Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Laptop with serial port

Laptop with serial port

Ray Greene

Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?

I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes them.
Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
alternatives.

It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't work
reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing

--
Ray Greene

Krazy Bob

"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3vDf.83996$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
>
> I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes
> them.
> Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
> alternatives.
>
> It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
> unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't
> work
> reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing
>
> --
> Ray Greene

I just recently purchased a IBM thinkpad. can't remember the model number
but it had a serial port in it and as well as a parallel port, which was
strange. Purchased from Noel Lemmings

KB

Tony

Dell certainly does on the larger models.

Ray Greene wrote:
> Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
>
> I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes them.
> Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
> alternatives.
>
> It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
> unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't work
> reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing

Ewen McNeill

In article <d3vDf.83996$(E-Mail Removed)>, Ray Greene <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?

My HP NC6220 (bought about two months ago) came with a serial port built
onto it; my previous laptop (Acer Travelmate 361Evi) had a little adapter
supplied with it which provided a serial port (and parallel port) via the
port replicator socket -- it wouldn't surprise me if other laptops adopted
that approach.

I suspect you'll find that _some_ models of laptops most vendors will come
with hardware serial ports, especially amongst the desktop alternative
and desktop replacement sorts of models. But it may take a bit of looking
to find the right models.

Floppy drives, OTOH, seem to be long gone on laptops. USB floppies solve
some, but not all, of the backwards compatiblity issues (eg, it's not always
possible to format floppies on a USB floppy drive).

Ewen

Rob J

In article <CrvDf.84005$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d3vDf.83996$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
> >
> > I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes
> > them.
> > Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
> > alternatives.
> >
> > It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
> > unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't
> > work
> > reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing
> >
> > --
> > Ray Greene

> I just recently purchased a IBM thinkpad. can't remember the model number
> but it had a serial port in it and as well as a parallel port, which was
> strange.

Not at all strange, most laptops still have a parallel port as do
practically all desktops.

There are still massive numbers of printers that use parallel and you
can still buy them new, but there is not that much demand for serial
ports these days.

Krazy Bob

"Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> In article <CrvDf.84005$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>>
>> "Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:d3vDf.83996$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
>> >
>> > I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes
>> > them.
>> > Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
>> > alternatives.
>> >
>> > It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
>> > unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't
>> > work
>> > reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ray Greene

>> I just recently purchased a IBM thinkpad. can't remember the model number
>> but it had a serial port in it and as well as a parallel port, which was
>> strange.

> Not at all strange, most laptops still have a parallel port as do
> practically all desktops.
>
> There are still massive numbers of printers that use parallel and you
> can still buy them new, but there is not that much demand for serial
> ports these days.

Well most of all the printers on show at noel lemming were USB and not
parallel, i assumed since usb is faster than parallel then its just a show
of the times.

But thanks anyway

KB

Rob J

In article <PXvDf.84010$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> "Rob J" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) z...
> > In article <CrvDf.84005$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> > says...
> >>
> >> "Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:d3vDf.83996$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> I just recently purchased a IBM thinkpad. can't remember the model number
> >> but it had a serial port in it and as well as a parallel port, which was
> >> strange.

> > Not at all strange, most laptops still have a parallel port as do
> > practically all desktops.
> >
> > There are still massive numbers of printers that use parallel and you
> > can still buy them new, but there is not that much demand for serial
> > ports these days.

> Well most of all the printers on show at noel lemming were USB and not
> parallel, i assumed since usb is faster than parallel then its just a show
> of the times.

Most modern printers have USB ports, some still have parallel and USB.
The main advantage of putting a USB port onto a printer is that Macs
have never used a parallel port and work directly with USB.

But there are still loads of printers around that only have a parallel
port, but very few serial printers, or in fact any serial devices these
days.

Tony

> But there are still loads of printers around that only have a parallel
> port, but very few serial printers, or in fact any serial devices these
> days.

All mid-high end Network equipment uses the serial port for initial and
emergency configuration.

Otis E Levator

Went through the same thing last year, needed them to program fire alarm
panels.
We finally got hold of some Compaq NX6120 models. Good little machine for
the
price!

Otis.

"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d3vDf.83996$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
>
> I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes
> them.
> Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
> alternatives.
>
> It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
> unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't
> work
> reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing
>
> --
> Ray Greene

Collector»NZ

Ray Greene wrote:
> Does anyone know of any new laptops available with a serial port?
>
> I know Toshiba have them but I don't know if anybody else still makes them.
> Toshiba make good laptops but I'd just like to see if there are any
> alternatives.
>
> It seems that serial ports are going the way of the floppy drive but
> unfortunately we need to connect to some industrial hardware that won't work
> reliably with a USB serial adapter, it needs the real thing

There are USB serial adapters and There are Good USB serial adapters. Our
serial interface digital timing equipment for races was unbelievably fussy
about serial ports but work well with the adapters I purchased, in fact often
worked with them and not the serial port on the notebook.

Cant remebre the brand of them at the moment but they came from a cable place
up at Albany I will see If I still have any left and get the brand for you.

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
*Slow day Posts Blog*