Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How reliable is UBS and/or Orcon?

How reliable is UBS and/or Orcon?

Steve

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:21:05 +1300, Shane wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:16:27 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:
>
>> They stop most of the spam, too.

I thought xtra was the one we were unbundling from? Have I got that wrong?
>> your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity
>> suite i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam
>> emails comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that
>> because im not paying them for there secruity suite im getting more
>> spam now

> Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day
> to 25-35(average)
> Spam is on the increase across the board

No, spam's on a decrease. Now that some of the botnets that send spam have
been dismantled, the focus of spam is now much more concentrated - going
after a particular company, or scam.

Steve

-=rjh=-

Steve wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:21:05 +1300, Shane wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:16:27 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:
>>
>>> They stop most of the spam, too.

> I thought xtra was the one we were unbundling from? Have I got that wrong?
>>> your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity
>>> suite i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam
>>> emails comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that
>>> because im not paying them for there secruity suite im getting more
>>> spam now

>> Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day
>> to 25-35(average)
>> Spam is on the increase across the board

> No, spam's on a decrease. Now that some of the botnets that send spam have
> been dismantled, the focus of spam is now much more concentrated - going
> after a particular company, or scam.
>
> Steve

I agree that spam (not technically the correct name, but everyone uses
it) is decreasing, both through my webmail accounts and through Orcon,
but this might be because others are doing the filtering before I do.

In fact, the decrease is significant, I'm down to maybe one a day, from
10 or so. Most of the ones I see at mail.com are phishing.

bambam

"Krazy Bob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:M4wCf.36807$(E-Mail Removed):

>> I've got xtra and find it very good. The plan I'm on covers every
>> time except between 5 and 11 at night, when we are watching TV etc
>> anyway. It is usually very reliable.

> They stop most of the spam, too.
> your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity
> suite i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam
> emails comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that
> because im not paying them for there secruity suite im getting more
> spam now

I have had an Xtra email address for about a year, never had any spam. I
also have addresses with Orcon and Myrealbox, no spam. Hotmail, now that is
another story, but it is my junk account.

Shane

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:19:14 +1300, Steve wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:21:05 +1300, Shane wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:16:27 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:
>>
>>> They stop most of the spam, too.

> I thought xtra was the one we were unbundling from? Have I got that wrong?
>>> your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity
>>> suite i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam
>>> emails comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that
>>> because im not paying them for there secruity suite im getting more
>>> spam now

>> Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day
>> to 25-35(average)
>> Spam is on the increase across the board

> No, spam's on a decrease. Now that some of the botnets that send spam have
> been dismantled, the focus of spam is now much more concentrated - going
> after a particular company, or scam.
>
> Steve

er.. youre ruining perfectly good pr reasons for ISPs cocking up

--
Dan: What a beautiful day - the kind of day that starts with a hearty breakfast
and ends with a newsreader saying, "... before turning the gun on himself."

~misfit~

Collector»NZ wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days
>> so far. Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the
>> month before. I never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon
>> at first. UBS is getting worse, in the last six months it's gone
>> from being connected for an average of for 6 days at a stretch to
>> around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly linear too over the
>> months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play on-line games
>> and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
>> usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to
>> play most every night, currently I haven't played for three days
>> after the previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at
>> *exactly* the wrong times causing me to get majorly ****ed-off. Thoughts?
>>
>> Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move
>> in the next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they
>> getting drop-outs? Is now a good time to move or are prices going to
>> drop?
>>
>> Heh!
>>
>> Cheers,

> Well Misfit I will give you the same as I gave steve, what are you
> doing to have all this crap with orcon, please tell me I am missing
> out

I wish I knew, I didn't have these problems with Jetstream.

> My log shows from the 23rd only 4 sessions and that is because I
> disconnected 3 of them for reasons of my own.

Ok, maybe it's a Telecom thing that is localised. I'm in Pukekohe, perhaps
it's just here?

> My speed is good,
> though I have had the odd slow session maybe 1 in 10 torrents runs
> slow but that is probably the remote ends fault.

My torrents run fast now and then, not often though. (Even with hundreds of
sources)

> Everyone complains about Orcons performance yet I do not experiance
> it and I have no fancy magic setup or equipment.

It would seem that you are the exception then. Maybe the question should be
what are you doing?
--
~misfit~

Craig Whitmore

> I agree that spam (not technically the correct name, but everyone uses it)
> is decreasing, both through my webmail accounts and through Orcon, but
> this might be because others are doing the filtering before I do.
>
> In fact, the decrease is significant, I'm down to maybe one a day, from 10
> or so. Most of the ones I see at mail.com are phishing.

The amount of total spam trying to come into an ISP has increased yes, but
antispam measures have got a lot better in the last couple of years (and
getting very low false positives in blocking proper emails.

DKIM,SPF,SRS,Reputation Systems,RBL's, SURLS,Callback Systems,Checking for
Valid Headers (Messages have to have Dates and Message-ID's,Invalid HELO's
etc + lots more. Thats even before it has got into any type of antispam
systems such as SpamAssassin which can give ~95% accurancy (1 in 200 wrongly
classified)(From tests I've done in the past) or things like
DSPAM/Death2Spam which can give 99.99+ (1 in 10000 wrongly classiied)
accuracy in identifying spam.

NZ doesn't have any AntiSpam laws at the moment, but we (NZ) are quite good
in getting ride of spammers which try and host inside NZ.

For example see http://www.spam.co.nz/111105-spammer.html.

These people spammed people and kept doing it. They got kicked off 4-5 ISP's
in NZ and then moved to overseas. I got them kicked off 1 hosting company in
the States so they moved to another. I got quite a few of their domains
canceled due to having very false owner details on them (False
numbers/Addresses/Names etc). Spammers even set up their own "hosting
companies" to try and confuse people (See email near bottom of page which is
replied from the spammers themselves)
Also they will set up seemingly legitimate websites to get people's email
addresses to spam to (See end of webpage)
Complaining to spammers as well is interesting.. after I complained to
nzpostoffice.co.nz suddenly alot of my spamtrap email addresses stopped
getting the spam (but still more of them do)

BTW: If anyone else is getting spam from these people still (and NEVER
signed up for it), please email me with details.

Thanks
Craig
http://www.spam.co.nz

PS: If it seems I have a personal grudge againt this spammer.. I do

~misfit~

Stephen Worthington wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:22:08 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days
>> so far. Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the
>> month before. I never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon
>> at first. UBS is getting worse, in the last six months it's gone
>> from being connected for an average of for 6 days at a stretch to
>> around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly linear too over the
>> months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play on-line games
>> and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
>> usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to
>> play most every night, currently I haven't played for three days
>> after the previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at
>> *exactly* the wrong times causing me to get majorly ****ed-off.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move
>> in the next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they
>> getting drop-outs?
>>
>> Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?
>>
>> Heh!
>>
>> Cheers,

> I am on Ihug in Palmerston North, and yes, there are occasional
> disconnections, but not that often. I am reasonably pleased with
> their service so far, after two months.
>
> What sort of disconnections are you getting? Does your ADSL modem
> tell you? If they are at the ADSL level, then changing ISPs will not
> help at all, since the problem is in the physical connection between
> your modem and the exchange. If they are at the ATM or particularly
> the PPP level, they may be the ISP's problem, but they could equally
> well be caused by a Telecom box, in which case changing ISPs is also
> quite likely not to fix things. If your modem has logging options,
> turn on all the relevant ones and see if you can work out what sort of
> fault it is, and also call Orcon and get them to tell you what their
> logs say about your disconnections.

I've just looked in the router log, it tells me the problems are "PPP link
down (PPPoA_1) [My IP here]". Then I get several "PPP PAP Authenticate
Request sent" every minute or so, sometimes with a "PPP PAP authentication
failed (PPPoA_1)" after it until "PPP PAP Authenticate Ack received" and
then "PPP link up (PPPoA_1) [My IP here]".

> I had a disconnection last night at 01:28, and Ihug told me it was a
> "port error", which I interpret as the ADSL card at the DSLAM in the
> exchange reporting a disconnection. Unfortunately, they don't seem to
> have any more detail than that. Whenever I have this sort of
> disconnection, my Cisco 827 ADSL router does not see any problem for
> about 20-30 minutes. The ADSL and ATM connections are unaffected, and
> the Cisco thinks the PPP connection is still up too, but no data gets
> through, either in or out.

My Alcatel SpeedTouch 510 knows as soon as the PPP conection fails and goes
into reconnect mode. It keeps trying until it gets a reconnect. Often these
disconnects are only for a few minutes, maybe 10 or 15, sometimes longer.
Most, as in 98%, of the outages are between 1am and 4am. That fact alone
leads me to believe that the poroblem is with OrCON/Telecon. Outages at a
time that is least likely to be noticed. For whatever reason.

> If I am using my PC at the time the problem occurs and I manually
> disconnect and reconnect at the PPP level only, then I immediately get
> back online again. Since the modem does not have to train,
> reconnection takes less than a second. I am still working on just
> what is going on, but my best guess at the moment is that the problem
> is Telecoms's - certainly a "port error" is all in their part of the
> network.
>
> Does this sound like what is happening to you? Where traffic simply
> stops and you can not ping anything outside your modem? And it takes
> ages to reconnect unless you do it manually?

See above. If my connection dies I just look at the router. If all three
LEDs aren't green (The last one is orange) I know the PPP is down. Every so
often it flashes orange-green-orange as it tries to reconnect. I just wait
until it stays green, that's when the PPP is back up. Or I swear and go and
read a book. I don't have to touch the router, it hasn't been re-booted for
a couple months now. (System uptime 52 days 15:19:30 currently, that was
when there was a power outage).

Going by what you said about PPP etc. above would it seem that the problem
is definitely OrCON/Telecon?
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

EMB wrote:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>>
>> Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move
>> in the next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they
>> getting drop-outs?

> 3 or 4 times a month with ihug.

That's acceptable. Certainly better than daily. Mind you, after being an
OrCON customer I guess most Ethiopian ISPs would look good in comparison.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Steve wrote:

>> I thought xtra was the one we were unbundling from? Have I got that
>> wrong?
>>> Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a
>>> day to 25-35(average)
>>> Spam is on the increase across the board

>> No, spam's on a decrease. Now that some of the botnets that send
>> spam have been dismantled, the focus of spam is now much more
>> concentrated - going after a particular company, or scam.
>>
>> Steve
>>

> I agree that spam (not technically the correct name, but everyone uses
> it) is decreasing, both through my webmail accounts and through Orcon,
> but this might be because others are doing the filtering before I do.
>
> In fact, the decrease is significant, I'm down to maybe one a day,
> from 10 or so. Most of the ones I see at mail.com are phishing.

I currently get about the same as I always have for the last year or so.
--
~misfit~

EMB

Shane wrote:

> Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day to
> 25-35(average)
> Spam is on the increase across the board

You're doing ok - the mailserver I run for a couple of my clients is
seeing ~200 spams every hour.

--
EMB

anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM
UBS back on track EMB NZ Computing 17 08-29-2004 04:24 AM
UBS 1 or 2? Bozo Computer Support 5 08-21-2004 11:48 PM
UBS news. Dave - Dave.net.nz NZ Computing 13 08-20-2004 03:22 AM

Advertisments