Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > How reliable is UBS and/or Orcon?

Reply
Thread Tools

How reliable is UBS and/or Orcon?

 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days so far.
Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the month before. I
never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon at first. UBS is getting
worse, in the last six months it's gone from being connected for an average
of for 6 days at a stretch to around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly
linear too over the months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play
on-line games and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to play
most every night, currently I haven't played for three days after the
previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at *exactly* the wrong times
causing me to get majorly ****ed-off.

Thoughts?

Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in the
next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting drop-outs?

Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?

Heh!

Cheers,
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fred Dagg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:22:08 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:

>I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days so far.
>Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the month before. I
>never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon at first. UBS is getting
>worse, in the last six months it's gone from being connected for an average
>of for 6 days at a stretch to around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly
>linear too over the months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play
>on-line games and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
>usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to play
>most every night, currently I haven't played for three days after the
>previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at *exactly* the wrong times
>causing me to get majorly ****ed-off.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in the
>next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting drop-outs?
>
>Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?


Bear with me!!

My Ihug connection's connected next week, and I'll give you the
rundown. Taking a wee while to get connected, however that's telecom's
fault, and Ihug have given me free dialup in the meantime (and I've
got good mates who download stuff for me in the interim).

Orcon's definately the worst I've experienced for a while. The
difference going from Xtra to Orcon was startlingly noticeable.

If you can hold off one more week I'll provide an full rundown on
Ihug's speed etc.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
Fred Dagg wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:22:08 +1300, "~misfit~"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> exclaimed:
>
>> I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days
>> so far. Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the
>> month before. I never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon
>> at first. UBS is getting worse, in the last six months it's gone
>> from being connected for an average of for 6 days at a stretch to
>> around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly linear too over the
>> months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play on-line games
>> and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
>> usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to
>> play most every night, currently I haven't played for three days
>> after the previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at
>> *exactly* the wrong times causing me to get majorly ****ed-off.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move
>> in the next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they
>> getting drop-outs?
>>
>> Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?

>
> Bear with me!!
>
> My Ihug connection's connected next week, and I'll give you the
> rundown. Taking a wee while to get connected, however that's telecom's
> fault, and Ihug have given me free dialup in the meantime (and I've
> got good mates who download stuff for me in the interim).
>
> Orcon's definately the worst I've experienced for a while. The
> difference going from Xtra to Orcon was startlingly noticeable.
>
> If you can hold off one more week I'll provide an full rundown on
> Ihug's speed etc.


Ok, thanks. I need to order the change by about the 5th of next month or so.
When I spoke with Actrix they said Telecom give a 14-day time frame and I
want to be sure to be changed over by the 23rd before I start another cycle
with OrCON. I don't want to pay two providors for too long but a bit of
overlap is better than no connection at all.

Cheers,
--
~misfit~


 
Reply With Quote
 
Stephen Worthington
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 00:22:08 +1300, "~misfit~"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days so far.
>Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the month before. I
>never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon at first. UBS is getting
>worse, in the last six months it's gone from being connected for an average
>of for 6 days at a stretch to around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly
>linear too over the months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play
>on-line games and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
>usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to play
>most every night, currently I haven't played for three days after the
>previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at *exactly* the wrong times
>causing me to get majorly ****ed-off.
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in the
>next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting drop-outs?
>
>Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?
>
>Heh!
>
>Cheers,


I am on Ihug in Palmerston North, and yes, there are occasional
disconnections, but not that often. I am reasonably pleased with
their service so far, after two months.

What sort of disconnections are you getting? Does your ADSL modem
tell you? If they are at the ADSL level, then changing ISPs will not
help at all, since the problem is in the physical connection between
your modem and the exchange. If they are at the ATM or particularly
the PPP level, they may be the ISP's problem, but they could equally
well be caused by a Telecom box, in which case changing ISPs is also
quite likely not to fix things. If your modem has logging options,
turn on all the relevant ones and see if you can work out what sort of
fault it is, and also call Orcon and get them to tell you what their
logs say about your disconnections.

I had a disconnection last night at 01:28, and Ihug told me it was a
"port error", which I interpret as the ADSL card at the DSLAM in the
exchange reporting a disconnection. Unfortunately, they don't seem to
have any more detail than that. Whenever I have this sort of
disconnection, my Cisco 827 ADSL router does not see any problem for
about 20-30 minutes. The ADSL and ATM connections are unaffected, and
the Cisco thinks the PPP connection is still up too, but no data gets
through, either in or out.

If I am using my PC at the time the problem occurs and I manually
disconnect and reconnect at the PPP level only, then I immediately get
back online again. Since the modem does not have to train,
reconnection takes less than a second. I am still working on just
what is going on, but my best guess at the moment is that the problem
is Telecoms's - certainly a "port error" is all in their part of the
network.

Does this sound like what is happening to you? Where traffic simply
stops and you can not ping anything outside your modem? And it takes
ages to reconnect unless you do it manually?
 
Reply With Quote
 
EMB
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
~misfit~ wrote:
>
> Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in the
> next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting drop-outs?


3 or 4 times a month with ihug.

--
EMB
 
Reply With Quote
 
geopelia
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006

"EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:drd8h6$moj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ~misfit~ wrote:
> >
> > Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in

the
> > next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting

drop-outs?
>
> 3 or 4 times a month with ihug.
>
> --
> EMB


I've got xtra and find it very good. The plan I'm on covers every time
except between 5 and 11 at night, when we are watching TV etc anyway.
It is usually very reliable. They stop most of the spam, too.

Geipelia


 
Reply With Quote
 
Collector»NZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
~misfit~ wrote:
> I have been disconnected 13 times in this billing period of 6 days so far.
> Last month I was dis/connected *50* times, over 30 times the month before. I
> never had this problem with Jetstream or with Orcon at first. UBS is getting
> worse, in the last six months it's gone from being connected for an average
> of for 6 days at a stretch to around 14 hours currently. It's been roughtly
> linear too over the months. It's getting to the stage where I can't play
> on-line games and enjoy them as the UBS keeps crapping out when I'm playing,
> usually midnite or just after. (Latency seems lower then). I used to play
> most every night, currently I haven't played for three days after the
> previous three sessions ended up in disconnects at *exactly* the wrong times
> causing me to get majorly ****ed-off.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in the
> next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting drop-outs?
>
> Is now a good time to move or are prices going to drop?
>
> Heh!
>
> Cheers,

Well Misfit I will give you the same as I gave steve, what are you doing to
have all this crap with orcon, please tell me I am missing out

My log shows from the 23rd only 4 sessions and that is because I disconnected 3
of them for reasons of my own. My speed is good, though I have had the odd slow
session maybe 1 in 10 torrents runs slow but that is probably the remote ends
fault.

Everyone complains about Orcons performance yet I do not experiance it and I
have no fancy magic setup or equipment.

--
>>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

================================================== ====================
| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
================================================== ====================
*Slow day Posts Blog*
Pictorial Amusement from the web at http://nzcollector.blogspot.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Krazy Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006

"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iwvCf.36746$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "EMB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:drd8h6$moj$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> >
>> > Is this happening with other ISPs? I'm seriously considering a move in

> the
>> > next week or two, probably Actrix, maybe Ihug. Are they getting

> drop-outs?
>>
>> 3 or 4 times a month with ihug.
>>
>> --
>> EMB

>
> I've got xtra and find it very good. The plan I'm on covers every time
> except between 5 and 11 at night, when we are watching TV etc anyway.
> It is usually very reliable.


They stop most of the spam, too.
your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity suite i
have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam emails comming
through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that because im not paying them
for there secruity suite im getting more spam now


 
Reply With Quote
 
Shane
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006
On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:16:27 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:

> They stop most of the spam, too.
> your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity suite
> i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam emails
> comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that because im not
> paying them for there secruity suite im getting more spam now


Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day to
25-35(average)
Spam is on the increase across the board



--
The good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
-- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

 
Reply With Quote
 
Krazy Bob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-27-2006

"Shane" <(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-a-geek.net...
> On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 10:16:27 +1300, Krazy Bob wrote:
>
>> They stop most of the spam, too.
>> your joking right? ever since the introduction of their new secruity
>> suite
>> i have an a 100% increase from 1 a day to around 5 or 6 spam emails
>> comming through. i find it alittle bit to convenient that because im not
>> paying them for there secruity suite im getting more spam now

>
> Try running your own mailserver, my spams gone up from 8-10(tops) a day to
> 25-35(average)
> Spam is on the increase across the board


Its a conspiracy theory I tell you

KB


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: How include a large array? Edward A. Falk C Programming 1 04-04-2013 08:07 PM
anyone can explain to me about UBS and non-UBS? AT NZ Computing 9 12-15-2004 01:46 AM
UBS back on track EMB NZ Computing 17 08-29-2004 04:24 AM
UBS 1 or 2? Bozo Computer Support 5 08-21-2004 11:48 PM
UBS news. Dave - Dave.net.nz NZ Computing 13 08-20-2004 03:22 AM



Advertisments