Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptop with serial port

Laptop with serial port

Ray Greene

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 18:05:09 +1300, Collector»NZ <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
>>
>> I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes them.
>> Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
>> alternatives.
>>
>> It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
>> unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't work
>> reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing
>>

>There are USB serial adapters and There are Good USB serial adapters. Our
>serial interface digital timing equipment for races was unbelievably fussy
>about serial ports but work well with the adapters I purchased, in fact often
>worked with them and not the serial port on the notebook.
>
>Cant remebre the brand of them at the moment but they came from a cable place
>up at Albany I will see If I still have any left and get the brand for you.

Thanks Collector, I'd be grateful for that. We need the serial port for
programming PLCs. If we could find an adapter that worked it would make life
a lot easier.

Thanks to everyone for all the other replies too, there are more options out
there than I realised.

--
Ray Greene

Aaron Lawrence

On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
Ray Greene exclaimed:
> Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?

Dell Lattitude D610

Just got one ... seems like a marked improvement on the previous
version.
--
aaronl at consultant dot com
For every expert, there is an equal and

Sparky

What serial port/USB adapter are you using, or trying to use Ray. I have
had mixed success with them. I wanted one so I could connect a PIC
programmer to my laptop. It is a Toshiba but without a coms port. I
found that the BELKIN adapter worked perfectly for me. Worked in fact
when many others did not.
If you have difficulty sourcing one let me know I have a couple here and
you are welcome to try one
Regards
Adrian

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 13:35:08 +1300, Sparky <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>What serial port/USB adapter are you using, or trying to use Ray. I have
>had mixed success with them. I wanted one so I could connect a PIC
>programmer to my laptop. It is a Toshiba but without a coms port. I
>found that the BELKIN adapter worked perfectly for me. Worked in fact
>when many others did not.
>If you have difficulty sourcing one let me know I have a couple here and
>you are welcome to try one

Thanks for the offer Adrian. I'm not sure what type of adapter it was, one of
our engineers was trying it. I'll ask him next week.

Is this the one you have?
http://www.ascent.co.nz/ProductSpeci...?ItemID=109221

--
Ray Greene