Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Am I doing something wrong or are iBooks pieces of ****?

Am I doing something wrong or are iBooks pieces of ****?

I'm A Trampoline

I had one, it lasted three months, needed a new logic board, lasted
another three months, needed a new logic board, lasted another three
months, needed a new logic board so they gave me a new computer free. I
think I had two latch failures with this first one too.

It's free replacement lasted one and a half years before it needed a new
logic board. Because it wasn't under warranty, being uneconomical to fix
this was a computer down the drain.

The next one I purchased in October (my current) has a problem with the
power supply overheating, and one of the keys on the keyboard isn't
responding properly. The key goes on and off a state where it makes a
weird clicking sound. I've pulled it off, disassembled the white parts
and put them back together, but to no avail.

Are iBooks only designed for people who will baby their computers and
not spend a great deal of time using them? Would a Powerbook fare any
better, or is it me?

I'm definitely buying the three year Applecare plan before the warranty
on this one is up.

Bruce Hoult

In article <dr9d64$lhr$(E-Mail Removed)>,
I'm A Trampoline <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Are iBooks only designed for people who will baby their computers and
> not spend a great deal of time using them? Would a Powerbook fare any
> better, or is it me?

There was a survey published recently, comparing reliability of various
Apple laptop models. I seem to recall that some recent iBooks were
among the worst. Other models of iBook -- such as the original,
coloured, ones -- were among the very best.

When you say the logic board failed, what actually went wrong? I find
it hard to imagine that some electronic part failed that consistently,
while I think things such as the power cord being tripped over may
result in breaking the connector on the logic board.

Myself, I had a screen hinge break on my 266 MHz PowerBook about this
time last year, after a bit over seven years of use. Nothing else has
ever gone wrong with it. I've now replaced it with a used 17" 1 GHz
PowerBook. We'll see how this one goes. It's only been six weeks so
far.

> I'm definitely buying the three year Applecare plan before the warranty
> on this one is up.

That sounds as if it's probably worth it.

--
Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

I'm A Trampoline

Bruce Hoult wrote:
> In article <dr9d64$lhr$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I'm A Trampoline <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Are iBooks only designed for people who will baby their computers and
>>not spend a great deal of time using them? Would a Powerbook fare any
>>better, or is it me?

> There was a survey published recently, comparing reliability of various
> Apple laptop models. I seem to recall that some recent iBooks were
> among the worst. Other models of iBook -- such as the original,
> coloured, ones -- were among the very best.

My sister has one of the first white iBooks. The build quality is
visibly better than the iBooks I've gone though, both in materials and
construction, and it even looks better than the latest PowerBooks. That
big panel around the keyboard on her's is metal.

> When you say the logic board failed, what actually went wrong? I find
> it hard to imagine that some electronic part failed that consistently,
> while I think things such as the power cord being tripped over may
> result in breaking the connector on the logic board.

I don't know what was failing, but that was their standard repair for
it. I think something was causing that first computer to fry itself
because it got super hot before it crapped out each time.

My 2nd iBook (the one I had to replace instead of repair) also had a
weakened screen folding mechanism. The screen would actually fall on me
if I held it at the wrong angle. I assume that mechanism has a limited
life span and I simply opened and closed it too many times. I still have
that computer, I'm undecided if I want to try and sell it for parts, or
keep it for parts.

Bring back the clones. Apple needs some competition (among those that
refuse to using anything other that MacOS.)

wogers nemesis

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:46:41 +1300, I'm A Trampoline wrote:

> I had one, it lasted three months, needed a new logic board, lasted
> another three months, needed a new logic board, lasted another three
> months, needed a new logic board so they gave me a new computer free. I
> think I had two latch failures with this first one too.
>
> It's free replacement lasted one and a half years before it needed a new
> logic board. Because it wasn't under warranty, being uneconomical to fix
> this was a computer down the drain.
>
> The next one I purchased in October (my current) has a problem with the
> power supply overheating, and one of the keys on the keyboard isn't
> responding properly. The key goes on and off a state where it makes a
> weird clicking sound. I've pulled it off, disassembled the white parts
> and put them back together, but to no avail.
>
> Are iBooks only designed for people who will baby their computers and
> not spend a great deal of time using them? Would a Powerbook fare any
> better, or is it me?
>
> I'm definitely buying the three year Applecare plan before the warranty
> on this one is up.

Yes they seem bad - there was a free repair on the logic board for some
iBooks, but they didn't extend it far enough and I've seen failing ones
surface. Without Applecare they are just time bombs.

The powerbooks are far better and seem more rugged (cost more too though).
Overheating on laptops seems to cause these premature failures of logic
boards. If you are under Applecare it pays not to mess around, just send
it in to get it fixed (after all Applecare isn't that cheap). Warranty
repairers I've seen are only too happy to get their dollars from Apple for
replacing a part..

Watch out if you use the headphone jacks, they are crappy.

alastair.geek.nz

wogers nemesis wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:46:41 +1300, I'm A Trampoline wrote:

> > I had one, it lasted three months, needed a new logic board, lasted
> > another three months, needed a new logic board, lasted another three
> > months, needed a new logic board so they gave me a new computer free. I
> > think I had two latch failures with this first one too.

> Yes they seem bad - there was a free repair on the logic board for some
> iBooks, but they didn't extend it far enough and I've seen failing ones
> surface. Without Applecare they are just time bombs.

Logic board failures were a known to fail frequently on the G3 models.
I had mine replaced under Apple's repair extention program in the
middle of 2004 and it went fine until I eventually sold the machine
late last year, but I have heard stories about people having to replace
theirs many times.

>From what I understand, the G4 models are generally pretty reliable,

although some aspects of their construction make me feel that the
companies licensed to build them may have cut a few corners to try and
compete with the huge selection of cheap PC laptops that are now on the
market. Personally, I'm very happy with my G4 iBook, but I've only had
it for three months, so it'll be another couple of years before I can
say that it's given me good service.

> The powerbooks are far better and seem more rugged (cost more too though).

Yes, Powerbooks are a lot more expensive and their spec isn't all that
much better than the iBook, but they just generally feel as if they're
a much more refined machine.

> Watch out if you use the headphone jacks, they are crappy.

I found that the headphone jack on my G3 became looser over time, but
the jack on my G4 looks a lot more robust. I suspect it was a known
fault on earlier models which Apple have now dealt with.

I'm A Trampoline

wogers nemesis wrote:

> Yes they seem bad - there was a free repair on the logic board for some
> iBooks, but they didn't extend it far enough and I've seen failing ones
> surface. Without Applecare they are just time bombs.
>
> The powerbooks are far better and seem more rugged (cost more too though).
> Overheating on laptops seems to cause these premature failures of logic
> boards. If you are under Applecare it pays not to mess around, just send
> it in to get it fixed (after all Applecare isn't that cheap). Warranty
> repairers I've seen are only too happy to get their dollars from Apple for
> replacing a part..
>
> Watch out if you use the headphone jacks, they are crappy.

I made a big mistake not getting the Applecare plan with that first one
(the 9 month computer), as that would've convered me for more than 2
years on the free replacement. I thought too highly of Apple to think I
needed it (my iMac was built like a tank). $500 or whatever is nothing
compared to the price of a whole new iBook.

I feel better knowing there are common problems with them. I'm a bit
paraniod they're going to think I'm abusing the computers or something.
I do use them a a LOT, but they should be able to handle that.

wogers nemesis

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 15:46:41 +1300, I'm A Trampoline wrote:

> I had one, it lasted three months, needed a new logic board, lasted
> another three months, needed a new logic board, lasted another three
> months, needed a new logic board so they gave me a new computer free. I
> think I had two latch failures with this first one too.
>
> It's free replacement lasted one and a half years before it needed a new
> logic board. Because it wasn't under warranty, being uneconomical to fix
> this was a computer down the drain.
>
> The next one I purchased in October (my current) has a problem with the
> power supply overheating, and one of the keys on the keyboard isn't
> responding properly. The key goes on and off a state where it makes a
> weird clicking sound. I've pulled it off, disassembled the white parts
> and put them back together, but to no avail.
>
> Are iBooks only designed for people who will baby their computers and
> not spend a great deal of time using them? Would a Powerbook fare any
> better, or is it me?
>
> I'm definitely buying the three year Applecare plan before the warranty
> on this one is up.

Oh dear...........

http://powerbookdefect.info/

I'm A Trampoline

alastair.geek.nz wrote:

>>From what I understand, the G4 models are generally pretty reliable,

> although some aspects of their construction make me feel that the
> companies licensed to build them may have cut a few corners to try and
> compete with the huge selection of cheap PC laptops that are now on the
> market.

This has been my opinion for along time. From my sisters iBook, to the
three I've gone through, I've noticed a progressive decline in the
quality of materials used. I wish they hadn't ditched the transparent
keys, they looked cool.

>>Watch out if you use the headphone jacks, they are crappy.

> I found that the headphone jack on my G3 became looser over time, but
> the jack on my G4 looks a lot more robust. I suspect it was a known
> fault on earlier models which Apple have now dealt with.

The power jack design is criminal. I've snapped the pin off one by
bumping the plug sideways, I admit it was my fault and paid myself for
the repair (this has made me more anal about protecting my computer than
I would otherwise be), but if it had a right angled plug it would be
much less likely to happen. Some company makes a power supply with a
plug like this, but I don't think they stock it in NZ.

I'm A Trampoline

wogers nemesis wrote:

> Oh dear...........
>
> http://powerbookdefect.info/

Bring back the clones.

I get the magic shifting balance slider, that shoud've been fixed in an
OS update by now.

alastair.geek.nz

I'm A Trampoline wrote:

> wogers nemesis wrote:

> > Yes they seem bad - there was a free repair on the logic board for some
> > iBooks, but they didn't extend it far enough and I've seen failing ones
> > surface. Without Applecare they are just time bombs.

> I made a big mistake not getting the Applecare plan with that first one
> (the 9 month computer), as that would've convered me for more than 2
> years on the free replacement. I thought too highly of Apple to think I
> needed it (my iMac was built like a tank). $500 or whatever is nothing
> compared to the price of a whole new iBook.

I bought my machine from Noel Leeming and considered the three year
extended warranty at $300. I know that someone here will probably reply
to waffle on about how the consumer guarantees act would cover you
anyway, but I can't realistically afford to be without a computer while
battling the retailer through the disputes tribunal, not to mention the
time and effort involved.

In any case, I decided not to go ahead with the extended warranty
because, for the $300 cost to be justifiable, the chance of the iBook
failing during the course of my ownership (which I forecast to be three
years) would be over 15%. Despite some people such as yourself having
the odd problem with the G4 iBook, I honestly don't believe that the
probability of failure would be any higher than 10%, so the extended
warranty was just slightly too pricey for me. If it had been $250, I
probably would have taken it.

Re: iPad question re iBooks availability trueone NZ Computing 3 02-26-2011 10:56 AM
Either I'm doing something wrong or jaxb is crappola Mark XML 0 05-18-2004 11:54 PM
Doing something wrong Chiller C++ 1 04-12-2004 11:57 AM
recall on iBooks??? Russell Smithies NZ Computing 7 11-07-2003 05:26 AM
Re: Testing magnification. Am I doing something wrong? Mark M Digital Photography 14 08-20-2003 12:43 PM

Advertisments