Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > NZ Computing > poor dvd writer performance

poor dvd writer performance

Andrew

I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
way through writing

Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
later it would start again

I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
sped up - back to normal speed

Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??

Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

Grant

news:fnWAf.19533$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going
>very very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour,
>Nero counts down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its
>not even a third the way through writing
>
> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and
> i start writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause
> and 1-2 mins later it would start again
>

> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide
> cable as the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it)
> and the dvd writer sped up - back to normal speed
>

> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
>
> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was
> bad

Did you check that the IDE controller has not reverted to PIO mode
instead of Ultra DMA.
Look in the device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,
Primary or Secondary IDE Channel, Properties, Advanced settings

Andrew

Grant wrote:
> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fnWAf.19533$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going
>> very very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour,
>> Nero counts down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its
>> not even a third the way through writing
>>
>> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and
>> i start writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause
>> and 1-2 mins later it would start again
>>

>> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide
>> cable as the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it)
>> and the dvd writer sped up - back to normal speed
>>

>> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
>>
>> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was
>> bad

> Did you check that the IDE controller has not reverted to PIO mode
> instead of Ultra DMA.
> Look in the device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,
> Primary or Secondary IDE Channel, Properties, Advanced settings

Yeap, Sorry forgot to mention that, Its ultra dma mode 2 (dvd) dma 5
(hard drive)

Gordon

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:32:59 +1300, Andrew wrote:

> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
> very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
> down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
> way through writing
>
> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
> writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
> later it would start again
>

> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
> the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
> sped up - back to normal speed
>

> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
>
> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

But is the PC using that HD? Some task, malware or otherwise running in
the backgoround. Just a thought.

Andrew

Gordon wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:32:59 +1300, Andrew wrote:
>
>> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
>> very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
>> down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
>> way through writing
>>
>> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
>> writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
>> later it would start again
>>

>> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
>> the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
>> sped up - back to normal speed
>>

>> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
>>
>> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

> But is the PC using that HD? Some task, malware or otherwise running in
> the backgoround. Just a thought.

There are no programs on that hard drive.. Just a bunch of mp3s

the performance is consistantly bad.. straight after a reboot its the
same as after ive used the machine for anything

Andrew

Gordon wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 14:32:59 +1300, Andrew wrote:
>
>> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
>> very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
>> down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
>> way through writing
>>
>> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
>> writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
>> later it would start again
>>

>> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
>> the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
>> sped up - back to normal speed
>>

>> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
>>
>> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

> But is the PC using that HD? Some task, malware or otherwise running in
> the backgoround. Just a thought.

I will however double check for malware on the system

~misfit~

Andrew wrote:
> Grant wrote:
>> "Andrew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:fnWAf.19533$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going
>>> very very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour,
>>> Nero counts down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its
>>> not even a third the way through writing
>>>
>>> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and
>>> i start writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause
>>> and 1-2 mins later it would start again
>>>

>>> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide
>>> cable as the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it)
>>> and the dvd writer sped up - back to normal speed
>>>

>>> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
>>>
>>> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was
>>> bad

>> Did you check that the IDE controller has not reverted to PIO mode
>> instead of Ultra DMA.
>> Look in the device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers,
>> Primary or Secondary IDE Channel, Properties, Advanced settings
>>

> Yeap, Sorry forgot to mention that, Its ultra dma mode 2 (dvd) dma 5
> (hard drive)

IDE timing fault with the mp3 drive? Can you try it as primary slave? See if
it slows down the main HDD. Maybe the HDD is borked.
--
~misfit~

Dave Taylor

Andrew <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:fnWAf.19533$vH5.907539
@news.xtra.co.nz:

> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
>
> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

Master /slave or Cable Select. Check the jumpers and positions of the
devices on the cable. Check the cable by swapping it out with a known good
one.

--
Ciao, Dave

GraB

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
>very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
>down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
>way through writing
>
>Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
>writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
>later it would start again
>

>I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
>the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
>sped up - back to normal speed
>

>Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
>
>Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

How many drives do you have? Three?

DVD writers work best when jumpered and connected as Master. Best
have the hard drives on the first channel and the DVD writer on the
second channel.

Collector»NZ

Andrew wrote:
> I hae noticed in the past week or so that my dvd writer is going very
> very slow, Burning dvds take forever - more then an hour, Nero counts
> down the time remaining and it gets to zero and its not even a third the
> way through writing
>
> Yesterday i found that while playing music from the computer and i start
> writing a dvd during the lead in the music would pause and 1-2 mins
> later it would start again
>

> I unplugged the hard drive that was connected to the same ide cable as
> the dvd writer (same drive that has the music on it) and the dvd writer
> sped up - back to normal speed
>

> Why would a hard drive hold back the dvd writer so much??
>
> Even when im not using that hard drive the dvd performance was bad

Check that the drive running the buffer space and any temp files for the writer
program is not full or being used excessively by some other application

| Local 38.2330S, 175.8670E |
*Slow day Posts Blog*