Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > NZ iPods expensive

NZ iPods expensive

news.xtra.co.nz

"Mutlley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "XPD" <(E-Mail Removed)....nz> wrote:
>

>>http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10365515
>>
>>NZ's iPods among most expensive
>>
>>27.01.06
>>By Peter Nowak
>>

>>New Zealanders are paying twice as much for their iPods on a comparative
>>level as Americans, yet are getting less mileage out of them.
>>

>>No shite sherlock..... show me something electronic in NZ that we dont get
>>ripped for :-p
>>

> The article in the Herald also showed the comparable earning power
> on NZers compared with other countries. Looks like NZ is going down
> the tubes as it is becoming a low wage high cost country to live in..
> Considering that we can't get i tunes here the i pod should heaps
> cheaper here..
>
> Any one heard the Hardly Normal adds recently for their big sale and
> the tag line at the end?? "Does not apply to Apple products." i.e.
> The supplier wants to screw you as much as possible..

It is not really going down the tubes. Having reviewed todays paper, there
are a lot of very high paying jobs around. But, unfortunately, mainly in the
legal/finance areas.

Legal aid lawers are complaining they are only getting $160.00 per hour.
They want $230/hour.

Now, where is the low wage economy?

news.xtra.co.nz

"Jake Collins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43d9cacf$(E-Mail Removed)...
> One would have thought so, however a Dell 3100 here
> http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...=nz&l=en&s=dhs
> is NZ$1298 delivered incl GST
> A Dell 3100 here
> http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd
> is about NZ$1073 (of course not able to buy it from here, but that is what
> an American pays).
> At present the NZ one comes with a free upgrade from 17" to 19" LCD for a
> limited time.
>
> --
> Jake Collins
> http://members.tripod.com/collinsj/
> "Dibley Fanshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> Roger Johnstone <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> We are paying more for iPods, but the "twice as much" the
>>> article goes on about is a load of crap. By their own figures we're only
>>> paying 20% more. It's like saying because one person has an income half
>>> that of another that a car costs twice as much. Pff.

>> That sort of comparison should always be referenced to the Big Mac
>> Index. The official exchange rate is a load of bollox compared to the
>> real prices.
>>
>> Having said that, I suspect we get Wintel boxes cheaper here in NZ than
>> they do in the US. Presumably our proximity to the factories in the Near
>> NorthWest and the direct contacts rather than down long & expensive
>> supply chains.
>>
>> --
>> Dibley

nz is generally just expensive. Economies of scale have everything to do
with this.

Edmund Good

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 09:00:16 +1300, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

>nz is generally just expensive. Economies of scale have everything to do
>with this.

And as far as the rest of the world is concerned, geographically
inconvenient. Singapore considers Europe closer than NZ.

Cheers

Edmund

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 20:25:03 +1300, "Jake Collins"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>One would have thought so, however a Dell 3100 here
>http://www1.ap.dell.com/content/prod...=nz&l=en&s=dhs
>is NZ$1298 delivered incl GST
>A Dell 3100 here
>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd
>is about NZ$1073 (of course not able to buy it from here, but that is what
>an American pays).
>At present the NZ one comes with a free upgrade from 17" to 19" LCD for a
>limited time.

Did you factor in GST to the US price? If not, then by the time you
add it back in you're not far off the NZ price.

Remember - Dell don't get to keep any of the GST which is passed
straight back to the Government so its a bit harsh blaming Dell for
the price differential when its not their fault.

MarkH

Jason Fanning <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:drcq2j$59h$(E-Mail Removed):

> XPD wrote:
>> http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/st...ectID=10365515
>>
>> NZ's iPods among most expensive
>>
>> 27.01.06
>> By Peter Nowak
>>

>> New Zealanders are paying twice as much for their iPods on a
>> comparative level as Americans, yet are getting less mileage out of
>> them.
>>

>> No shite sherlock..... show me something electronic in NZ that we
>> dont get ripped for :-p
>>

> Apple products are more expensive outside the USA, the 60GB iPod is
> US$399 in the US, US$548 in Europe, and US$477 in NZ

$400 + GST would be $450. To me $477 seems pretty reasonable compared to
$400 in the US.

In the nzherald article they talk about an iPod that costs $313 in the US
and US$359 here in NZ. That means that it costs US$319+GST here and US$313
in the states. Is this really proof that we are being ripped off?

To me the issue of the average income in NZ being lower is a separate one
from the price of consumer electronics here.

To buy the same iPod from the US you can find it for $299 and pay
airfreight of $37, then convert that US$336 to around NZ$480. If you end
up paying GST then it is dearer than buying one locally.

--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
Maskerade

Dibley Fanshaw

In article <TXuCf.35524$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"news.xtra.co.nz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It is not really going down the tubes. Having reviewed todays paper, there
> are a lot of very high paying jobs around. But, unfortunately, mainly in the
> legal/finance areas.
>
> Legal aid lawers are complaining they are only getting $160.00 per hour.
> They want $230/hour.
>
> Now, where is the low wage economy?

Lawyers are not competing with government subsidised factories in China.

--
Dibley