Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Argh @ Trade Me

Reply
Thread Tools

Argh @ Trade Me

 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2006
In article <43deb066$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, A
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> There was a time a few years back when somebody was creating new
>>> accounts, placing $1m bids, getting disabled, creating another
>>> account, and so on just for the fun of it. These incidents have
>>> pretty much disappeared (probably also with more advanced warning
>>> systems on TM (e.g. all bids over a certain amount should be red
>>> flagged and investigated).

>>
>> Sounds like a valuable service to me - systems testing

>
>Heh! You wouldn't say that if it was your auction that had run for a week,
>you had a good (legitimate) bid leading and you *really* needed the money
>soon.... and some plonker bid $1M on it and you had to re-list. Wery
>inconwenient.


Quite correct, I wouldn't
Still, they should have thought about idiots before going live ... there are
so many ofthem

Bruce

----------------------------------------
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good
people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and
only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett

Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, A <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:00:35 +1300, Running with scissors
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On , , Sun, 29 Jan 2006 11:21:34 +1300, Argh @ Trade Me, "Krazy
>>Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Recieved a email today advising me im 1 cent in debt with my acount on trade
>>>me and telling me i have to pay $10 to credit it back.
>>>i laughed because im not paying simply because they tell me to, i'll do it
>>>when i feel like it.
>>>
>>>So now, i log into trade me, nice warning banner tellin me im 1 cent OD, and
>>>go to ask a question and im not allowed because im 1 cent OD, and if i ask
>>>anyway i risk getting my account suspended.
>>>all this because of 1 cent....*lol*

>>
>>It is a machine doing the messages, to it ANY debit is a debit,
>>whether it is 1 cent or $1000. There needs to be a human
>>oversight on such messages going out.

>
>All it takes is to set the machine to allow some sort of limit before
>the emails are sent out - even if its $2. i.e. balance <$2 debit then
>do nothing, balance>$2 debit send out email. It can't be that hard.


Note - you can't ask questions if your balance is zero either. Given how
much sense that makes, what chance do you think there is of getting a real
debit (of whatever size) ignored ?


Bruce

----------------------------------------
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good
people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and
only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett

Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2006
Bruce Sinclair wrote:
> In article <43deb066$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Heh! You wouldn't say that if it was your auction that had run for a
>> week, you had a good (legitimate) bid leading and you *really*
>> needed the money soon.... and some plonker bid $1M on it and you had
>> to re-list. Wery inconwenient.

>
> Quite correct, I wouldn't
> Still, they should have thought about idiots before going live ...
> there are
> so many ofthem


True. I see one in my bathroom every time I go in there. Through this
funny-looking window that shows everything backwards.
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bruce Sinclair
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-01-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Bruce Sinclair wrote:
>> In article <43deb066$(E-Mail Removed)>, "~misfit~"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> Heh! You wouldn't say that if it was your auction that had run for a
>>> week, you had a good (legitimate) bid leading and you *really*
>>> needed the money soon.... and some plonker bid $1M on it and you had
>>> to re-list. Wery inconwenient.

>>
>> Quite correct, I wouldn't
>> Still, they should have thought about idiots before going live ...
>> there are
>> so many ofthem

>
>True. I see one in my bathroom every time I go in there. Through this
>funny-looking window that shows everything backwards.


I've seen that one myself

Bruce

----------------------------------------
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good
people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and
only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett

Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
(if there were any)

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The World Trade Plaza - Free Trade Leads merwick.k Ruby 3 09-23-2008 08:21 PM
pix device manager ARGH!!!!! askmeforit@nunya.com Cisco 10 07-24-2007 07:26 PM
argh!!! more acl issues David Hodgson Cisco 2 08-16-2004 08:58 PM
ARGH! Images to and from SQL Server Jordan Bowness ASP .Net 3 02-17-2004 06:14 PM



Advertisments