Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Broadband on TelstraClear phone line

Broadband on TelstraClear phone line

Petrushka

Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
to a TelstraClear phone line?

And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)

It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
another year or so.

BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).

P.

Krazy Bob

"Petrushka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband to
> a TelstraClear phone line?
>
> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
>
> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
> another year or so.
>
> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).
>
> P.

you can get xtra broadband, without tolls

Petrushka

Krazy Bob wrote:
> "Petrushka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband to
>> a TelstraClear phone line?
>>
>> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
>> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
>>
>> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
>> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
>> another year or so.
>>
>> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).
>>
>> P.

> you can get xtra broadband, without tolls

That would be interesting, if ironic. Can you point me to some info on
this? The Xtra site says all the plans listed are "for customers who
have a Telecom home line and all of their direct dial calling with
Telecom", and the site doesn't recognise my phone number as existing.

It looks to me as though you may be thinking of xtra offering plans to
people even if they don't have all their direct dialing with Telecom -
but I think that still assumes they have a Telecom home line. (Which I
don't.) Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers

Krazy Bob

"Petrushka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Krazy Bob wrote:
>> "Petrushka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
>>> to a TelstraClear phone line?
>>>
>>> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
>>> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
>>>
>>> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
>>> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
>>> another year or so.
>>>
>>> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).
>>>
>>> P.

>> you can get xtra broadband, without tolls

> That would be interesting, if ironic. Can you point me to some info on
> this? The Xtra site says all the plans listed are "for customers who have
> a Telecom home line and all of their direct dial calling with Telecom",
> and the site doesn't recognise my phone number as existing.
>
> It looks to me as though you may be thinking of xtra offering plans to
> people even if they don't have all their direct dialing with Telecom - but
> I think that still assumes they have a Telecom home line. (Which I don't.)
> Please correct me if I'm wrong!
>
> Cheers

Sorry i stand corrected, its $10 more if you don't have your tolls with xtra
but have a telecom phone line. But since you don't you don't qualify for
this.

cheers

Philip Roy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Petrushka <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Krazy Bob wrote:
> > "Petrushka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband to
> >> a TelstraClear phone line?
> >>
> >> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
> >> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
> >>
> >> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
> >> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
> >> another year or so.
> >>
> >> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).
> >>
> >> P.

> > you can get xtra broadband, without tolls

> That would be interesting, if ironic. Can you point me to some info on
> this? The Xtra site says all the plans listed are "for customers who
> have a Telecom home line and all of their direct dial calling with
> Telecom", and the site doesn't recognise my phone number as existing.
>
> It looks to me as though you may be thinking of xtra offering plans to
> people even if they don't have all their direct dialing with Telecom -
> but I think that still assumes they have a Telecom home line. (Which I
> don't.) Please correct me if I'm wrong!
>
> Cheers

I had my phone line with Telstra and broadband with Paradise until
recently. I wanted to move away from Paradise (it took 6 weeks for them
to resolve an issue for me and their support system "closed" my job
every 24 hours....their response? It made the stats to their managers
look good...oh, and their email disaster too) and had no option but to
take my line rental back to Telecom, which I wasn't happy about.

So no, I don't believe you can do it...have Telstra and any ISP other
than Clear/Paradise.

Phil
--
NZMac.com - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community
http://www.nzmac.com

alastair.geek.nz

Petrushka wrote:

> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
> to a TelstraClear phone line?

<snip>
> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).

Have you checked to see if you can get Gasp (www.gasp.co.nz)? Depending
on exactly whereabouts you are in Ngaio, you might just fall within
their coverage. The rest of your neck of the woods looks like it will
be covered 'soon'.

-=rjh=-

Petrushka wrote:
> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
> to a TelstraClear phone line?
>
> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
>
> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
> another year or so.
>
> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).

No, but NZWireless/Gasp http://nzwireless.co.nz http://gasp.co.nz are
might be available in that area (depending on where you are you may
already have coverage), or may be coming soon.

http://www.gasp.co.nz/Site/Where/Wellington.aspx

Petrushka

Philip Roy wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Petrushka <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Krazy Bob wrote:
>>> "Petrushka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> you can get xtra broadband, without tolls

>> That would be interesting, if ironic. Can you point me to some info on
>> this? The Xtra site says all the plans listed are "for customers who
>> have a Telecom home line and all of their direct dial calling with
>> Telecom", and the site doesn't recognise my phone number as existing.
>>
>> It looks to me as though you may be thinking of xtra offering plans to
>> people even if they don't have all their direct dialing with Telecom -
>> but I think that still assumes they have a Telecom home line. (Which I
>> don't.) Please correct me if I'm wrong!
>>
>> Cheers

> I had my phone line with Telstra and broadband with Paradise until
> recently. I wanted to move away from Paradise (it took 6 weeks for them
> to resolve an issue for me and their support system "closed" my job
> every 24 hours....their response? It made the stats to their managers
> look good...oh, and their email disaster too) and had no option but to
> take my line rental back to Telecom, which I wasn't happy about.
>
> So no, I don't believe you can do it...have Telstra and any ISP other
> than Clear/Paradise.
>
> Phil

Interesting. Thanks for that, and also to alastair.geek.nz. Not sure if
Gasp is right for me, but it's certainly worth knowing about -- the more
forms of access that are available the better, after all. I'll check it out
anyway, though it looks like I'm _exactly_ on the edge of their coverage ...

cheers
P.

DB

"-=rjh=-" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43daba39$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Petrushka wrote:
>> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband to
>> a TelstraClear phone line?
>>
>> And in the case of the ones that don't, why the hell don't *any* of them
>> mention this on their websites? (except, ironically, Xtra.)
>>
>> It'd be nice to have some choice. But I have to move to Telecom to get
>> some choice, then I'm not sure I want to switch away from dial-up for
>> another year or so.
>>
>> BTW Woosh not available in my area (Ngaio, Wellington).

> No, but NZWireless/Gasp http://nzwireless.co.nz http://gasp.co.nz are
> might be available in that area (depending on where you are you may
> already have coverage), or may be coming soon.
>
> http://www.gasp.co.nz/Site/Where/Wellington.aspx

They call 256Kbps fast? They are as bad as telecom.

Peter

Petrushka wrote:

> Do *any* ISPs in New Zealand other than Paradise/Clear offer broadband
> to a TelstraClear phone line?

What sort of phone line? TelstraClear's Saturn phone lines in Wellington do
not have DSL 'heads' AFAIK as TelstraClear delivers broadband via the
associated cable TV network and AFAIK this is with Paradise only. This
would be on the basis that there is competition available from Telecom.