Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Webcam for Linux

Webcam for Linux

Ray Greene

Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on Linux?

--
Ray Greene

E. Scrooge

"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:drf8sh$aoc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
> Linux?
>
> --
> Ray Greene

Everything runs on Linux according to the Linux experts.

E. Scrooge

Ray Greene

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 21:35:32 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
(*sling)> wrote:

>"Ray Greene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:drf8sh$aoc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
>> Linux?
>>
>> --
>> Ray Greene

>Everything runs on Linux according to the Linux experts.

Slow night tonight Scrooge?

--
Ray Greene

Peter

*sling wrote:

> Everything runs on Linux according to the Linux experts.

Which Linux expert said this? Linux people will be the first to concede
that not everything runs on Linux, especially as some hardware makers will
not part with the technical information needed to write drivers.

Unfortunately, because of strong arm tactics from Microsoft, these
manufacturers are not able to label their products as Linux compatible.

Peter

Ray Greene wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
> Linux?

maybe some info here?
http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware/

otherwise, ask vendors & retailers
If they know there is a demand from customers, they might start stocking
stuff.

HTH

Peter

Peter

Peter wrote:

> Ray Greene wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
>> Linux?

> maybe some info here?
> http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware/
>
> otherwise, ask vendors & retailers
> If they know there is a demand from customers, they might start stocking
> stuff.

But see my other comment. Once the Linux marketshare is up further,
hardware manufacturers will be able to start thumbing their noses at
Microsoft. People buying stuff for Linux unfortunately need to check out
how Linux compatible the item is likely to be. Unfortunately Microsoft
seems to have been leaning in computer suppliers not to include chipset
types in advertising to make it more difficult for prospective purchasers
to check out Linux compatibility (video chipsets are a particular
minefield).

By the way, when you see 'Dell recommends Microsoft Windows' in a NZ
advertisement, there is a backhander paid to Dell which in all probability
is not caught by the NZ tax system when it should be ('transfer pricing'
tax rules).

Ray Greene

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 07:01:50 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ray Greene wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
>> Linux?

>maybe some info here?
>http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware/

Good site, better than a lot of the hardware compatibility lists.
I like the look of the Logitech 4000 they recommend.

>otherwise, ask vendors & retailers
>If they know there is a demand from customers, they might start stocking
>stuff.

We live in hope

--
Ray Greene

Fred Dagg

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 08:39:23 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>Peter wrote:
>
>> Ray Greene wrote:
>>> Can anyone recommend a webcam (0.3 megapixel/640x480) that will run on
>>> Linux?

>> maybe some info here?
>> http://wwwnew.mandriva.com/en/hardware/
>>
>> otherwise, ask vendors & retailers
>> If they know there is a demand from customers, they might start stocking
>> stuff.
>>

>But see my other comment. Once the Linux marketshare is up further,
>hardware manufacturers will be able to start thumbing their noses at
>Microsoft. People buying stuff for Linux unfortunately need to check out
>how Linux compatible the item is likely to be. Unfortunately Microsoft
>seems to have been leaning in computer suppliers not to include chipset
>types in advertising to make it more difficult for prospective purchasers
>to check out Linux compatibility (video chipsets are a particular
>minefield).

It's all a big conspiracy!!

It's got nothing to do with the fact that 95% of people don't know
what a chipset is, and the marketers don't want to scare them off,
it's all about Microsoft having their hand in all the manufacturer's
advertising.

>By the way, when you see 'Dell recommends Microsoft Windows' in a NZ
>advertisement, there is a backhander paid to Dell which in all probability
>is not caught by the NZ tax system when it should be ('transfer pricing'
>tax rules).

It's hardly a backhand - it's a well documented marketing
subsidisation plan. In much the same way as the "Intel Inside" noise
and images in advertising.

Fred Dagg

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 22:54:16 +1300, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)>
exclaimed:

>*sling wrote:
>

>> Everything runs on Linux according to the Linux experts.
>>

>Which Linux expert said this? Linux people will be the first to concede
>that not everything runs on Linux, especially as some hardware makers will
>not part with the technical information needed to write drivers.
>
>Unfortunately, because of strong arm tactics from Microsoft, these
>manufacturers are not able to label their products as Linux compatible.

LOL!!! Thanks for the laughs...

Peter

Fred Dagg wrote:

>>By the way, when you see 'Dell recommends Microsoft Windows' in a NZ
>>advertisement, there is a backhander paid to Dell which in all probability
>>is not caught by the NZ tax system when it should be ('transfer pricing'
>>tax rules).

> It's hardly a backhand - it's a well documented marketing
> subsidisation plan. In much the same way as the "Intel Inside" noise
> and images in advertising.

It is a backhand to the extent that it limits the company receiving the
money from supporting competing products eg selling boxes loaded with
Linux.

Moreover you have not acknowledged the possible taxation implications of
such payments which very likely are not made from Microsoft (NZ) to Dell
(NZ). It is effectively a conditional discount on what Microsoft charges
Dell for software, but Dell may well seek a NZ tax deduction on the total
amount, and the amount of the discount may well be arranged to maximise the
profit taxed in Ireland or similar at low rates, so IRD in NZ is
effectively cheated out of the tax with respect to the discount - ie the
companies' profits are appearing in countries with lower tax rates.