Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Calling mobile in UK, cheapest?

Calling mobile in UK, cheapest?

steve

grumpyoldhori wrote:

> steve wrote:
>
>> A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.

> Is that with Skype,Steve
> grumpy

No.

If you call a mobile number in the UK from your home land line, you'll pay
the same rate to that country as you would to a landline phone in that
country.

If this isn't the case, I'd be very surprised.

How could a mobile company in the UK charge you some un-advertised and
unknown rate to call their subscriber?

The legal and financial mechanics for the businesses concerned in the call
completion don't bear thinking about if that were the case.

steve

http://www.skype.com/products/skypeo...=NZD#listing-U

http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDe...=21&subnav=6#U

> Its because they get charged more for terminating into the mobile
> network at the other end. Same story if someone in the UK calls into a
> NZ mobile
>
> At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
> mobile as well as outgoing

So using Skype for calling overseas mobiles isn't a good idea.

Best to use the - cheaper - landline.

I thought the OP was asking for the cheapest way.......but didn't think he
meant VoIP only.

steve

Crash wrote:

> Nathan Mercer wrote:
> [snip]
>> At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
>> mobile as well as outgoing

> IIRC the reason for that is in the North American numbering plan there is
> no provision for cellphones. The use of <area code> <number> is universal
> and you
> cannot tell if you are calling a cellphone or not. In almost every other
> country the numbering plan allows the numbers used for cellphones to be
> easily recognised so therefore the caller is ware that a cost will accrue
> in dialling cellphone numbers.
>
> Crash.

They are only easily recognised if you know the numbering scheme.

A guy in Japan won't know that +64-27-<number> is a cellphone, while
+64-06-<number> isn't.

Jason Fanning

steve wrote:
> grumpyoldhori wrote:
>
>> steve wrote:
>>
>>> A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.

>> Is that with Skype,Steve
>> grumpy

> No.
>
> If you call a mobile number in the UK from your home land line, you'll pay
> the same rate to that country as you would to a landline phone in that
> country.
>
> If this isn't the case, I'd be very surprised.
>
> How could a mobile company in the UK charge you some un-advertised and
> unknown rate to call their subscriber?
>
> The legal and financial mechanics for the businesses concerned in the call
> completion don't bear thinking about if that were the case.

You pay the same up to a point, with the Telecom call capping they don't
include international mobiles. It is a common practice to charge more
to call a mobile internationally.

wadefleming@yahoo.com

steve wrote:
> grumpyoldhori wrote:
>
> > steve wrote:
> >
> >> A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.

> > Is that with Skype,Steve
> > grumpy

> No.
>
> If you call a mobile number in the UK from your home land line, you'll pay
> the same rate to that country as you would to a landline phone in that
> country.
>
> If this isn't the case, I'd be very surprised.
>
> How could a mobile company in the UK charge you some un-advertised and
> unknown rate to call their subscriber?
>
> The legal and financial mechanics for the businesses concerned in the call
> completion don't bear thinking about if that were the case.

Calls to mobiles from a landline ARE more expensive. It has been that
way for years.

http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3...1-1461,00.html

'International Calls to mobile phones in 40 countries cost more than
calls to fixed-line phones and are excluded from $3 and $6
International Weekends and Weeknights and other International Caps.

United Kingdom $0.99(Peak) $0.59(Off Peak)

Calls to a landline are $0.65 (Peak) $0.(54 Off Peak)

As someone else said, the termination rates to mobiles are a lot
higher.

Nathan Mercer

steve wrote:

> >> A call to a mobile costs the same as to any other phone.

> > Not on Skype - there it is NZ$0.356 per minute
> >

> http://www.skype.com/products/skypeo...=NZD#listing-U
> >
> > Same with other VoIP providers
> > ie NZ$0.30 per minute on Slingshot iTalk
> >

> http://www.slingshot.co.nz/DesktopDe...=21&subnav=6#U
> >
> > Its because they get charged more for terminating into the mobile
> > network at the other end. Same story if someone in the UK calls into a
> > NZ mobile
> >
> > At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
> > mobile as well as outgoing

> So using Skype for calling overseas mobiles isn't a good idea.
>
> Best to use the - cheaper - landline.
>
> I thought the OP was asking for the cheapest way.......but didn't think he
> meant VoIP only.

A fixed line telco, like Telecom, let you ring a UK mobile for cheaper
than 35c a minute?

I doubt it

Cheers
Nathan

Nathan Mercer

steve wrote:
> > Nathan Mercer wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> At least you're not in the US, I get charged for receiving calls on my
> >> mobile as well as outgoing

> > IIRC the reason for that is in the North American numbering plan there is
> > no provision for cellphones. The use of <area code> <number> is universal
> > and you
> > cannot tell if you are calling a cellphone or not. In almost every other
> > country the numbering plan allows the numbers used for cellphones to be
> > easily recognised so therefore the caller is ware that a cost will accrue
> > in dialling cellphone numbers.
> >
> > Crash.

> They are only easily recognised if you know the numbering scheme.
>
> A guy in Japan won't know that +64-27-<number> is a cellphone, while
> +64-06-<number> isn't.

At least there is a chance of knowing, instead of just guessing when
fixed and mobile share the same prefix

steve

> Calls to mobiles from a landline ARE more expensive. It has been that
> way for years.
>
> http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3...1-1461,00.html
>
> 'International Calls to mobile phones in 40 countries cost more than
> calls to fixed-line phones and are excluded from $3 and $6
> International Weekends and Weeknights and other International Caps.
>
> United Kingdom $0.99(Peak) $0.59(Off Peak)
>
> Calls to a landline are $0.65 (Peak) $0.(54 Off Peak)
>
> As someone else said, the termination rates to mobiles are a lot
> higher.

Hmmmm. OK.

Must be because I usually call Canadian cellphones....and I've never seen
any extra charges that I recognised as such.

steve

Nathan Mercer wrote:

> A fixed line telco, like Telecom, let you ring a UK mobile for cheaper
> than 35c a minute?
>
> I doubt it

I checked the Telecom web site.

What I am saying is true for Canada and the US.

Calling a mobile in those countries is the same as calling a land line.

But for a list of 40 countries, you do have to pay extra. I didn't realise
as I have never called any mobiles in those countries - but I do regularly
call mobiles in North America where there is no difference.

Hence my confusion.

Thanks for promting me to look into the detail.

http://www.telecom.co.nz/content/0,3...1-1461,00.html