as Firefox huh? MS trailing the field again.

> And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
> software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

Are you a software thief?

shannon

Rob J wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, mutley2000
> @hotmail.com says...

>>> Same as Firefox huh? MS trailing the field again.

>> And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
>> software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

> Are you a software thief?

Are you ?

Mutley

Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, mutley2000
>@hotmail.com says...

>> >Same as Firefox huh? MS trailing the field again.

>> And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
>> software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

>Are you a software thief?

What company in their rite mind would want you to validate your OS to
try a beta that could very well trash your OS. Also who would want to
install this software on a PC who's operating criteria is Win XP
SP2?? What about the users of XP with SP1 installed and Win2K
users?? Guess we will stick with real browsers like Firefox and
Opera..

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed)VEcom says...
> Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, mutley2000
> >@hotmail.com says...

> >> And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
> >> software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

> >Are you a software thief?
> >

> What company in their rite mind would want you to validate your OS to
> try a beta that could very well trash your OS.

Lots of MS stuff requires validation these days, get used to it.

The only people who are likely to have a problem with validation are
running pirated copies of Windows.

> Also who would want to
> install this software on a PC who's operating criteria is Win XP
> SP2??

Everyone who keeps up with updates to Windows XP.

> What about the users of XP with SP1 installed

Why would anyone run SP1 when SP2 is available and dependable?

Rob J

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> IE7 Beta2 preview is now available for download from
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/ie7/
>
> This beta2 release is primarily for Devs and ITPros (application
> compatibility and website compat testing)
>
> See the IE website for an IT Pro checklist
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...checklist.mspx
>
> The IE blog has more details

If you tell it not to go to a new tab this works if you open the tab
manually
But if a site opens a popup or you click on a link that opens a new
window that is opened as a tab it does go to that tab.

Brett Roberts

"Mutley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rob J <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, mutley2000
>>@hotmail.com says...

>>> And fancy requiring you to validate your copy of windows to try beta
>>> software. Take a hike. Opera and Firefox are just fine for me..

>>Are you a software thief?
>>

> What company in their rite mind would want you to validate your OS to
> try a beta that could very well trash your OS. Also who would want to
> install this software on a PC who's operating criteria is Win XP
> SP2?? What about the users of XP with SP1 installed and Win2K
> users?? Guess we will stick with real browsers like Firefox and
> Opera..

Windows XP Service Pack 2 shipped almost 18 months ago and you would be
hard-pressed to find a reputable commentator who recommends not installing
it. In that time it has become the most rapidly-adopted SP in Microsoft's
history and NZ has one of the highest adoption levels worldwide.

As for Windows 2000, I suspect that the majority of users who haven't
upgraded to the latest version of the OS (i.e. Windows XP) probably aren't
hell-bent on getting their hands on the latest version of Internet Explorer
either. Even the Mozilla folks "recommend" Windows XP over other Windows
variants for Firefox http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/system-requirements and
while Firefox will run on Windows 2000 what's the story for users who aren't
on Max OS X yet ? Or those who want to run a Linux kernel older than 2.2.14
? No software is infinitely backward-compatible (although it can be if
you're willing to throw infinite amounts of money and/or time at it)

Brett Roberts
Microsoft NZ