Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > Email virii - messagev only or onlyn in attachments.

Email virii - messagev only or onlyn in attachments.

Crash

Greetings all,

Is it possible to activate a virus merely by opening a message? I have fairly
sure text messages will always be 'safe' but wondered about html messages.

TIA,
Crash.

Enkidu

Crash wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> Is it possible to activate a virus merely by opening a message? I have
> fairly sure text messages will always be 'safe' but wondered about html
> messages.

Javascript in HTML may do nasty things, so yes, it is possible to
activate *something* by opening an HTML message.

Cheers,

Cliff

Dave Doe

In article <g4%Af.19594$(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...
> Greetings all,
>
> Is it possible to activate a virus merely by opening a message? I have fairly
> sure text messages will always be 'safe' but wondered about html messages.

Good email clients block html content that "points back to the web" - ie
isn't local. (eg. an html image that is not imbedded, but rather got
from a server).

It would help if you mentioned what email client are you using?

--
Duncan

Shane

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 20:09:28 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

> Crash wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> Is it possible to activate a virus merely by opening a message? I have
>> fairly sure text messages will always be 'safe' but wondered about html
>> messages.
>>

> Javascript in HTML may do nasty things, so yes, it is possible to activate
> *something* by opening an HTML message.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Cliff

add something like that recent wmf vulnerability, and something *claiming*
to be a .jpeg could execute code on a computer, just by opening the mail

--
What makes the universe so hard to comprehend is that there's nothing
to compare it with.