Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Image gallery programs

Image gallery programs

Andrew

Hey guys

Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
gallerys for on the web

Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
(http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)

It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect

Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it wasnt

The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
webserver

I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name..
time the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have
found that when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the gallery,
as in its not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows to
accomodate the fact that ive used more space - it does the same with
photos that are portrait too

Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet

After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program, Rather
then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you guys and
try the suggestions as tried and tested software is always better

XPD

news:41ZBf.21523$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey guys
>
> Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
> gallerys for on the web
>
> Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
> (http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)
>
> It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect
>
> Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it
> wasnt
>
> The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
> automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
> feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
> webserver
>
> I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name.. time
> the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have found that
> when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the gallery, as in its
> not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows to accomodate the fact
> that ive used more space - it does the same with photos that are portrait
> too
>
> Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet
>
> After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program, Rather
> then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you guys and try
> the suggestions as tried and tested software is always better

www.ornj.net
Web Album Generator

Ive been using it for ages now and been happy with it.

Craig Shore

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 18:23:12 +1300, Andrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hey guys
>
>Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
>gallerys for on the web
>
>Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
>(http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)
>
>It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect
>
>Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it wasnt
>
>The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
>automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
>feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
>webserver
>
>I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name..
>time the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have
>found that when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the gallery,
>as in its not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows to
>accomodate the fact that ive used more space - it does the same with
>photos that are portrait too
>
>Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet
>
>After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program, Rather
>then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you guys and
>try the suggestions as tried and tested software is always better

Google's Picasa 2 is one of the best i've seen, and it's free.

Crains

Andrew wrote:
> Hey guys
>
> Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
> gallerys for on the web
>
> Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
> (http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)
>
> It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect
>
> Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it
> wasnt
> The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
> automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
> feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
> webserver
>
> I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name..
> time the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have
> found that when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the
> gallery, as in its not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows
> to accomodate the fact that ive used more space - it does the same with
> photos that are portrait too
>
> Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet
>
> After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program,
> Rather then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you
> guys and try the suggestions as tried and tested software is always better

Have you got PHP MySQL on your server? if you do the best by far is
Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php)

Andrew

Crains wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>> Hey guys
>>
>> Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
>> gallerys for on the web
>>
>> Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
>> (http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)
>>
>> It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect
>>
>> Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it
>> wasnt
>> The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
>> automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
>> feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
>> webserver
>>
>> I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name..
>> time the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have
>> found that when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the
>> gallery, as in its not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows
>> to accomodate the fact that ive used more space - it does the same with
>> photos that are portrait too
>>
>> Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet
>>
>> After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program,
>> Rather then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you
>> guys and try the suggestions as tried and tested software is always better
>>

> Have you got PHP MySQL on your server? if you do the best by far is
> Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php)

THanks, But there is no php or sql running, Just basic html webserver

I want the gallery program to produce all the html pages - saved into a
specific folder which is linked to the webserver

-=rjh=-

Andrew wrote:
> Crains wrote:
>> Andrew wrote:
>>> Hey guys
>>>
>>> Im looking for opinions on alternative software for creating photo
>>> gallerys for on the web
>>>
>>> Currently ive been using a program called jalbum
>>> (http://jalbum.net/index.jsp)
>>>
>>> It works and its easy to use.. However its not perfect
>>>
>>> Its java based.. not that thats a problem, But it would be nice if it
>>> wasnt
>>> The program generates a webpage with thumbnails and gallerys. it can
>>> automatically ftp it to a webserver - im not really interested in that
>>> feature as my webserver is local.. the output is straight onto the
>>> webserver
>>>
>>> I have found a bug though, It has the option to include image name..
>>> time the photo was taken... comments for each image, However i have
>>> found that when i use all three of these it kinda screws up the
>>> gallery, as in its not smart enough to widen the gap between the rows
>>> to accomodate the fact that ive used more space - it does the same with
>>> photos that are portrait too
>>>
>>> Im sure there are options to change this, I just havnt found them yet
>>>
>>> After i noticed this i thought.. there must be a better program,
>>> Rather then try them all one by one i thought i would listen to you
>>> guys and try the suggestions as tried and tested software is always
>>> better

>> Have you got PHP MySQL on your server? if you do the best by far is
>> Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php)
>>

> THanks, But there is no php or sql running, Just basic html webserver
>
> I want the gallery program to produce all the html pages - saved into a
> specific folder which is linked to the webserver

Gallery Constructor 2.0, I'm sure I've tried just about every gallery
builder available (about a year ago) and Gallery Constructor was best by
miles - good workflow (lots of plugins), lots of templates, no need for
PHP or MySQL, only static hosting - in fact, gallery will even run from
a CDROM.

Java, but runs well. Free.

http://www.through-the-lens.net/

Part of my own gallery (not demonstrating what GC is capable of, though)

http://hindesite.orcon.net.nz/photog...vel/index.html

HTH

JC

-=rjh=- wrote:
> Andrew wrote:
>
>> Crains wrote:

>>> Have you got PHP MySQL on your server? if you do the best by far is
>>> Coppermine (http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php)
>>>

>> THanks, But there is no php or sql running, Just basic html webserver
>>
>> I want the gallery program to produce all the html pages - saved into
>> a specific folder which is linked to the webserver

> Gallery Constructor 2.0, I'm sure I've tried just about every gallery
> builder available (about a year ago) and Gallery Constructor was best by
> miles - good workflow (lots of plugins), lots of templates, no need for
> PHP or MySQL, only static hosting - in fact, gallery will even run from
> a CDROM.
>
> Java, but runs well. Free.
>
> http://www.through-the-lens.net/
>
> Part of my own gallery (not demonstrating what GC is capable of, though)
>
> http://hindesite.orcon.net.nz/photog...vel/index.html
>
> HTH

Where abouts is the shed in your gallery?
http://hindesite.orcon.net.nz/photog...3-tweaked.html

-=rjh=-

JC wrote:
> -=rjh=- wrote:
>> Andrew wrote:

>>> THanks, But there is no php or sql running, Just basic html webserver
>>>
>>> I want the gallery program to produce all the html pages - saved into
>>> a specific folder which is linked to the webserver

>> Gallery Constructor 2.0, I'm sure I've tried just about every gallery
>> builder available (about a year ago) and Gallery Constructor was best
>> by miles - good workflow (lots of plugins), lots of templates, no need
>> for PHP or MySQL, only static hosting - in fact, gallery will even run
>> from a CDROM.
>>
>> Java, but runs well. Free.
>>
>> http://www.through-the-lens.net/
>>
>> Part of my own gallery (not demonstrating what GC is capable of, though)
>>
>> http://hindesite.orcon.net.nz/photog...vel/index.html
>>
>> HTH

> Where abouts is the shed in your gallery?
> http://hindesite.orcon.net.nz/photog...3-tweaked.html

Was - it was taken some time ago, it may have fallen down now Not
sure, but I think Dunedin or nearby, but possibly Catlins.