Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > linux fc4 a quick look....

linux fc4 a quick look....

steve

Chris Hope wrote:

> Nova wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I am going to try Ubantu next as have heard that is a pretty well
>> packaged distro.

> One you might want to also try is Mepis. It's a Debian based distro on
> one cd that works as a live cd which you can choose to install if you
> want once you have it going. I've had a couple of customers try loads
> and loads of distros and for both of them Mepis turned out to be their
> favourite.

Mepis doesn't have the wirelss support I need to get up and
running.....whereas Ubuntu supported by cheapo DSE 802.11b $60 wireless
card right out of the box - so to speak.

They weren't detected during the install, but on the first boot I was able
to go to Administration -> Networks and the wireless device was listed and
recognised. I was able to configure and activate the wireless card with
immediate and lasting effect.

Chris Hope

steve wrote:

> Chris Hope wrote:
>
>> Nova wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I am going to try Ubantu next as have heard that is a pretty well
>>> packaged distro.

>> One you might want to also try is Mepis. It's a Debian based distro
>> on one cd that works as a live cd which you can choose to install if
>> you want once you have it going. I've had a couple of customers try
>> loads and loads of distros and for both of them Mepis turned out to
>> be their favourite.

> Mepis doesn't have the wirelss support I need to get up and
> running.....whereas Ubuntu supported by cheapo DSE 802.11b $60
> wireless card right out of the box - so to speak.

I wasn't aware of that but it's good to know. Does it have no wireless
support or just not support your card's chipset?

> They weren't detected during the install, but on the first boot I was
> able to go to Administration -> Networks and the wireless device was
> listed and recognised. I was able to configure and activate the
> wireless card with immediate and lasting effect.

Very good. Kanotix is yet another Debian based live CD with installer
(it's based on Knoppix). It's reckoned by most to have some of the best
hardware support around. But then Ubuntu is supposed to be excellent as
well and they both have synaptic for installating additional software.

steve

Chris Hope wrote:

> steve wrote:

>> Mepis doesn't have the wirelss support I need to get up and
>> running.....whereas Ubuntu supported by cheapo DSE 802.11b $60
>> wireless card right out of the box - so to speak.

> I wasn't aware of that but it's good to know. Does it have no wireless
> support or just not support your card's chipset?

I can't recall clearly. It just didn't work at a time when I really wanted
SOMETHING to work....so I moved on.

I try many different distros - often several in one day over Xmas/NewYear
Hols - that things can be a bit of blur later.

I'll try it gaain and let you know.

>> They weren't detected during the install, but on the first boot I was
>> able to go to Administration -> Networks and the wireless device was
>> listed and recognised. I was able to configure and activate the
>> wireless card with immediate and lasting effect.

> Very good. Kanotix is yet another Debian based live CD with installer
> (it's based on Knoppix). It's reckoned by most to have some of the best
> hardware support around. But then Ubuntu is supposed to be excellent as
> well and they both have synaptic for installating additional software.

I'll see what's the advantage over Knoppix....and whether it's worth the
download.

Often, there isn't much difference between derivatives judging from the
release notes.......and you get the dog / fire hydrant sense.....

Enkidu

Nova wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>
>> Nova wrote:
>>

>>> The first thing I decide to do is upgrade firefox on the system to
>>> version 1.5. i browse to the firefox website and download the linux
>>> distribution.
>>>
>>> The linux installation instructions..
>>>
>>> "Extract the tarball in the directory where you want to install Firefox:
>>>
>>> tar -xzvf firefox-1.5.tar.gz
>>>
>>> This will create a firefox subdirectory of that directory."
>>>

>> Duh! You install a distro and the FIRST thing you do is install a
>> tarball? Back to Windows with you!!

> No, you didn't read, I merely pointed out that is what the vendors
> instructions say to do, but thanks for people so helpful anyway, always
> good to get helpful advise from people like yourself.

Firefox is free so there are no vendors! But anyway, I was kidding. I'd
advise sticking with the distro's package system.

By the way, when a distro package system is used to update it, it first
needs to download a list of new and updated software and this can take
quite a time. I don't know Fedora's system, but I'd suspect that it was
downloading the list of updates.

Cheers,

Cliff

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Peter wrote:
> Enkidu wrote:
>

>>>This will create a firefox subdirectory of that directory."
>>>

>>Duh! You install a distro and the FIRST thing you do is install a
>>tarball? Back to Windows with you!!

> Hey, Cliff, this is not nz.politics we should be kind and gentle to those
> feeling their way with Linux.

Indeed we should, but it may have helped if the original poster
had asked for help, and not just spouted off that 'it was easier
with windows'. Those who ask for help will receive it.

I do think the docs with most Linux software and distros could be
better, but I also agree with Cliff - some people are just not cut
out for the freedom of choice and range of options in Linux. Those
people are best left inside the dumbed-down Windows GUI...

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

Enkidu

Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> I do think the docs with most Linux software and distros could be
> better, but I also agree with Cliff - some people are just not cut
> out for the freedom of choice and range of options in Linux. Those
> people are best left inside the dumbed-down Windows GUI...

Hey, I don't REALLY think that!

Cheers,

Cliff

Chris Wilkinson

Hi there,

Enkidu wrote:
> Chris Wilkinson wrote:
>

>> I do think the docs with most Linux software and distros could be
>> better, but I also agree with Cliff - some people are just not cut out
>> for the freedom of choice and range of options in Linux. Those people
>> are best left inside the dumbed-down Windows GUI...
>>

> Hey, I don't REALLY think that!

Drat! Yet another failed train of thought divination...

Its obvious peoples thoughts are just as random as the
weather, which makes predicting either pretty difficult.
I think I'll stick to predicting weather, since I'll not
upset the weather by getting it wrong!

--
Kind regards,

Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

brianM

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:39:29 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Peter wrote:

>>>Duh! You install a distro and the FIRST thing you do is install a
>>>tarball? Back to Windows with you!!

>> Hey, Cliff, this is not nz.politics we should be kind and gentle to
>> those feeling their way with Linux.

> Indeed we should, but it may have helped if the original poster had
> asked for help, and not just spouted off that 'it was easier with
> windows'. Those who ask for help will receive it.
>
> I do think the docs with most Linux software and distros could be
> better, but I also agree with Cliff - some people are just not cut out
> for the freedom of choice and range of options in Linux. Those people
> are best left inside the dumbed-down Windows GUI...

Missed the earlier threads but I'm puzzled why a new Linux user would
choose Fedora Core when there are several other more polished (imho)
distros like Mandriva, Xandros (brilliant for the Windows transition),
SUSE, Ubuntu or Kubuntu - I have used RH6 to FC4 so I have some
knowledge of this line of distros and its not the entry-level one I would
have recommended to an escapee from the dark side. :=)

cheers
Brian

Waylon Kenning

T'was the Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:39:29 +1000 when I remembered Chris
Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:

>I do think the docs with most Linux software and distros could be
>better, but I also agree with Cliff - some people are just not cut
>out for the freedom of choice and range of options in Linux. Those
>people are best left inside the dumbed-down Windows GUI...

That's a pretty elitist way of thinking.
--
Cheers,

Waylon Kenning.

shannon

Waylon Kenning wrote:
> T'was the Wed, 25 Jan 2006 17:39:29 +1000 when I remembered Chris
> Wilkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> saying something like this:
>
>> I do think the docs with most Linux software and distros could be
>> better, but I also agree with Cliff - some people are just not cut
>> out for the freedom of choice and range of options in Linux. Those
>> people are best left inside the dumbed-down Windows GUI...

> That's a pretty elitist way of thinking.
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Waylon Kenning.

How so ?