Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How reliable is UBS and/or Orcon?

How reliable is UBS and/or Orcon?

-=rjh=-

Craig Sutton wrote:
> Have a read of this
>
> http://torrentfreak.com/encrypting-b...affic-shapers/

I wondered how long it would take for someone to post this link.

Read what Bram Cohen has to say about the issue before trying anything
(basically, it is wrong to do this for many reasons); and if it does
make a difference, be sure to let us know

Reading around on the topic is quite interesting, and what do you know -
some ISPs do cache torrents.

~misfit~

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Craig Sutton wrote:
>> Have a read of this
>>
>> http://torrentfreak.com/encrypting-b...affic-shapers/
>>

> I wondered how long it would take for someone to post this link.
>
> Read what Bram Cohen has to say about the issue before trying anything
> (basically, it is wrong to do this for many reasons); and if it does
> make a difference, be sure to let us know
>
> Reading around on the topic is quite interesting, and what do you
> know - some ISPs do cache torrents.

I'd say Orcon don't. Going by speeds anyway. Even popular torrents are slow.
The've also slowed considerably (for me) in the last few days.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Craig Sutton wrote:
> Have a read of this
>
> http://torrentfreak.com/encrypting-b...affic-shapers/

Thanks for that Craig, I've read it and may try to find the Azurus beta.
However, I'm hoping to be changed over to Actrix any day now and I'm told
they don't shape to any large extent, if at all.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

Craig Shore wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 01:48:32 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Craig Shore wrote:
>>> On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 11:27:03 +1300, "~misfit~"
>>>
>>> I still think what you're saying is total crap.

>> You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how illiterately you
>> express it.

> Whatever. Are you going to pick fault with my spelling next? I'll
> openly admit i'm not too flash at english.

No, that would be lame. It's just that, whenever I see the expression "crap"
in here if puts me in mind of someone who is having to borrow their debating
skills from Roger. Also, someone who can't be bothered holding <shift> when
they write the personal pronoun strikes me as someone with little respect
for the language and, by extrapolation, clarity of communication.

>>> You're generalising
>>> saying all NZ businesses give shitty service.

>> Am I generalising or am I saying all NZ businesses give shitty
>> service?

> I took it you were saying all NZ businesses give shitty service. Were
> you not?

No, I wasn't. I was saying most, as in; In general.

>>> I know this is false,

>> What is false? That I'm generalising? You don't debate very cogently.

> You knew what I was saying, stop trying to twist it around. It's
> false that all NZ businesses give shitty service.

And I don't mean to say or imply that *all* NZ businesses give shitty (sic)
service, just most.

>>> I know a lot of people that go to a hell of a lot of effort to make
>>> their customers happy.

>> Lots and lots huh?

> Yes
>
>> What I'm saying is that, on average, NZ has a lot poorer customer
>> service than most of the deveoped world. Your experience may be
>> different but I've seen government funded research in the past that
>> came to the same conclusions that I have.
>>
>> I take it you have extensive personal experience dealing with retail
>> outlets in many other deveoped countries (or other data) on which to
>> base your assertion that what I'm saying is "total crap"?

> I've only shopped NZ and Australia. I would rate the service at most
> places i've shopped at in NZ and Oz as good. I don't know how they
> could make it any better for me. Competition is strong here, most
> businesses want you back, and go to a lot of effort to make sure you
> are happy.
>
> What part of the service is it that is poorer here in NZ than most of
> the developed world in the reports you've read? Aside from Orcon,
> what are all the other places you are shopping at doing wrong?

For a start, most places have undertrained staff who know little, if
anything, about the products they are selling. Many's the time I've rudely
butted in on some clueless "salesman's" crap in a shop and explained a
certain feature or device's abilities to a customer. Invariably both the
customer and the salesman end up pleased, the customer because he's better
informed and the slesman because I usually make a sale for him. And I'm no
home electronics expert, I just research what's needed before I buy a
product and retain the info. It seems that this little knowledge dwarfs that
of most full-time home electronics salesmen.

I can't stand the way they talk around **** they don't know and just push
the few features they do know. I was in the market for some high-end VCRs
several years ago and went around shops and asked to speak to their "VCR
salesman", waiting where needed, and, in discusion of product, I casually
asked them what NICAM does and means. None of them could explain it properly
yet alone knew that it stood for "Near-Instantaneous Companded Audio
Multiplex". *That's* what I'm talking about. In NZ you're considered a good
salesman if you read the side of the box the product you're trying to sell
came in. In fact, I've contradicted salesmen by pointing to the writing on
the box under the displayed product.

And that's just one facet of it. Another is evidenced by Orcon's helldesk.
Also, Aussie isn't *that* much better than NZ when it comes to customer
service. You go to some other developed countries such as the US, the UK or
Europe and the average age of the staff is usually a lot older. In NZ the
trend is to pick fresh-out-of-school minimum-wage fodder and not train them
too much as they drop-out rate is high. They treat it as a stepping-stone to
a 'real' job where they get paid enough to save money, not just live.
Consequently any halway informed customer is going to know more about the
products than the staff. Also, even in positions where product knowledge
isn't so important, people skills are. School-leavers aren't well-known for
people skills (generally). The general NZ trend of seeing working in retail
as a lowly job and it paying poor wages prepetuates the shoddy service that
we get *in general*. Of course there are better examples, exceptions, often
where it's the owner who is also the salesperson, or where the owner
realises that good staff are worth having and can't often be had for minimum
wage.

Until working retail becomes more of a career chioce (as it is in some other
countries) rather than something to do while looking for a "better" career
or something people who can't get a "better" job are forced into, the
situation won't change. As long as companies in NZ are predominantly paying
minimum wage it won't change. In most other countries floor-staff get some,
or more of, a commision on what they sell. That isn't as common in NZ so the
staff don't have the motivation to spend some evenings studying magazines /
product brochures / internet sites learning their trade. As the staff
turnover is high most staff don't get sent to Kiwihost courses or similar.

The one 'indusrty' that does tend to buck this trend a little is the tourist
industry. That's because they know they have to raise their game to be on an
even footing with what most tourists are used to at home.

(I've just spoken to Vitaliy and he agrees with me and says that the
difference is most noticable in returants. However we put that down to the
fact that he's used to US restuarants where service is income for the staff
due to the system of tipping).

I could go on but I think you're disinclined to see my point going by your
previous responses so I won't. Suffice it to say that I have / had friends
who travel extensively (I have a Ukrainian friend who lives in New York
staying here right now) and I myself have been to quite a few more countries
than you and, to us, the trend is quite obvious. I guess it's hard to be
objective if you can't or haven't removed yourself from the situation much.
--
~misfit~

~misfit~

~misfit~ wrote:
> Craig Sutton wrote:
>> Have a read of this
>>
>> http://torrentfreak.com/encrypting-b...affic-shapers/

> Thanks for that Craig, I've read it and may try to find the Azurus
> beta. However, I'm hoping to be changed over to Actrix any day now
> and I'm told they don't shape to any large extent, if at all.

Woot! Got an email from Actrix, Friday is the day apparently. I have to call
them Friday to get the account activated. Must make sure I get close to a
breakpoint with Orcon without going over it by then.
--
~misfit~

anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM
UBS back on track EMB NZ Computing 17 08-29-2004 04:24 AM
UBS 1 or 2? Bozo Computer Support 5 08-21-2004 11:48 PM
UBS news. Dave - Dave.net.nz NZ Computing 13 08-20-2004 03:22 AM

Advertisments